This Athletic Official position will be filled at one of the following levels depending on qualifications: Athletic Official I: (Salary: $16.00 per hour)
- Must be at least 18 years of age with a minimum of 3 months officiating experience. OR
Notes to Applicants
- Must have CPR / AED and First Aid certifications within thirty (30) days of hire date.
The City of Austin Parks and Recreation Department ( PARD )
provides, protects and preserves a park system that promotes quality recreational, cultural and outdoor experiences for the Austin community. Working with the City of Austin provides a number of health and welfare benefits, such as medical, paid leave time, a great retirement plan, training opportunities and more! Click HERE
for more information.
of the Temporary Seasonal - Athletic Official I
positions will be to officiate Youth, Teen, Adult Sport Leagues and Sport Specific Clinics at various City of Austin Recreation Centers and at the Krieg Multi-Purpose Field. Application Instructions/Job Requirements:
- Application: A detailed, complete application is required, and applicants must include on their Employment Record all experience (work and/or volunteer) related to this job posting - up to 10 years or more; this will be used to determine your base compensation. Employment Record dates must include month and year. Verification of employment history dates on resume should match online Employment Application. Statements such as "See Resume" will not be accepted and a resume alone will not be accepted in lieu of a complete online application.
- Skills Assessments: Skills assessment(s) may be required as part of the recruitment process.
- Virtual Interviews: PARD may conduct virtual interviews.
- Military/Veteran: An applicant claiming Military/Veteran status must provide a copy of his or her DD-214(s), or valid comparable document, at the time of interview.
- Physical Requirements: Tasks may involve bending, lifting, walking, carrying or using a force equal to lifting up to fifteen (15) pounds. Work environment includes, tolerating loud noise associated with enthusiasm and excitement and working outdoors in any and all types of weather and or inclement conditions; and in confined spaces at time. Must be physically and mentally able to communicate, respond and work with participant's needs and safety issues.
- Multiple Position Posting: This is a multi-position posting and multiple candidates may be hired from this recruitment. If you are not contacted 10 business days after the recruitment closes, you are not moving forward in the recruitment process and we encourage you to review our other City of Austin recruitment(s).
- Travel: If you are selected for this position, and meet the Driver Safety Standards in the City of Austin Driver Safety Program, you may drive when necessary to multiple locations as part of your regular job duties. Otherwise, you are responsible for getting to and from these locations.
- 90 Day Provision for Additional Vacancy: This posting may be used to fill other vacancies in other divisions/work locations within the City of Austin Parks and Recreation Department. Decisions on assigned selection will be made at the time of hire based on the business needs of the department.
- Tobacco and Vape-Free Workplace: All PARD work site locations are tobacco-free. Use of tobacco products and/or e-cigarettes is not permitted on any PARD work site - including construction sites, parking lots, garages or in any personal vehicles located on the premises.
$16.00 per hour. Hours Days and hours vary depending on seasonal needs but average between 20 - 30 hours per week.
Job Close Date
- Variable schedule, 20 to 30 hours per week.
- Saturday - Sunday 8 am - 9 pm; schedule will vary.
- Programming hours vary at each worksite.
- May be required to work during special events and programming needs.
07/07/2022 Type of Posting
Parks and Recreation Regular/Temporary
Temporary Grant Funded or Pooled Position
Not Applicable Category
Various Recreation Centers/Krieg Multi-Purpose Field Preferred Qualifications Preferred experience in the following:
- Experience officiating athletic events/activities.
- Experience officiating in the following athletic activities:
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Ability to travel to more than one work location.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Ensure safety and security of participants, spectators, officials, facility and equipment.
- Enforce all policies and procedures in a fair and professional manner.
- Display proper mechanics at all times.
- Inspect playing areas for safety hazards prior to games.
- Ensure safe and proper use of equipment.
- Provide excellent customer service.
- Provide assistance and resolve disputes and minor problems in a professional and courteous manner.
- Assist with evacuations if an emergency situation should arise.
- Complete required forms.
- Cancel games due to unsafe playing conditions.
Criminal Background Investigation
- Knowledge of athletic programs and activities.
- Knowledge of safety practices and procedures.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Skill in problem solving.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
- Ability to work with children and teens, including youth with special needs.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with the City and the public.
This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation. EEO/ADA
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445. Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within
the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* This position requires that you be at least 18 years of age with at least 3 months experience officiating athletic events/activities. Do you meet the minimum qualifications for this position?
* The position requires CPR/AED and First Aid certifications. Will you be able to obtain these certifications within 30 days of hire?
* Do you have the ability to travel to multiple sites as part of the regular job duties?
* If identified as a top candidate, do you agree to a Criminal Background Investigation (CBI)?
* Please select that answer that best describes your experience officiating athletic events/activities.
- I do not have any experience officiating athletic events/activities.
- I have 3 - 12 months experience officiating athletic events/activities.
- I have 1 - 2 years experience officiating athletic events/activities.
- I have 2 - 5 years experience officiating athletic events/activities.
- I have more than 5 years of experience officiating athletic events/activities.
* Please describe your officiating experiences and/or background?
(Open Ended Question)
* Which sports have you officiated?
- Flag Football
- Sand Volleyball
- Ultimate Frisbee
* This is a multi-position job posting and you will only be notified if you are selected to move forward in the process. Once the department is no longer hiring for this position, you will receive a notification informing you of such.
- I acknowledge this statement
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Optional Documents Resume