Senior Civil Engineer San Rafael Sanitation District $10,639 - $12,932 per month Plus excellent benefits
THE CITY is focused on enhancing our community members' quality of life through well-designed services and a positive workplace culture. San Rafael is the economic and cultural heart of Marin County, and its high quality of life is centered on its commercial districts, engaged neighborhoods, active lifestyle, and natural environment. San Rafael (population 59,000) is a full-service city with a city council/city manager form of government with 12 departments, more than 400 employees, and an annual budget of $100 million. The City's vision is to be a vibrant economic and cultural center reflective of its diversity. The City Council is engaged and seeks to strengthen the urban and commercial areas as well as sustain the beautiful natural environment.
San Rafael's Organizational culture framework is an initiative called "Together San Rafael."
City employees are our greatest asset, and we seek talented individuals with diverse backgrounds who are creative, curious, and excited about a challenge. We are a results-driven team focused on the needs of community members. The Together San Rafael initiative is focused
on modernizing City services and increasing the engagement of employees. This initiative recognizes the interconnectedness of the customer and employee experience.
The City of San Rafael Sanitation Department is recruiting for a Senior Civil Engineer. This position will plan, organize, direct and oversee the Engineering services of the San Rafael Sanitation District and will provide administrative, professional and technical assistance to the District Administrator. This position acts on behalf of the District Administrator as assigned.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following but not limited to and would include San Rafael Sanitation District CIP projects:
- Plans, supervises and performs professional engineering work in the design and construction of public capital projects, specializing in sanitary sewers, force mains, pump stations and related facilities.
- Supervises the preparation of plans, project specifications inspections, legal descriptions, surveys and other engineering work performed by staff members and consultants.
- Supervises and participates in the review of plans and the inspection of construction in progress for adherence to codes, acceptable engineering standards and related Sanitation District standards and policies.
- Supervises, trains and evaluates assigned staff.
- Meets with public and private engineers, architects, contractors and owners to explain and discuss projects.
- Responds to inquiries or complaints from the public and provides technical information to outside Agency staff, Board of Directors, and the public.
- Prepares comprehensive technical and staff reports in verbal and written form to the District Administrator and Sanitation District Board of Directors.
- Coordinates engineering activities and capital projects with other agencies.
- Reviews, approves and signs engineering drawings, plans and specifications and other legal documents as the responsible Professional Engineer.
- Ensures compliance with Public Contracts Code, Federal and State laws, local ordinances and regulations.
- Manages and develops the District's mapping and Geographic Information System.
- Manages and develops the District's Sanitary Sewer Management Plan.
- Coordinates programs and strategies with Central Marin Sanitation Agency and other agencies.
- Supervises and manages the application of grants for District projects from Federal, State and local funding sources.
- Prepares the bi-annual District Budget for review by the District Administrator.
- Reviews and approves all District payments to consultants, contractors and vendors.
- Calculates sewer connection fees.
- Provides administrative support to the District Administrator.
- Administers District programs such as annexations, sewer main extensions and "buy back agreements".
- Perform related duties as required.
- Knowledge of practices of civil engineering, sanitary engineering and administration.
- Knowledge of design, construction and operation of sanitary and public works facilities.
- Knowledge of methods of preparing designs, plans, specifications, estimates, reports and recommendations.
- Knowledge of sewer, pump stations, streets, storm drains, buildings, parks and other public works projects.
- Knowledge of laws and codes related to civil engineering, environmental health and sanitary engineering.
- Knowledge of principles of organization, administration, budget and supervision.
- Knowledge of personal computers and related engineering software.
- Ability to supervise engineering professionals and paraprofessionals.
- Ability to perform design engineering.
- Ability to prepare plans, drawings, specifications, diagrams and make sketches.
- Ability to deal with contractors, engineers and their representatives.
- Ability to use a PC and related engineering software.
- Ability to make complex engineering calculations and prepare plans and specifications.
- Ability to supervise the preparation of engineering records and prepare technical reports.
- Ability to evaluate and resolve engineering problems.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships; and communicate effectively, verbally and in writing.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
Any combination of education and experience that demonstrates possession of the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities. A typical way to obtain these would be:
- Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering.
- Six (6) years of increasingly responsible public work construction and maintenance experience.
- Registration as a Civil Engineer in the State of California.
- Valid driver's license.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential function of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with ands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in evenings or on weekends and indoor conditions and regularly works near video display. The employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions and uses personal vehicle. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS:
City of San Rafael application is required. Resumes do not substitute for the City application. Candidates should detail related education and experience on the application. The examination process may include the following: application appraisal and oral board interview examination. The passing point for the oral board examination final score will be 70%. To file an application follow this link:https://www.calopps.org/san-rafael/job-20224580
Reasonable Accommodation : The City of San Rafael will make reasonable accommodations in the exam process to accommodate disabled applicants. If you have a disability for which you require an accommodation, please contact us at (415) 485-3474 before the test date. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position. Such accommodations must be requested by the applicant.
Job PDF: Senior Civil Engineer - Job Announcement.pdf
The City of San Rafael offers an attractive compensation and benefits program. The salary range for this position is $10,639 - $12,932 per month, DOQ/DOE and a competitive benefits program including:
- Retirement:The City is a part of the Marin County Employee Retirement Association (MCERA) plan, which offers reciprocity between agencies in CalPERS (this is part of the 37 Act County System);
- Classic Employees - 2% @ at 55 formula, single highest year of compensation;
- PEPRA employees - hired after 1/1/13 or with 6-month break in service are eligible for a 2% at 62 formula, highest 3 year average compensation.
- Health Insurance:Full flex cafeteria plan which can be applied to a health plan or converted to cash (Employee Only - $693.62 Employee+1 - $1,387.23 Employee+Family - $1,803.41; Waive Coverage $693.62)
- Life and Long Term Disability Insurance:$150,000 basic and long-term disability is two-thirds of the salary up to $7,500 per month
- Dental Insurance:Fully paid for employee plus dependents
- Vision Insurance:Fully paid for employee plus dependents
- Deferred Comp: Employee option
- Annual Leave:Vacation ranges from 15 to 25 days (depending on years of service), 12 days of Sick Leave, 75 hours of Administrative Leave, 11 Holidays and 2 Floating Holidays.
- Social Security: The City of San Rafael does not contribute to social security.
- State Disability Insurance (SDI): Mid-Management Employees at the City of San Rafael do not participate in SDI and are, therefore, not eligible to receive SDI benefits.
- And more......
Contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date/Time: Until filled