The purpose of this position is to ensure a properly maintained landscape and horticulture at Epic Central. This is accomplished by supervising park maintenance staff and contracted work crews; having a hands-on approach to maintaining a superior appearance of landscape beds, trees, turf, and ponds; and completing administrative duties. Other duties include responding to citizen inquiries and complaints; working andEssential Job Functions
This information is intended to be descriptive of the key responsibilities of the position. The following examples do not identify all duties performed by any single incumbent.
This position has responsibilities that require exerting 50-100 lbs. occasionally, 25-50 lbs. frequently, or up to 10-20 lbs. constantly.
- Maintains a superior landscape appearance by performing horticultural and landscape practices including but not limited to properly trimming trees, pruning plant material when needed, implementing, and monitoring Integrated Pest Management (IPM) procedures, coordinating 2-3 color change outs in annual beds and planters, and ensuring fertilizer applications are conducted as needed.
- Supervises and monitors the work of the contracted work crews by ensuring that their responsibilities are met. This is accomplished by knowing the details of the contracts and meeting and coordinating with representatives of the contracted vendors.
- Supervises staff by assigning work duties; prioritizing work activities; observing and monitoring work tasks; conducting performance evaluations; approving leave requests; providing training as needed; conducting staff meetings; and providing advice or assistance as needed.
- Ensures irrigation needs are met by coordinating the adjustments of watering times with the Irrigation Supervisor and crew, monitoring that irrigation inspections are completed properly, relaying irrigation repair needs to irrigation crew or irrigation contractor, and serving as liaison between city and contractors. Occasionally repairing damaged or broken irrigation components.
- Ensures operations and project work are completed by coordinating and scheduling contractors/activities; monitoring field operations; inspecting work completed; ensuring equipment is inspected and maintained, meeting all safety and environmental requirements; ensuring equipment and adequate materials are supplied to crews; ensuring the safety of employees through appropriate operating procedures; investigating complaints from citizens and other customers; and providing assistance on and resolution of work problems.
- Completes administrative duties by requisitioning materials and supplies; preparing documentation for and monitoring the budget; assisting/developing equipment and materials specifications and bids; recording and completing service requests and work activities orders; compiling various reports for management as well as various federal and state regulating entities; responding to emails; returning phone calls; attending meetings; and ensuring the proper payment of contractors; and responding to citizen inquiries or complaints.
- Completes departmentally specific functions by setting up and organizing special events and working with the special events team to ensure all logistics are provided; monitoring infrastructure projects; maintaining specific operations such as parks maintenance; and providing support to all Epic Central partners.
- All other duties as assigned by a supervisor/manager within your department/division.
Any combination equivalent to experience and training that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities may qualify. A typical way to obtain the knowledge, skills and abilities would be:
- Education: Advanced College Hours, Technical School, or Correspondence courses, but no degree
- Experience: 2 - 4 years of related experience,
- Licenses: Valid Driver's License required
- Certifications Required:
- Reading: Intermediate - Ability to read and understand papers, articles, business memos, journals, manuals, written directions, policies, etc. Typically, this level is obtained in high school up to college.
- Math: Intermediate - Practical application of fractions, percentages, ratios/proportions and measurement; typically, this level is obtained in high school up to college.
- Writing: Intermediate -Ability to write reports, prepare business letters, expositions, and summaries with proper format, punctuation, spelling, and grammar, using all parts of speech. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in high school up to college. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
- Managerial: The employee normally performs the duty assignment after general instructions, procedures, methods are communicated. Employee has some discretion on a limited basis when confronted with choices.
- Budget Responsibility: N/A
- Supervisory / Organizational Control: Lead worker who performs essentially the same work as those directed and oversees regular full and part time employees in work quality, training, instructing, and scheduling work.
- Complexity: Work requires analysis and judgment in accomplishing diversified duties. Requires the exercise of independent thinking within the limits of policies, standards, and precedents.
- Interpersonal / Human Relations Skills: Conversation frequent and occur 21% - 50% of the time
Closing Date/Time: Continuous