Under the direction of the Senior Director of Business Services, the Associate Director of Commercial Services is responsible for the university strategic services in the following areas: commercial services, real estate services, and shared services (Spartan Shops Inc. and other University entities, et al). The position is responsible for providing solutions and value to the SJSU community and supports achieving the university's mission and goals. Key Responsibilities
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Develops and implements business plans for assigned commercial contracts and services and other assigned revenue generating contracts
- Oversees activities including contract performance, revenue goals, and administration for assigned units and shared services projects
- Collaborates with business units in the development of appropriate sourcing and revenue projects
- Ensures compliance with accounting, contracting, risk, and related units in the performance of business plans
- Prepares and documents budget plans and reports, revenues and expenses, and performance measures
- Oversees property management contract including property maintenance, repair, renovation; and financial goals
- Recommends, justifies, and coordinates projects that enhance the property management plan including any improvements
- Responsible for lease administration including maintaining knowledge of lease agreements topics like CPI increases, escalations, recoveries, risk, and other special conditions
- Prepares and manages financial reports including tenant billing, occupancy rates and lease expirations, operating budgets, and expenditures.
- Ensures emergency evacuation procedures are in place and review regularly with tenants and campus
- Ensures compliance with accounting, contracting, risk, and related units in the performance of business plans and tenant management
- Knowledge of commercial contracts and property management practices
- Ability to read, analyze, write, and review contracts and leasing agreements
- Ability to analyze situations accurately and adopt effective course of action
- Ability to research, understand, interpret and apply technical procedures or regulations as well as federal, state, CSU and university policies and procedures.
- Ability to handle multiple work priorities, organize and plan work and projects
- Ability to establish positive working relationships with students, faculty, administrators, staff, and community members
- Skilled in leadership, staff supervision, strategic planning, and problem solving
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Bachelor's Degree in business or public administration
- Three years of progressively responsible experience in commercial services, real estate services, or purchasing, including direct involvement in contract management and negotiation
- Public sector contract administration experience
- Property management experience
- Experience working in higher education
- Experience using PeopleSoft purchasing module
Classification: Administrator II
Hiring Range: Commensurate with experience
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: May 24, 2022 through June 13, 2022
. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university. Contact Information
408-924-2252 CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus (including all booster doses of an approved vaccine for which an individual is eligible per current CDC recommendations) or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. As a condition of employment, any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as well as with other safety measures established on the campus. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/
and questions may be sent to email@example.com
. Additional Information
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Housing Fire Safety Notification:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the Annual Security Report (ASR) is also now available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Security-Report.pdf.
The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and Sexual Assault prevention information, and information about drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery crimes for San José State University locations for the three most recent calendar years. A paper copy of the ASR is available upon request by contacting the Office of the Clery Director by phone at 408-924-1501 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Pursuant to the Higher Education Opportunity Act, the Annual Fire Safety Report (AFSR) is also available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Fire-Safety-Report.pdf
. The purpose of this report is to disclose statistics for fires that occurred within SJSU on-campus housing facilities for the three most recent calendar years, and to distribute fire safety policies and procedures intended to promote safety on Campus. A paper copy of the AFSR is available upon request by contacting the Housing Office by phone at 408-795-5600 or by email at email@example.com
.Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled