Department of Art (Visual Communication Design)
College of Environmental Design
Salary Range: $78,156-$80,304 Annual California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
invites applications for a tenure track faculty ASSISTANT PROFESSOR position in the Art Department in an area related to the study and/or promotion of Art (Visual Communication Design).
Cal Poly Pomona is one of three polytechnic universities in the 23-campus California State University system and among 12 such institutions nationwide. Since its founding in 1938, Cal Poly Pomona students have participated in an integrative experiential learning education that is inclusive, relevant, and values diverse perspectives and experiences. With a variety of degree programs in the arts, humanities, sciences, engineering, and professional disciplines, the university is well known for its learn-by-doing approach and Teacher Scholar Model .
The university is noted for its scenic and historic 1,400-acre campus, which was once the winter ranch of cereal magnate W.K. Kellogg. We acknowledge that Cal Poly Pomona resides on the territorial and homelands of the Tongva and Tataavium people who are the traditional land caretakers of Tovaangar. The university’s nearly 30,000 students are taught and mentored by the campus’s more than 1,400 faculty as part of 54 Baccalaureate and 29 Master’s degree programs, 11 credential and certificate programs, and a doctorate in educational leadership.
Highly regarded among its peer institutions, Cal Poly Pomona is No. 3 in the U.S. News and World Report rankings of top public regional universities in the west and was named the No. 28 best value college in the nation by Money Magazine. Cal Poly Pomona, a Hispanic-Serving Institution and an Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander-Serving Institution, stands as a national leader in promoting social mobility , and was placed among the 25 top institutions in the country in awarding bachelor’s degrees to minoritized students by Diverse Issues in Higher Education .
The Cal Poly Pomona campus is located less than 30 miles east of downtown Los Angeles at the intersection of Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside and San Bernardino counties. It is within an hour’s drive of beaches, mountains and deserts. For additional information about the university, please visit www.cpp.edu , and for more about faculty life, please see YourLife@CPP . Student Population.
California residents comprise the majority (96%) of applicants to undergraduate programs at Cal Poly Pomona - nearly half (49%) of new students were transfers in Fall 2020. 58% of Cal Poly Pomona students are first generation, 70% receive financial aid, and 44% qualify as Pell-eligible. The university enrolls a diverse student body that identifies as 49% Latinx, 21% Asian, 15% White, 3% Black, 5% International, 3% two or more races, 3% unknown, and less than 1% Native Hawaiian or Native Pacific Islander and less than 1% Native American Indigenous. 39% of the student body were STEM majors with the top enrolled programs including psychology, mechanical engineering, civil engineering, biology and computer science. Inclusive Excellence Criteria.
We aspire to be the model inclusive polytechnic university in the nation. We have a strong commitment to inclusive excellence and to educational experiences that leverage the diverse perspectives and experiences needed to succeed and thrive in a diverse society.
Tenure track faculty hires will demonstrate a commitment and record of contributions
through their teaching, scholarship, or service to these inclusive excellence criteria (a minimum of two must be addressed in the Student Success Statement):
1. Integrates the values of equity and inclusivity into their teaching, scholarship and/or service contributions with diverse student populations;
2. Incorporates the contributions and struggles of historic ethnic minority groups and communities into their teaching, scholarly work, and/or service contributions;
3. Adopts teaching strategies that support the learning and success of students from diverse student populations;
4. Mentors and engages diverse student populations in discovery, scholarship, and creative activities;
5. Engages students in problem-based projects and learning that address the needs of diverse communities;
6. Possesses knowledge of challenges and barriers for underrepresented students and faculty within the discipline;
7. Mentors and assists diverse student populations interested in pursuing graduate education;
8. Engages in community-responsive action research or service with diverse student populations and communities;
9. Has experience in or demonstrates a commitment to adopting experiential learning activities and pedagogy with diverse student populations and communities; and
10. Has expertise in or demonstrated commitment to teaching, scholarship and/or service that contributes to access, diversity, and equal opportunity in higher education. College
The mission of the College of Environmental Design is to provide an outstanding academic and professional learning experience within a multidisciplinary structure. The College philosophy embodies a passion for creative excellence, environmental sustainability, and social responsibility in each of the College's departments. The College of Environmental Design is one of eight colleges at California State Polytechnic University, Pomona (Cal Poly Pomona) and was established in 1970. The College offers professional degree programs at the graduate level in Regenerative Studies, undergraduate and graduate levels in Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Urban and Regional Planning, and at the undergraduate level in Art. Department
The Department of Art, fully accredited by NASAD, offers a B.F.A. in Visual Communication Design and B.A. in Art History. The Department has 12 full-time faculty members; departmental majors’ number is approximately 600. Echoing the university philosophy of cultivating success through a diverse culture of experiential learning, discovery, and innovation, students have access to a wide variety of discipline-specific experiences. Through faculty-led efforts, our students have had opportunities for collaborations with other local and international universities, special projects and internships with our community partners, and prior study abroad programs. Position description
This tenure-track position includes, but is not limited to, instruction in Visual Communication Design and related fields-with a range of topics such as motion graphics, animation, concept design, storyboarding, and title design-for undergraduate courses within the Department of Art. This position requires teaching, advising, as well as professional and creative activities in Visual Communication Design or animation or related area. Applicants who demonstrate a commitment to inclusive excellence and diversity in higher education are especially encouraged to apply. The candidate must be a dynamic educator who is forward thinking and adaptable to a changing marketplace. The candidate should demonstrate strong technical skills, hand skills, and craft. A full-time faculty member should be fully invested in all aspects of program development and assessment and will fulfill academic advisor duties as well as participate in department, college, and university-level services, and provide academic and professional advice to students. The candidate should be committed to maintaining an inclusive campus community that values the diversity of the student body. Minimum requirements include
- M.F.A. in Visual Communication Design, Graphic Design, or a related field. Terminal degree must be earned by the start of the appointment.
- A commitment and record of contributions to student success and diversity through applicant’s teaching, scholarship, or service, demonstrated by a Student Success Statement addressing at least two of the inclusive excellence criteria listed above. (Limit to 2 pages)
- A minimum of two (2) years of professional work experience in Graphic Design or Visual Communication Design or related field.
- Teaching experience in Graphic Design or Visual Communication Design or related field at the university level.
Conditions of Employment:
- Ability to teach in a variety of foundation level courses as well as a specialization in a sub-discipline within Visual Communication Design.
- A strong desire to learn new technology and methods within the fast-changing field of Visual Communication Design.
- A broad understanding of all industry-standard software including but not limited to the Adobe Creative Suite.
- Experience in motion graphics, animation, concept design, storyboarding, and title design.
- Versatile with analog and digital modes of production.
The person offered this position is required to pass a background check.
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ . Questions regarding the policy may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Application Process:
A completed application will consist of:
- A cover letter that includes the candidate’s teaching and research experience. The letter should also address an ability to meet the qualifications articulated in the position description, including a portfolio website link providing 20 samples of the candidate’s own professional work, and a portfolio website link providing 20 samples of work by the candidate’s student work;
- A curriculum vitae including the names, titles, addresses, email addresses, and telephone numbers of at least five individuals who can speak to the candidate’s potential for success in this position;
- An unofficial transcript showing the highest degree earned;
- A Student Success Statement about your teaching, or other experiences, successes, and challenges in working or engaging with a diverse student population (maximum two pages). The statement must address at least two of the inclusive excellence criteria above.
Finalists for the position will:
- be required to provide an official transcript;
- be required to provide three letters of reference dated within the last two years;
- Final candidates being interviewed are expected to make a presentation of creative work and a teaching demonstration to faculty and interact with students.
The position is open until filled. First consideration will be given to completed applications received no later than Dec 5 th 2022
. Early response is encouraged. Please direct inquiries to
Applications accepted only via PageUp - online application portal - for University hires. Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. The university seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the people of California, to maintain the excellence of the university, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives, and ways of knowing. Cal Poly Pomona subscribes to all state and federal regulations and prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity/gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, age, disability, genetic information, medical condition, and covered veteran status. The university hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States. As required by the Clery Disclosure Act, the university prepares a public annual security report.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled