Description: About CSUSB
California State University, San Bernardino is a preeminent center of intellectual and cultural activity in Inland Southern California. Opened in 1965 and set at the foothills of the beautiful San Bernardino Mountains, the university serves more than 20,000 students each year and graduates about 4,000 students annually. CSUSB reflects the dynamic diversity of the region and has the most diverse student population of any university in the Inland Empire. Seventy percent of those who graduate are the first in their families to do so.
At CSUSB, you can:
- Build your future
- Work with the best
- Be your authentic self
- Focus on you
- Make a lasting impact
- Work for a purpose that is greater than your own
- Bring everything you are, become everything you want
The Department of Geology provides a solid grounding on the core principles of the geology. A BA or BS graduate in geology could be employed as one of the following professions: hydrologist, geophysicist, geochemist, environmental scientist, oceanographer, geological surveyor, paleontologist, energy and resource explorer, or city planner. Job Summary
The Administrative Support Coordinator II will coordinate the daily operations of the Department of Geology.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to: Office Support & Coordination/Administrative Support
- Coordinate the daily operation of the Department of Geology.
- Maintain a smooth-running office with minimal supervision in order to meet University, College, and Department deadlines and demands.
- Provide excellent customer service to students, faculty, and other departments and colleges on campus, drawing on broad knowledge and interpretation of departmental and university policies, procedures and practices.
- Answer phone calls and walk-in inquiries from faculty, staff and students with professionalism and mutual respect.
- Provide information to students about procedures on various matters, such as change of grade forms, overload, class drop and add forms, etc.
- Schedule and arrange detailed and complex meetings and events for the Department Chair; prepare routine correspondence; attend meetings and record meeting minutes.
- Maintain office inventory and purchase supplies (educational materials, office supplies, and equipment) using either a requisition or procurement card; complete disbursement paperwork for business activities and events; Submit department duplication or printing requests.
- Act as a liaison between suppliers, vendors, and campus departments to fulfill purchases.
- Initiate work orders and requests for departmental or building areas in need of repair such as change of locks and heating and air conditioning in order to maintain a proper work environment.
- Maintain the vehicles used for geological field trips and on-site excursions.
- Oversee the implementation of the department's field trip guidelines, including the distribution and collection of any required documentation such as waivers, defensive driving certifications, and field trip participant lists.
- Lead student and faculty access to spaces including submitting and renewing key requests to the Dean's Office.
- maintain and update the department's webpage.
- Lead the maintenance and supplies for the department's copying and printing equipment, including trouble shooting equipment and coordinating repair calls.
- Prepare and keep accurate records of faculty offices, office hours, and class schedules.
- Assist the Department Chair in preparing course schedules and input of courses into PeopleSoft; update scheduled course offering with current information, instructors, times, and rooms in CLSS and other systems; monitor and process lecturer teaching appointments, generate contracts, arrange for office space, keys, etc.
- Monitor workload and enter faculty additional assignments into PeopleSoft to accurately report workload for internal campus use and reporting to the Chancellor's Office.
- Assist and coordinate faculty recruitments both tenure-track and lecturers; collect, review and file all hiring paperwork, student and peer evaluations of faculty teaching, etc., and ensure that documentation is properly assigned to department employee files.
- Prepare faculty appointment letters and enter information into PeopleSoft.
- Assist faculty with questions regarding submissions of travel requests and expense reports through Concur, including individual and group travels.
- Enter faculty time attendance and report the information into Absence Management.
- Maintain departmental records such as meeting minutes, assessment data, and course syllabi.
- Assist faculty with purchases related to their teaching, research and service with funding from various sources.
- issue and receive lab equipment checked out by students, such as compasses and GPS; coordinate any needed maintenance and repair.
- Oversee faculty textbook orders.
College Administrative Support
- Monitor and analyze all department budgets and accounts, which includes general fund, trust funds, auxiliary funds and philanthropic funds.
- Submit transfer of expense and budget adjustments.
- Reconcile procurement card purchased monthly.
- Create reports and make recommendations to the Department Chair regarding budget allocations based on historical data and analysis.
- Accurately monitor faculty professional development funds and expenses.
- Provide support to chair with student scholarships.
- Provide administrative support to departments within the College of Natural Sciences as needed.
- Assist with faculty appointment letters and enter information into Peoplesoft.
- Assist with purchasing supplies, equipment and course materials by submitting purchase requisitions or procurement card.
- Assist with updating schedule course offerings with current information, instructors, times and rooms.
- Provide front office support to departments as needed, which includes answering phones calls and walk-in inquiries from students, faculty and staff.
- Submit purchase orders, facilitate hiring, and oversee budgets related to grants and foundation accounts.
: Full-time, Probationary, "Non-Exempt" position (with the possibility of converting to permanent). Application Review Deadline
: This position will remain open until filled. Applications will be reviewed beginning May 27, 2022. Work Schedule
- Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, weekends and evenings may be required.
Education and Experience
- Experience to be fully functional in all technical aspects of work assignments.
- Thorough, detailed knowledge of applicable university infrastructure, policies, and procedures.
- Thorough knowledge of office systems and ability to use a broader range of technology, systems, and packages.
- Thorough mastery of English grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
- Expertise in using office software packages, technology, and systems.
- Ability to interpret and apply policies and procedures independently, and use judgment and discretion to act when precedents do not exist.
- Ability to troubleshoot most office administration problems and respond to all inquiries and requests related to work area.
- Ability to understand problems from a broader perspective and anticipate the impact of office administration problems and solutions on other areas.
- Ability to analyze operational and procedural problems and develop, recommend, and evaluate proposed solutions.
- Ability to perform business math, analyze budgetary data, and make accurate projections requiring some inference.
- Ability to effectively write and present own reports.
- Ability to effectively handle interpersonal interactions at all levels and handle highly sensitive interpersonal situations.
- Ability to use negotiation and persuasion skills to achieve results and expedite projects.
- Ability to independently handle multiple work unit priorities and projects.
- Ability to apply independently a wide variety of policies and procedures where specific guidelines may not exist.
- Working knowledge of budget policies and procedures.
- Ability to perform standard business math, such as calculate ratios and percentages, track financial data, and make simple projections.
- Ability to draft and compose correspondence and standard reports.
- Ability to handle effectively a broader range of interpersonal contacts, including those at a higher level and those sensitive in nature.
- High School diploma or its equivalent AND five years of progressively responsible experience in general office clerical or secretarial work or the equivalent.
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft or similar enterprise-wide application is desirable.
- Experience in higher education and administrative support preferred.
Anticipated Hiring Range: $ 3,440 - $4,320 per month
Classification Salary Range: $3,440 - $5,639 per month Statement of Commitment to Diversity
In our commitment to the furthering of knowledge and fulfilling our educational mission, California State University, San Bernardino seeks a campus climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the entire variety of human experience. In our commitment to diversity, we welcome people from all backgrounds, and we seek to include knowledge and values from many cultures in the curriculum and extra-curricular life of the campus community. Our commitment to work toward an environment that values diversity requires that we create, promote, and maintain activities and programs which further our understanding of individual and group diversity. We will also develop and communicate policies and promote values which discourage intolerance and discrimination.
The concept and dimensions of diversity are to be advanced and incorporated into every aspect of university activity, including student life, the curriculum, teaching, programs, staffing, personnel training practices, research, community services, events, and all other areas of university endeavor.
Dimensions of diversity shall include, but are not limited to, the following: race, ethnicity, religious belief, sexual orientation, sex, gender identity, gender expression, ability, socioeconomic status, cultural orientation, national origin, and age.
The implementation of the Commitment to Diversity will rest with the university as a whole. The president, in addition to a personal commitment and involvement, may use the University Diversity Committee, campus administrators, faculty, staff, and students as well as other members of the campus community to implement effectively the philosophy and intent of this statement.Supplemental Information
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
The person holding this position is considered a `mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
California State University, San Bernardino is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.
This position may be "Designated" under California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. This would require the filing of a Statement of Economic Interest on an annual basis and the completion of training within 6 months of assuming office and every 2 years thereafter. Visit the Human Resources Conflict of Interest webpage link for additional information: http://hrd.csusb.edu/conflictInterest.html
This position adheres to CSU policies against Sex Discrimination, Sexual Harassment, and Sexual Violence, including Domestic Violence, Dating Violence, and Stalking. This requires completion of Sexual Violence Prevention Training within 6 months of assuming employment and on a two-year basis thereafter. (Executive Order 1096)
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled