Under the supervision and direction of the Aquatics Supervisor, Lifeguards will be responsible for ensuring adherence to safety rules, preventing accidents, and the safety and rescue of patrons in and around the aquatics area. They will also be responsible for organizing and setting up for various aquatics programs.
HOW TO APPLY: Interested parties should submit the Cal Maritime Employment Application, a cover letter and resume. Apply on-line at http://www.csum.edu/web/hr/careers.
ABOUT THE CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY MARITIME ACADEMY:
Established in 1929, California State University Maritime Academy, a campus of the California State University, is the only degree-granting maritime academy on the West Coast. Located on the scenic Vallejo waterfront, the campus serves a student population of approximately 1000 undergraduates and 50 graduate students.
Cal Maritime offers seven baccalaureate degrees in Business Administration, Global Studies and Maritime Affairs, Facilities Engineering Technology, Marine Engineering Technology, Mechanical Engineering, Marine Transportation and Oceanography. The undergraduate curriculum includes licensing programs for future merchant marine, coast guard and naval reserve officers. Cal Maritime also offers a Master of Science in Transportation and Engineering Management degree, as well as a number of extended learning programs and courses.
• Ensure safety of guests, respond to emergencies, and provide First-Aid when necessary.
• Maintain a professional and positive attitude.
• Provide concise and accurate information to guests and co-workers.
• Develop the skills to become an effective team member who can reliably performs required tasks.
• Maintain and organize facility.
• Set-up facility prior to use, identify and document safety and maintenance issues.
• Lifeguard/CPR/AED/First-Aid, Title 22 (FASAP), Bloodborne Pathogens, and Administering Emergency Oxygen Certifications
• Knowledge of pool requirements for operation
• Works well with others
• Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite
• Quick to learn and adapt
• One season experience working as a Lifeguard
PHYSICAL, MENTAL and ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS:
• Up to 40% of the activities involve sitting, standing, squatting, kneeling or walking; involves lifting heavy weight objects limited to 50 pounds; may involve pushing and pulling objects within the weight limits.
• Is exposed to marked changes in temperature and/or humidity
• Employee regularly works outdoors and is routinely exposed to sun, may be exposed to extreme heat, cold, and/or rain.
• Employee regularly works on uneven, slippery surfaces.
HOURS of WORK/TRAVEL: Must be available to work a combination of weekdays, weekends and holidays, based on
BACKGROUND CHECK: Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check and fingerprinting) is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
MANDATED REPORTER: The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
ELIGIBILITY TO WORK: Applicants must provide proof of U.S. citizenship or authorization to work in the United States within three days of the date of hire.
TITLE IX: Please view the Notice of Non-Discrimination on the Basis of Gender or Sex and Contact Information for Title IX Coordinator at: https://www2.calstate.edu/titleix
EEO STATEMENT: Cal Maritime is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. The university subscribes to all state and federal regulations and prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity/gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, age, disability, genetic information, medical condition, covered veteran status, or any other protected status. Reasonable Accommodations will be provided to applicants with qualifying disabilities who self-disclose by contacting the Benefits Coordinator at
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled