California State University, San Bernardino is a preeminent center of intellectual and cultural activity in Inland Southern California. Opened in 1965 and set at the foothills of the beautiful San Bernardino Mountains, the university serves more than 20,000 students each year and graduates about 4,000 students annually. CSUSB reflects the dynamic diversity of the region and has the most diverse student population of any university in the Inland Empire. Seventy percent of those who graduate are the first in their families to do so.
At CSUSB, you can:
- Build your future
- Work with the best
- Be your authentic self
- Focus on you
- Make a lasting impact
- Work for a purpose that is greater than your own
- Bring everything you are, become everything you want
Payroll Services is dedicated to processing accurate and timely pay warrants for our "State" faculty, staff, and student employees while adhering to university guidelines as well as federal and state regulations. We are a service-oriented department committed to assisting employees and administrative departments.
Payroll Services, under the authority of the Chancellor and under the direction of the Controller of the State of California, is responsible for the areas of payroll operations pertaining to establishing and monitoring leave accruals, maintaining the employment history database, and processing disability payments, levies, and garnishments. Job Summary
Under general supervision, apply a thorough knowledge of payroll and personnel transactions and perform the full range of moderately complex payroll and personnel transactions. These transactions include: pay (intermittent, regular full and part time, overtime, special consultant, shift differential, call back, individual lesson, annual year, 10-month, 10/12, quarterly, semester, summer session, extended vacation and MSAs); leave status and accruals (vacation, holiday, sick, jury duty, bereavement, LWOP, AWOL, military, NDIL, IDL and compensatory time); and, changes in pay status (appointments, end of probationary periods, promotions, demotions, reclassifications, retirements and separations).
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Performs diverse duties involving a wide range of procedures and applies various rules, regulations, and policies to determine pay and accruals.
- Prepare and review documents for accuracy; verify and audit data prior to release; determine appropriate codes; identify and calculate overpayments; coordinate collection activities; reconcile work schedules; provide guidance and assistance to campus payroll users; calculate, process and reconcile a diverse range of moderately complex payroll and personnel transactions for all categories or combinations of categories of CSU employees (staff, faculty, graduate assistants, student assistants, special consultants, individual lessons, and summer session instructors).
- In compliance with CSU policies and procedures and collective bargaining agreements regarding leave benefits and time and attendance, maintains leave benefit (vacation, sick leave, holidays, CTO, FML, military leave, bereavement, jury duty) and state service dates by auditing absence data, processes adjustments as necessary to include catastrophic leave donations, approve and enter absences and time on behalf of employees on an exception basis, and is a resource for department managers and timekeepers.
- Notifies departments when usage is inappropriate and corrections are necessary.
- Calculates plus and minus pay periods for employees who work irregular work schedules.
- Monitors hours worked by intermittent employees to determine membership into CalPERS.
- Provide customer service by responding to inquiries from employees, departments and other organizations that relate to the department's functions.
- Provide general explanations regarding various employee benefits which include, but is not limited to, CalPERS eligibility, vacation and sick leave accrual, social security and Medicare taxes, pay periods and holidays.
- Assist with unemployment benefit audits and data requests, employment verification and other inquiries related to pay and employment.
Full-time, Non-Exempt, Probationary with the possibility of converting to permanent. Multiple Vacancies:
This recruitment is to fill multiple vacancies. Application Review Deadline:
This position will remain open until filled. Applications will be reviewed beginning on June 1, 2022. Work Schedule
- Typically, Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. Some evenings and weekend hours may be required
- Summer Schedule: Monday through Thursday from 7:00 am to 5:30 pm.
Education and Experience
- The ability to accurately perform mathematical calculations, organize a high volume of work effectively and meet strict deadlines.
- Interpret, apply, and determine appropriate action utilizing policies, procedures, programs, guidelines, applicable state and federal laws, educational codes, and collective bargaining agreements.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Exercise tact, courtesy, and good judgment in responding to others.
- Thorough knowledge of general office practices and procedures.
- Ability to understand/interpret policies, procedures, guidelines, applicable state and federal laws, educational codes and collective bargaining agreements.
- Organize work and set priorities in order to meet critical deadlines.
- Use Microsoft Office and Outlook software.
- Select and apply a wide variety of moderately complex policies, procedures, programs, and applicable state and federal laws, educational codes, and collective bargaining agreements that are not clearly described in available guidelines.
- Organize work, set priorities, and meet critical deadlines.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Perform mathematical calculations.
- Work independently.
- Ability to pay attention to detail.
- Make sound decisions and recommendations regarding payroll activities.
- Use current computer word processing and spreadsheet software programs, web browsers, electronic calendaring programs, ERP/HRIS, and data management systems.
- Read and write at a level appropriate to the position.
- Education: Any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge and abilities.
- Experience: Equivalent to two years of payroll and personnel experience which provides the required knowledge and abilities.
- Previous experience in higher education.
- Knowledge and/or familiarity with: CSU Oracle/PeopleSoft Finance and HR systems; CSU Payroll and Collective Bargaining Units.
- High School diploma or General Education Degree (GED).
Anticipated Hiring Range: $3,600 - $4,000 per month
Classification Salary Range: $3,276 - $5,612 per month Statement of Commitment to Diversity
In our commitment to the furthering of knowledge and fulfilling our educational mission, California State University, San Bernardino seeks a campus climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the entire variety of human experience. In our commitment to diversity, we welcome people from all backgrounds, and we seek to include knowledge and values from many cultures in the curriculum and extra-curricular life of the campus community. Our commitment to work toward an environment that values diversity requires that we create, promote, and maintain activities and programs which further our understanding of individual and group diversity. We will also develop and communicate policies and promote values which discourage intolerance and discrimination.
The concept and dimensions of diversity are to be advanced and incorporated into every aspect of university activity, including student life, the curriculum, teaching, programs, staffing, personnel training practices, research, community services, events, and all other areas of university endeavor.
Dimensions of diversity shall include, but are not limited to, the following: race, ethnicity, religious belief, sexual orientation, sex, gender identity, gender expression, ability, socioeconomic status, cultural orientation, national origin, and age.
The implementation of the Commitment to Diversity will rest with the university as a whole. The president, in addition to a personal commitment and involvement, may use the University Diversity Committee, campus administrators, faculty, staff, and students as well as other members of the campus community to implement effectively the philosophy and intent of this statement. Supplemental Information
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
The person holding this position is considered a `mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
California State University, San Bernardino is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.
This position may be "Designated" under California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. This would require the filing of a Statement of Economic Interest on an annual basis and the completion of training within 6 months of assuming office and every 2 years thereafter. Visit the Human Resources Conflict of Interest webpage link for additional information: http://hrd.csusb.edu/conflictInterest.html
This position adheres to CSU policies against Sex Discrimination, Sexual Harassment, and Sexual Violence, including Domestic Violence, Dating Violence, and Stalking. This requires completion of Sexual Violence Prevention Training within 6 months of assuming employment and on a two-year basis thereafter. (Executive Order 1096)
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled