Description:Salary and Benefits
The starting salary placement depends on qualifications and experience and is anticipated to be in the range of $4,300.00/month to $5,000.00/month.
Cal State East Bay offers a broad range of benefits that includes medical, dental, vision, retirement (CalPERS), 401k, 457, 403(b), dependent and health care reimbursement accounts, life insurance, vacation and sick, 13 paid holidays, one personal holiday and tuition fee waiver.
For more information on the benefits program, please visit https://www.csueastbay.edu/hr/benefits/index.html About Cal State East Bay
Cal State East Bay's beautiful main campus is located in the Hayward hills with panoramic views of the San Francisco Bay shoreline. Situated above the city of Hayward, the campus offers an ideal setting for teaching and learning and yet easy access to the many cities along the bay. The University has a satellite campus in Concord, a professional development center in Oakland and a significant presence online. Founded in 1957, Cal State East Bay is one of 23 universities of the California State University system (CSU). With an enrollment over 15,800 students, Cal State East Bay is recognized as a regionally engaged and globally oriented university with a strong commitment to academic innovation, student success, engaged and service learning, diversity, and sustainability. About the Position
Under the general supervision of the Associate Vice President, University Communications & Marketing and frequent coordination with the Marketing Communications Lead, the Social Media Specialist (Public Affairs/Communications Specialist II) will identify and implement social media strategy, and support general communications and marketing efforts through research, writing, coordinating with overall strategic communications efforts, campaigns and materials that engage constituents in digital platforms.
The Social Media Specialist is involved directly in writing and editing a variety of electronically-based communication materials that support the university's reputation and priorities, as well as identifying and creating visual materials to accompany posts and stories. This position manages the university's primary social media channels, designs and implements social media operating plans to support university initiatives, and serves as a supportive point of contact for social media producers and managers throughout the university. Incumbents are responsible for developing and maintaining relationships with relevant internal and external constituents to ensure that the public receives relevant, timely, and positive information about the university and its programs. Responsibilities
Create consistent and engaging content on official social media accounts
- Develop, curate and optimize high-quality, effective content that engages a range of audiences and supports university communications and marketing goals.
- Develop strategies to promote the image of the university and/or programs by using market research data to determine the most effective techniques and approaches for reaching target audiences through owned and paid media.
- Identify the needs and interests of various constituent groups; translating the results of research into strategic communication efforts including selecting the best medium to achieve goals.
- Monitor activity of social and digital content, including reputation management, using analytics tools.
- Track and report metrics to continually improve strategies.
- Explore new online social media platforms and other online outlets to share stories and keep Cal State East Bay top of mind within the community.
- Coordinate with campus colleges, divisions, departments and teams to support cross-channel campaigns and Cal State East Bay initiatives and communications.
- Research and initiate innovative improvements to digital communications and work closely with editorial and creative teams to support consistent messaging and branding across all platforms.
- Write, edit and proofread content for social media.
- Help to protect and elevate the university's branding and brand strategy within social media and digital platforms.
- Produce digital media including casual/candid photography, simple videos, animated graphics, GIFS and other designed content.
- Create positive working relationships with campus social media users that reflect the mission and goals of the campus. Serve as liaison to campus departments and units regarding social media and digital communications.
Support University Communications & Marketing strategic content and placement strategies
- Participate in the development of communication themes, concepts and ideas for how to disseminate content on all available social media, web and other new media applications.
- Write feature and news stories that can be used to support social media content.
- Assist with updating website content and digital signage.
- Assist with email campaigns, updating content, sending, tracking and reporting.
- Support campus emergency and issues communications as assigned.
- Exercise discretion, judgment, and ingenuity to write and coordinate e-newsletters, event announcements and social media content as they relate to strategic marketing and communications campaigns for the university.
- Coordinate digital touchpoints among email marketing, social media and website updates.
Other duties as assigned to support University Advancement and University Communications & Marketing initiatives. Required Qualifications
- Thorough knowledge of social media platforms and web/digital communication techniques; ability to effectively use technology to achieve communication goals.
- Solid interpersonal skills, listening skills, and organizational skills with strong attention to detail.
Preferred Skills and Knowledge
- Bachelor's degree from a four-year college or university with a degree in art and technology, communications, marketing, or related fields, or similar certified coursework in applicable fields of study; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with a solid foundation in grammar, spelling, and the composition of various communication vehicles.
Condition(s) of Employment
- Two or more years of experience in the communications field with duties that include coordinating social media. Ideal candidates will be able to provide evidence of this experience through demonstration of a portfolio of past work.
- Experience working in a complex organization.
- Experience creating and maintaining original content within an established brand and style guide, including AP Style Guide.
- Experience creating web content for webpages and mobile applications, including copywriting, basic design and photography selection.
- Experience gathering and analyzing data and selecting pertinent facts and integrate them into communication.
- Knowledge of applicable copyright and other laws pertaining to digital content and media.
- Ability to demonstrate an awareness and appreciation of the cultural diversity of the university community; and establish and maintain cooperative and effective relations with university employees, students and the public.
- Ability to establish, set and meet multiple deadlines, coordinate, prioritize and complete varied tasks.
- Ability to solve a wide range of problems and develop solutions.
- Ability to work independently under general supervision and set priorities in an often-changing environment.
- Ability to develop logical solutions to problems, to demonstrate flexibility and compromise.
- Professional demeanor and team player who demonstrates a sense of urgency, initiative, and follow-through.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and security of all communications, as appropriate.
- Willingness to work as required some non-standard hours including evenings and weekends, and working during campus emergencies.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including LiveScan, as appropriate), that may include, but is not limited to: criminal records check, verification of academic credentials, licenses, certificates, credit history, professional references and/or verification of work history is required for employment. Cal State East Bay will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Unsatisfactory results may also affect the continued employment of current Cal State East Bay employees who were conditionally offered the position.
All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate. LiveScan is conducted through the University Police Department. EEO Statement
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Cal State East Bay does not discriminate on the basis of any protected categories: age, ancestry, citizenship, color, disability, gender, immigration status, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran's status. The University is committed to the principles of diversity in employment and to creating a stimulating learning environment for its diverse student body. Other Information
All California State University campuses, including Cal State East Bay, are smoke and tobacco-free. For more information, please visit our website at http://www.csueastbay.edu/smokeandtobaccofree/
In compliance with state and federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, the Cal State East Bay Annual Campus Security Report is available at: http://www.csueastbay.edu/upd/safety-and-security-reports.html Sponsorship
Cal State East Bay is not a sponsoring agency for Staff or Management positions and we are not an E-Verify employer. Mandated Reporter
The incumbent in this position may be considered a mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and will be required to comply with requirements set forth in the CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. CSU Vaccination Policy
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat. com/policy/9779821/latest/
and questions may be sent to email@example.com
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled