- Graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Business, Public Administration, Business or Aviation Management, Accounting/Finance, Engineering, or a related field, plus six (6) years of related experience, including two (2) years of which were in a supervisory or managerial capacity.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
- Graduation with a Master's degree from an accredited college or university may substitute for up to two (2) years of the required experience.
None.Notes to Applicants To view the detailed Recruitment Profile for this position, please click here.
To view the City of Austin recruitment video, please click here.
AUS is looking for a creative, strategic thinker who is passionate about public service, can positively impact a dynamic aviation environment, and create strong working relationships. The ideal candidate understands how to effectively engage strategic partners, employees, and stakeholders in inclusive processes that improve outcomes. The ideal candidate will possess:
When completing a City of Austin employment application:
- Exceptional Leadership - A cohesive leader with the ability to build quality interpersonal relationships with stakeholders, business partners and City departments.
- Thinks Analytically and Strategically - Enables others to better understand and implement the vision and strategy, while being the aligned forward thinker, has the ability to formulate and communicate sound business strategy, and implement in a clear and concise manner.
- Business Acumen - Has a firm understanding of how an airport system operates as a business to achieve goals and objectives.
- Agility - Ability to effectively manage changes and guide those changes through significant challenges while achieving organizational goals and objectives.
- Customer Focus - Ability to attend to the needs and expectations of airport stakeholders, business partners and customers.
- Design Mindset - Ability to represent and develop tasks and work processes for desired outcomes.
- Equity Lens - Ability to use an equity lens and framework to create inclusive, diverse, and safe workspaces and programs.
- Social Intelligence - Ability to connect to others in a deep and direct way; to sense reactions and stimulate desired interactions.
- Business Ethics - Demonstrated high level of successful and ethical performance in establishing and maintaining business portfolio.
- Boundary less Perspective - Demonstrated ability to see a broad view of an issue or challenge across typical organizational lines and beyond the present.
If you are selected as a top candidate:
- Please be sure to detail on the application all previous employment that you wish to be considered as part of your qualifications.
- A detailed, complete employment application is required. It helps us to better evaluate your qualifications and will be used to determine salary if you are selected for this position. Be sure to provide job titles and employment dates for all jobs you wish to be considered.
- A resume is required, but will not substitute for a complete employment application. Please include contact information from previous employers.
- A cover letter is also required. In the cover letter candidates should describe, in concise detail, their interest in this position and highlight any prior experience that is relevant to this position.
- To ensure consideration, candidates should apply by June 17, 2022. To apply, candidates must complete this online application. Interested candidates should apply early in the process for optimum consideration.
- Verification of your education (which may include high school graduation or GED , undergraduate, and/or graduate degrees) will be required. You must provide proof of education from an accredited organization/institution and proof of your professional licenses or certifications.
- This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation ( CBI ).
Working with the City of Austin provides a number of health and welfare benefits such as low-cost medical, dental, vision, paid leave time, a highly competitive retirement plan, training opportunities, and more. Please click HERE
for more information. Pay Range
$170,000 - $179,753 Hours
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM Monday - Friday
*Hours may vary depending upon business needs. Job Close Date Type of Posting
Regular Grant Funded or Pooled Position
Not Applicable Category
Austin - Bergstrom International Airport (AUS) Preferred Qualifications
- Leadership experience: managing staff, creating vision, setting direction, and interacting with community stakeholders, executive level leadership, and/or elected officials.
- Relationship Building - Having well-developed conflict resolution and facilitation skills, including working effectively with people at all levels of the organization and elected officials.
- Communication - Effective communication and interpersonal skills, team building, and consensus building.
- Experience at a Medium/Large airport
- Experience being responsible for managing large multi- shift, multi-site hourly workforce is desirable
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Experience in public safety, such as law enforcement or airport security.
Supports the Airport Chief Officer in leading and managing programs, functions, and initiatives to ensure effectiveness and efficiency. Develops and implements short- and long-range strategies, objectives, policies, and priorities. Ensures compliance with Federal, State, Local, and industry regulations. Assists in the preparation, presentation, and monitoring of the department budget and ensures divisions operate within appropriated budget. Develops, revises, and implements standard operating practices, policies, and procedures governing the programs and department activities. Acts as official departmental representative to boards and commissions, City departments, City Council, outside agencies, and the community. Coordinates departmental activities and programs with other City departments, agencies, and service providers. Responds to and resolves sensitive inquiries, complaints, and issues from both internal and external sources. Determines goals, objectives, and resource requirements for activities within the assigned divisions. Monitors industry trends and implements best practices. Assumes Airport Chief Officer duties and responsibilities in their absence. Responsibilities
- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
Responsible for the full range of supervisory activities including selection, training, evaluation, counseling, and recommendation for dismissal. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of Local, State, and Federal laws, regulations, and ordinances affecting the airport.
- Knowledge of strategic business planning, organizational change strategies, and performance measurement to achieve business excellence.
- Skill in fiscal planning and developing and preparing budgets.
- Skill in managing and allocating financial and human resources to execute operational and business plans.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with City employees, City Council, media, and the public.
- Skill in leading and managing a diverse workforce including department employees and contractors in an airport environment.
- Ability to design short- and long-term strategies/programs that are scalable and efficient in a large and complex organization.
- Ability to work with and coordinate between multiple City departments and internal business units to meet goals and objectives.
Criminal Background Investigation
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing, develop and deliver public presentations, and act as the corporate spokesperson when incidents involving operations occur.
This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation. EEO/ADA
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.
The City of Austin will not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, religion, veteran status, disability, or sexual orientation. In addition, the City will not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of an individual's AIDS , AIDS Related Complex, or HIV status; nor will the City discriminate against individuals who are perceived to be at risk of HIV infection, or who associate with individuals who are believed to be at risk. Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within
the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* The minimum qualifications for the Airport Deputy Chief Officer are: Graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Business, Public Administration, Business or Aviation Management, Accounting/Finance, Engineering, or a related field, plus six (6) years of related experience, including two (2) years of which were in a supervisory or managerial capacity. Graduation with a Master's degree from an accredited college or university may substitute for up to two (2) years of the required experience. Do you meet these minimum qualifications?
* The Transportation Security Administration (TSA-division of the USA Dept. of Homeland Security) requires all employees of the Austin-Bergstrom International Airport to pass a minimum 10-year criminal background investigation and security threat assessment. Do you agree to a minimum 10-year criminal background investigation and security threat assessment?
* Please briefly describe your experience ensuring compliance with Federal, State and local laws, rules, and regulations pertaining to aviation, coordinating with TSA and Public Safety agencies for an airport (or similar) 24/7 operation.
(Open Ended Question)
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Cover Letter Resume Optional Documents