About Our Job
This is a part-time position which will work no more than 39 hours per week and is not eligible for benefits. Part-time positions may have routine or variable work schedules.
Denver's Outdoor Recreation Department (ODR) has seen significant growth over the last three years. Outdoor Recreation Instructors support the continued growth of water sport instruction for upright paddle boarding and kayaking/canoeing, mountain biking, the Westwood Summer Outdoor Camp Program, the winter Ruby Hill Rail Yard, ski programming for youth in Denver Public Schools and MY Denver, Carla Madison’s climbing wall, Genesee Challenge Course and the Genesee Rock Climbing site, as well as hiking for youth, adults, and active older adults in the Denver Mountain Parks system. Our Recreation Instructors provide outdoor program experiences that help connect the community with the outdoors through educational curricula and experiential learning.
General Outdoor Instructor Responsibilities:
- Deliver high level customer service to all Outdoor Recreation participants
- Display a high degree of competency in all instructor level duties as outlined on the instructor job description
- Monitor weather and make alternative plans in the event of severe or inclement weather
- Support all facets of open enrollment and group programming
- Maintain a positive group atmosphere in which all participants are welcomed, included, and supported
- Identify and minimize environmental risks; follow policies and procedures as set forth by ODR
- Respond to emergencies and provide patient care; be prepared to summon help/initiate rescue in backcountry environments with no cellphone reception
- Maintain proper documentation such as end-of-day trip reports, incident/accident reports, and rope/equipment logs
- Drive department vehicles including trucks with trailer in tow and 15-passenger mini-buses with participants
Challenge Course Responsibilities:
- Facilitate for groups coming to the Genesee Challenge Course, including low- and high-elements and team-building activities
- Support guided rock-climbing programs in the Denver Mountain Parks system
- Exhibit relevant knowledge of belaying, climbing, rope handling, knot tying, safety systems, rescues, and risk management practices
Our department provides intensive training for staff to prepare them for areas of outdoor recreation in which they do not have professional experience directly.
Our staffing needs vary season to season, with spring-fall being the busiest time of the year. We are only able to keep a few staff on through the winter season and are unable to guarantee winter work to all staff.
Our ideal candidate will be a well-rounded outdoor enthusiast with extensive personal and/or professional outdoor recreation experience in areas such as challenge course instruction, backpacking/camping, various water sports, rock climbing and belaying, and more. Our ideal candidate will have reliable transportation to lead activities throughout our extensive program service area and will be able to participate in our activity-specific in-house trainings provided throughout the season.
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Open availability during our peak spring-fall season
- Experience leading outdoor programming
- Experience in rock climb guiding, Challenge Course facilitation, or another outdoor recreation discipline
- Experience working with youth and adults in a recreation setting
- Ability to attend Defensive Driving and Coaching the Van Driver training
Any of the following certifications are preferred but not required:
- Wilderness First Aid Certification and/or CPR Certification
- AMGA Single-Pitch Instructor
- ACA SUP Instructor
- PSIA XC Ski Instructor
- ACCT Level 2 Facilitator
We realize that your time is valuable, so please do not apply unless you meet the following minimum qualifications:
- Education: Graduation from high school or the possession of a GED, HiSET or TASC Certificate
- Experience: One (1) year of experience in assisting in the operation and instruction of organized recreation activities
- Licensures/Certification(s): Requires certification in CPR/First Aid within 6 months of hire. Licenses and certifications must be kept current as a condition of employment
- Equivalency: Additional appropriate education may be substituted for the minimum experience requirements
About Everything Else
CA2583 Recreation Instructor
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here .
Position Salary Range
$15.87 - $23.81
Parks and Recreation
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
For information about right to work, click here for English or here for Spanish.