Tacoma Public Schools
Additional Information: In accordance with Governor Jay Inslee’s announced Proclamation 21-14.1 on August 18th, 2021, all K-12 school district employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by October 18th, 2021. Candidates who are extended a conditional offer of employment with Tacoma Public Schools will be required to submit proof of vaccination status in compliance with Governor Inslee’s mandate, prior to official hire with the district. Individuals qualifying for a medical and/or religious exemption outlined under the Governor’s directive will be required to provide proof of exemption prior to official hire with the district. Tacoma Public Schools Human Resources will work directly with candidates to finalize proof of compliance with the Governor’s mandate prior to official hire.
Additional Resources and Information:
• Press Release from WA Governor’s Office
• Proclamation by the Governor: COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
• OSPI Vaccination Requirement FAQ
• Vaccine Mandate FAQs
• DOH Vaccine fact sheet
Examples Of Duties
This position instructs middle school athletes in the fundamental skills, strategy and physical training necessary for them to realize a degree of individual and team success in their program. The employee must understand and abide by all building, Tacoma School District and Washington Interscholastic Activities Association (WIAA) policies, regulations, procedures and guidelines.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
1) Supervises student athletes to promote effective student learning through participation in athletic activities.
2. Plans, develops and implements an effective program for the particular sport to prepare athletes both physically and mentally to participate with confidence and self-assurance in athletic contests; formulates behavioral objectives for the coming sports season; administers discipline when necessary in a fair and consistent manner; emphasizes safety precautions; provides opportunities for each participant to achieve some success; shares information with parents (rules, schedule, practice days and times) to review the total scope of program; informs participants prior to season about the district’s policies and regulations and extracurricular activity contract.
3. Organizes practice sessions that are both stimulating and instructive; conducts practice with 7th and 8th grade teams four days a week and 6th grade teams two days a week, immediately after school with the idea of developing the athlete’s greatest potential; teaches basic fundamental skills of the sport; prepares daily practice activities and keeps records on file; emphasizes and promotes good sportsmanship in the conduct of team members and coaches.
4. Assumes responsibility for all phases of the program involving coordination of facility use in conjunction with building athletic director; follows building and district procedures for budgeting and purchase of equipment through ASB; follows district procedures for handling injuries; submits to the building athletic director a list of names of students who sustain incapacitating injuries during the season; maintains injury records in conjunction with the building athletic director.
5. Informs students and parents of the proper procedures of eligibility and special rules for the particular sport; posts rules and issues them to each participant.
Establishes an effective system for issuing equipment and maintaining records including dates and times of issuance; assures the systematic return of all equipment, the cleaning and storing of equipment; performs weekly safety check for all equipment; holds students responsible for lost equipment; completes inventory lists and provides copies to the building athletic director.
Makes written recommendations to building athletic director regarding program, facilities, and transportation problems; assists the building athletic director and district athletic director in achieving the objectives of the school’s athletic program
OTHER JOB DUTIES
Attends all district and building athletic meetings as called by building athletic director and/or district athletic director.
Updates knowledge by attending clinics, workshops, and maintaining familiarity with current athletic programs; keeps current with regard to rule changes as adopted by WIAA and Tacoma School District
3. Performs related duties as assigned.
Reports to the Building Athletic Director and/or Principal or designee.
Work with students in outdoor playing fields, indoor and outdoor courts, gymnasium, swimming pool or other sports facility; physical ability to lift and move sports equipment and demonstrate sports skills when necessary; may be exposed to infectious diseases and inclement weather.
Education and Experience
Graduation from high school or equivalent and a minimum of two years of experience as an assistant coach; must be at least 21 years of age (WIAA Regulation) or any combination of experience and training which provides the applicant with the knowledge, skills, and ability required to perform the work and that meets federal and state requirements.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be evaluated by the Human Resources department for comparability.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of building, Tacoma School District, and WIAA policies, regulations, procedures and guidelines.
Knowledge of effective coaching practices/techniques for the particular sport.
Ability to comply with WIAA coaching standards.
Ability to motivate students.
Ability to exercise fairness in dealing with student athletes.
Ability to conduct oneself in an ethical and exemplary manner at all times.
Ability to maintain poise and composure during practice and games.
Ability to relate to students of differing athletic abilities.
Ability to establish and maintain effective work and student relationships with a variety of people in a multi-cultural, diverse socio-economic setting.
Ability to plan, organize, and coordinate athletic activities.
Ability to set-up and maintain accurate records and files.
First Aid Certificate and CPR card are required.
New description created 1/12/06.
Control # D41-03
This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. District administration has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice. The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the primary functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility, but should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise balance the workload.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous