The Office of the Assessor-County Clerk-Recorder and Chief Elections Officer is seeking an IS Data Specialist I
Under general supervision, the incumbent in this role performs technical tasks related to the configuration, troubleshooting, maintenance, and monitoring of the Assessor's databases, data models, and data platforms such as the Lease and Sale database and the Assessment Appeals database. In addition, the incumbent performs database performance analysis and assists in building interfaces between enterprise databases and end-user query tools; performs analysis, troubleshoots database problems, and ensures data integrity; creates reports; provides recommendations, support, and training to staff and Assessor's office users in areas of responsibility; and performs related work as required. The incumbent also performs specialized and complex office support duties related to collecting, assembling, processing, and maintaining data for tax appraisal, and for departmental and external reporting purposes, including using Excel and Word.
Additional duties include assisting in preparing and maintaining numerous worksheets, templates, reports, and surveys, performing other Standards and Training duties and responsibilities as assigned, and supporting department management by providing assistance using department-specific applications and generic software products, including spreadsheets, database, word processing, and graphics products.
Examples Of Duties Duties may include, but are not limited, to the following:
NOTE: This is an extra-help, at-will assignment,
- Provide key assistance to plan, coordinate, install, implement, test, and maintain databases and applications including the Assessor Lease and Sale database and the Assessment Appeals database; help design and maintain database infrastructure; create and manipulate spatial data tables and layers; and integrate data and functionality with other specialized applications.
- Monitor, tune, and optimize database and application performance.
- Resolve database errors and failures, manage system access, audit activities and resource utilization, and generate database objects availability.
- Gather, process, record, verify, enter, and input / integrate real property lease and sale data from various sources, including data request forms, online submissions, and subscription based real estate data and information services.
- May interact with property owners, contractors, real estate agents, property managers, and their staff to obtain and/or verify sale and lease data related to personal and real property assessments.
- Perform daily system support functions such as collecting and preparing data for maintaining assessment appeals database.
- Aid in maintaining subscription information and user lists for various software and services.
- Provide operational assistance required by users of specific database applications and software products used by the Assessor's Office.
- Provide product-specific guidance and instruction to users of departmental Microsoft SharePoint site, assessment appeals portal, and other such applications software as may be assigned.
- Consult with internal and external services for expert assistance when problem resolution is undetermined.
- Identify needs and improvement opportunities to simplify and streamline the interfaces between users and the applications software used.
- Perform daily, weekly, and monthly backups of files.
- Prepare and/or participate in the preparation of written instruction procedures for the operation of Departmental information sources, databases, and applications.
- Prepare written instructions to enable a backup to temporarily assume the position.
- Assist in identifying and analyzing opportunities for automating data and information processing and reporting in the department.
- On a project basis, serve as a team member in analyzing and implementing moderately complex database and information projects.
- Stay informed of new trends and innovations in technology related to operations; implement improvements; and work with staff to maintain, revise, or improve operations and systems.
- Perform difficult and complex support work and assist with special projects.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
paid on an hourly basis. Some extra help positions are eligible for benefits under the Affordable Care Act. Extra-help workers are not guaranteed permanent status at the end of the extra-help assignment.
Qualifications Education and Experience:
Any combination of training and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required qualifications would be:
- Education: Equivalent to graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in management information systems, computer science, or a related field. Additional related experience may substitute for education requirement on a year-for-year basis, up to four (4) years.
- Experience: One year of experience in providing database management technical support specific to the specialty area assigned which includes logical and physical database administration; integration; business intelligence, analytics, and report scripting; and/or data quality and integrity.
- Policies, procedures, practices, and terminology related to the areas assigned.
- Modern office practices, methods, and computer equipment and applications related to the work.
- Data processing, and data management theory, principles, and practices.
- Excel and Word to create complex worksheets, templates, lists, and mail merge documents.
- Correct English usage including grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- Principles and procedures of record keeping.
- Computer hardware, applications software, file management and file backup.
- County-standard PC software products, and occasionally for instructing others in their use.
- Procedures necessary to maintain the integrity and security of data in the departmental systems.
- Various software packages including word processing, spreadsheet, SQL database and database management, and reporting tools.
- Customer service and telephone techniques.
- Learn policies, procedures, practices, and terminology related to the areas assigned.
- Learn and understand the organization, operation, and functions of the department as necessary to assume assigned responsibilities.
- Review, analyze, record, and interpret complex information.
- Install, configure, test, upgrade, and tune databases.
- Plan, organize, direct and coordinate data collecting, assembling, processing, and maintenance services.
- Identify, troubleshoot, and resolve basic database problems and perform minor repairs.
- Use Excel to create and maintain complex worksheets, templates, and information tools for appraisal and appraisal-related work.
- Perform basic technical support functions for assigned responsibilities; troubleshoot problems and take appropriate action or escalate to appropriate staff as needed.
- Participate in design sessions or process improvement sessions and provide sound recommendations, and technical input.
- Operate modern office equipment including computer equipment and specialized software applications programs.
- Use various office automation tools such as word processing and spreadsheet applications.
- Organize, maintain, and update files and records systems.
- Prioritize work and perform multiple activities.
- Type letters, forms, and other documents; prepare correspondence and reports.
- Understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Develop alternative solutions to problems.
- Use English effectively to communicate in person, over the telephone, and in writing.
- Establish, maintain, and foster positive, effective, and cooperative working relationships with others, and coordinate work with a variety of individuals and organizations.
Application/Examination This is an extra-help recruitment. Anyone may apply.
Responses to the supplemental questions must be submitted in addition to our regular employment application form. A resume will not be accepted as a substitute for the required employment application and supplemental questionnaire. Open. Anyone may apply.
Applications for this position will only be accepted online. If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the "Apply"
button. If you are not on the County's website, please go to https://jobs.smcgov.org
to apply. A supplemental application form must be submitted in addition to the standard County employment application form. A resume will not be accepted as a substitute for the required application materials.
The examination process will consist of an application screening (weight: pass/fail) based on the candidate's application and responses to the supplemental questions. Candidates who pass the application screening will be invited to a panel interview (weight: 100%). Depending on the number of applicants, an application appraisal of education and experience may be used in place of other examinations, or further evaluation of work experience may be conducted to group applicants by level of qualification . All applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through any subsequent phase of the examination. All examinations will be given in San Mateo County, California, and applicants must participate at their own expense. IMPORTANT: Applications for this position will only be accepted online.
If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the "Apply"
button above. If you are not on the County's website, please go to https://jobs.smcgov.org
to apply. Apply immediately. This recruitment is open on a continuous basis and may close at any time. Selections may be made at any time within the process. The final filing date will be posted five days in advance on this job announcement. ~ TENTATIVE RECRUITMENT SCHEDULE ~
Applications will be reviewed upon submission, and interviews will be conducted on a continuous basis until the position is filled. Please apply immediately.
The County of San Mateo may require that all employees provide proof of COVID-19 vaccine or comply with weekly COVID-19 testing. Employees hired into specified health care facilities and other high-risk settings where there is potential for frequent COVID-19 exposure to staff and highly vulnerable patients are required to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination. For more specific information, please refer to the County's COVID-19 Vaccine and Testing Policy
.The County of San Mateo is a diverse, inclusive workplace, where employees are valued and respected for their different perspectives, experiences, backgrounds, and contributions. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Analyst: Erika Moreno (05242022) (IS Data Specialist I -V272)