Salary: $19.22 per hour USD
Expected Start Date: March 28, 2022 or sooner
Salary Level: $19.22 per hour
Additional Information: In accordance with Governor Jay Inslee’s announced Proclamation 21-14.1 on August 18th, 2021, all K-12 school district employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by October 18th, 2021. Candidates who are extended a conditional offer of employment with Tacoma Public Schools will be required to submit proof of vaccination status in compliance with Governor Inslee’s mandate, prior to official hire with the district. Individuals qualifying for a medical and/or religious exemption outlined under the Governor’s directive will be required to provide proof of exemption prior to official hire with the district. Tacoma Public Schools Human Resources will work directly with candidates to finalize proof of compliance with the Governor’s mandate prior to official hire.
Additional Resources and Information:
• Press Release from WA Governor’s Office
• Proclamation by the Governor: COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
• OSPI Vaccination Requirement FAQ
• Vaccine Mandate FAQs
• DOH Vaccine fact sheet
Examples Of Duties
This position assists the head coach in carrying out the objectives of the athletic program. The employee must understand and abide by all building, Tacoma School District and Washington Interscholastic Activities Association (WIAA) policies, regulations, procedures and guidelines.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
1. Supervises student athletes to promote effective student learning through participation in athletic activities.
2. Assists the head coach in preparing athletes both physically and mentally to participate with confidence and self-assurance in athletic contests; administers discipline when necessary in a fair and consistent manner; emphasizes safety precautions; provides opportunities for each participant to achieve some success.
3. Assists in overseeing practice sessions that are both stimulating and instructive, and conducted on a regular daily basis with the idea of developing the athlete’s greatest potential; teaches basic fundamental skills of the sport; emphasizes and promotes good sportsmanship in the conduct of team members and coaches; abides by regulations in the Coaches’ Handbook
4. Follows district procedures for handling injuries.
5. Oversees the issuing equipment; maintains records including dates and times of issuance; assures the systematic return of all equipment, the cleaning and storing of equipment; performs weekly safety check for all equipment; holds students responsible for lost equipment; completes inventory lists and provides copies to the building athletic director.
OTHER JOB DUTIES
1. Attends all district and building athletic meetings as called by building athletic director and/or district athletic director.
2. Updates knowledge by attending clinics, workshops, and maintaining familiarity with current athletic programs; keeps current with regard to rule changes as adopted by WIAA and Tacoma School District
3. Performs related duties as assigned.
Reports to the Head Coach, the Building Athletic Director and/or Principal or designee.
Work with students in outdoor playing field, indoor and outdoor courts, gymnasium, swimming pool or other sports facility; physical ability to lift and move sports equipment and demonstrate sports skills when necessary; may be exposed to infectious diseases and inclement weather.
Education and Experience
Graduation from high school or equivalent and some coaching experience; must be at least 19 years of age (WIAA regulation); or any combination of experience and training which provides the applicant with the knowledge, skills, and ability required to perform the work and that meets federal and state requirements.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be evaluated by the Human Resources department for comparability.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of building, Tacoma School District, and WIAA policies, regulations, procedures and guidelines.
Knowledge of the particular sport.
Ability to comply with WIAA coaching standards.
Ability to exercise fairness in dealing with student athletes.
Ability to motivate student athletes.
Ability to conduct oneself in an ethical and exemplary manner at all times.
Ability to maintain poise and composure during practice and games.
Ability to relate to and work with students of differing athletic abilities.
Ability to establish and maintain effective work and student relationships with a variety of people in a multi-cultural, diverse socio-economic setting.
Ability to maintain accurate records.
First Aid Certificate, CPR card and AED training are required.
Red Cross Safety Training or Lifeguard certification is also required for swimming, diving and water polo coaches.
New description created 1/12/06. Revised: 06/10/08 (added AED training).
Control # D41-02
This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. District administration has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice. The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the primary functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility, but should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise balance the workload.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous