Description: Classification: 12-Month Coach CSU Salary Schedule Hours:
Full-time / 40 hours per week FLSA:
Exempt Priority Screening Date:
May 27, 2022Recruitment Status:
Open Until FilledABOUT CSUMB
Powered by an inspiring Founding Vision Statement
, California State University, Monterey Bay
(CSUMB) is a mid-sized comprehensive baccalaureate and masters granting university whose staff and faculty help transform student lives through a focus on student success and engagement through project-based learning, service learning in its regional community, and the promotion of multicultural and global perspectives on and beyond campus. CSUMB is both a Minority Serving Institution (MSI) and a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and has a vibrant, diverse student body of over 7,400 students. The university's Strategic Plan
prioritizes inclusive excellence through recruiting and investing in the development of a diverse body of faculty, staff, and administrators. CSUMB's sustainability initiative is to be carbon neutral by 2030. The university's faculty and staff, many of whom live in the East Campus housing development, appreciate living and working so close to the shores of the beautiful Monterey Bay. As one of the 23 campuses in the California State University (CSU) system, CSUMB offers excellent benefits, including access to below-market-rate campus housing and competitive salaries for faculty and staff. PURPOSE:
Under the general direction of the Director of Athletics, the Head Women's Basketball Coach will be responsible for all aspects of the women's basketball program. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to: coaching, recruiting, scheduling, budget management, and overall administration of a NCAA Division II women's basketball program. Credentials should reflect proven success in coaching, recruiting, and working with student-athletes. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Organizes, provides leadership for, and conducts all phases of Women's Basketball Program.
- Supervises staff and establishes a strong working relationship with department staff and University community.
- Supports the department's commitment to academic excellence in all interactions with prospects, student-athletes and faculty.
- Monitors student-athlete academic standing to ensure that progress-toward-degree is being met and there is a clear path to graduation.
- Promotes and maintains a culture of compliance regarding institutional policies & procedures and NCAA Division II & CCAA bylaws.
- Develops student-athletes physically, mentally, and emotionally for NCAA Division II competition. Support mission, activities and involvement of women's basketball student-athletes on the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC).
- Plans and supervises practices and provides game coaching in a manner that will promote team excellence, individual growth, development and team unity.
- Develops a quality NCAA Division II schedule that will provide competitive opportunities for student-athletes, meet institutional and West Regional scheduling criteria and contribute to achieving the goal of participating in NCAA Division II postseason competition.
- Plans and administers the women's basketball budget, arranges for and manages all aspects of team travel, and purchases supplies and equipment for women's basketball program.
- Creates an enthusiastic following and support among faculty, students, and staff. Actively engages with campus community as well as local schools and club basketball programs. Organizes and manages camps and clinics.
- Maximizes the abilities of assistant coaches and develops a strong coaching staff through effective organization and planning. Actively participates in professional development for self as well as supports professional development when appropriate for assistant coaches.
Performs other job-related duties and special projects as assigned.KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Knowledge and technical skills necessary to coach basketball. Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with coaches, student-athletes, students, faculty, administration and the community. Proven ability to lead and manage people. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in a related field and 3-5 years of progressively responsible experience in coaching basketball. Thorough knowledge of and commitment to NCAA bylaws.PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS/DESIRABLE EXPERIENCE:
Master's degree and 3-5 years of intercollegiate basketball coaching experience. Technical fluency with Microsoft Office Professional Suite, and Google mail and calendaring programs. Highly desirable:
Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to CSUMB's vision. SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT & POSITION DESIGNATIONS:
- All offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check (including a criminal records check).
- The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
- This position will have a duty to report to the Campus Title IX Officer information pertaining to victims of sex discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, dating/domestic violence, and stalking as required by CSU Executive Order 1095.
- Must possess and maintain a valid license to drive in the State of California, pass the Defensive Training Class, and be insurable under the University's liability coverage.
- Must be able to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends, on a regular basis.
Office environment with standard equipment and tasks. Requires travel between campus offices and off-campus locations.
The health and safety of our students, faculty, and staff remain our highest priority. While on campus, students, faculty, staff, and the community will be expected to follow all campus safety mandates. Per the CSU COVID-19 Vaccination Interim Policy, all students and employees are required to submit their vaccination status to the Otter Vaccination Registry and are encouraged to be vaccinated. BENEFITS/PERKS:
CSUMB offers a premium benefit package that includes outstanding vacation, health, dental and vision plans; membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS); and 14-paid holidays a year. For more information, visit CSU System Benefits
. Additionally, as a perk, the University Corporation at CSU Monterey Bay provides access to affordable campus housing based on availability; visit Schoonover Employee Housing
for more information. APPLICATION PROCEDURE:
For full consideration, applicants must complete the required online application prior to the priority screen date found at csumb.edu/jobs
. Application submissions received after the application screening date will be reviewed at the discretion of the University. Materials submitted become the property of CSUMB and will not be returned. Questions, inquiries, and nominations can be forwarded to Dr. Kurt Patberg, Senior Vice President of Athletics Staffing and Consultants at kpatberg.ASC@gmail.com
. CSUMB is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions.
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting University Personnel at (831) 582-3389. All employees must be eligible for employment in the U.S. GENERAL INFORMATION:
CSUMB hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States and is an E-Verify employer. In compliance with federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics, you can view the notice of availability and access the Cal State University, Monterey Bay annual security and fire safety reports at https://csumb.edu/clery/asr-and-fsr-notices-availability/
Working in the State of California is a condition of employment.
CSUMB is a smoke and tobacco-free campus. AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
CSUMB is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. We value and celebrate diversity in all its forms and strive to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion. We consider qualified applicants for employment for their anticipated contributions and without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled