About Our Job
The Denver Sheriff Department is the largest Sheriff Department agency in the state ofColoradoand is comprised of many divisions and diverse operations withover 1000 uniformed and non-uniformed staff members.These operationsinclude two separate jails, security for the District and County court systems, state inmate transportation, extradition duties, fugitive and K-9 units and security atDenverHealthMedicalCenter.
Are you searching for a job in the “Trades” that offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision and a retirement plan?
Look no further! We are now accepting applications for a Building Engineer II to join its Maintenance Division. This position will have a stable schedule of working 4 consecutive 10 hour shifts. This position will work at various locations including the Denver County Jail and the new Van Cise Simonet detention facilities. Because this position does work in the detention facilities, the selected individual will be working around detainees/inmates. Our facilities operate 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, so applicants must be flexible and willing to work various shifts.
This position will primarily reside at the County Jail located on 10500 Smith Road Denver, CO or the Downtown Detention Center located on 490 W Colfax Ave Denver, CO 80204, which only has pay to park options, but regular employees are eligible for a $10 a month ECO Pass.
Successful candidates must complete and pass a background investigation that encompasses the applicant's employment and criminal history.
Job duties include but are not limited to:
- Maintains and operates specialized, complex, or unusual automated and mechanical environmental control systems, which includes monitoring and programming master controls, calibrating and coordinating sequencing of controls, overseeing and monitoring power supply systems, troubleshooting and diagnosing systems errors, and making corrections in order to maintain building and facility temperatures and environmental conditions.
- Maintains, operates, and repairs building and facility equipment related to environmental control systems, which includes electrical and mechanical components, plumbing and sewage systems, heating and air conditioning systems, ventilation and air handling systems, cold and hot water systems, electrical and fuel operated generators, which includes fire protection and detection systems.
- Performs routine and non-routine preventative maintenance based on operating procedures and regularly scheduled maintenance activities of equipment, and regularly inspects facilities, buildings, and grounds for unsafe or malfunctioning systems and conditions.
- Assist other trades personnel in the maintenance and repair of building and facility infrastructure and equipment, which includes the installation and modification of equipment.
- Plans and leads the maintenance and installation of major building and facility equipment repairs and related activities within a variety of specific trades areas, which includes the evaluation and recommendation of service upgrades.
- Responds to building and facility tenant complaints regarding safety issues and environmental control conditions, which includes following up on work orders, and prioritizing service calls.
- Assists in coordinating maintenance efforts with outside contractors and technicians regarding contracted service agreements.
- Provides input to supervisors and managers responsible for planning and controlling annual budgets.
- Orders parts and supplies as required and maintains stock and inventory control. Operates and maintains tools and equipment common to various skilled trades.
- Maintains records and prepares reports, which includes estimating materials, labor, and equipment costs. Adheres to and observes all common safety practices and operating procedures
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Commercial service experience
- Comfortable with working in a jail setting
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to work in a team
- Ability/desire to learn other skills
We realize your time is valuable so please do not apply if you donot have at least the following required minimum qualifications:
- Education requirement: Graduation from high school or the possession of a GED, HiSET or TASC Certificate.
- Experience Requirement: Four (4) years of experience in building operations, engineering and equipment and systems maintenance.
- Education/Experience Equivalency: A combination of appropriate education and experience may be substituted for the minimum education and experience requirements.
- License/Certifications: This job requires driving. Requires a valid Driver's License at the time of application.
- By position, requires a valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL ""B"") with appropriate endorsements by the end of probation.
- By position, requires either a valid journey certificate of qualification or equivalency as required in trades specialty issued by the City and County of Denver or a valid journey license issued by the State of Colorado by the end of probationary period. Licenses and certifications must be kept current as a condition of employment.
About Everything Else
CJ3309 Building Engineer II
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here .
Position Salary Range
$30.18 - $46.78
Based on Experience and Education
Denver Sheriff Department
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
For information about right to work, click here for English or here for Spanish.