This position is responsible for the collection of recyclable materials and refuse.Major Duties
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Performs collection duties. (70%)
- Drives a rear-loading truck or compartmentalized recycling vehicle, or tows a trailer along a predetermined route to collect and haul recyclable materials and to collect and dispose of trash.
- Loads and empties recyclables into truck.
- Transports recyclables to processing area; unloads recycling and resumes route.
- Maintains radio contact with Crew Leader regarding route changes and work orders.
- Monitors weather and road conditions.
- Performs equipment operation and maintenance duties. (20%)
- Performs routine maintenance on truck or other equipment.
- Informs appropriate personnel of needed repairs.
- Performs pre- and post-trip inspections.
- Washes truck on a regular basis.
- Operates a variety of other assigned equipment, including forklift, backhoe, etc.
- Operates hoisting devices.
- Operates equipment to compress collectables.
- Assists with other manual labor duties as assigned.
- Performs related duties. (10%)
- Demonstrates punctual, regular, and reliable attendance.
- Attends meetings, workshops, and training sessions.
- Provides innovative solutions to enhance current processes and procedures and/or resolve workplace issues.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of collection procedures and routes.
- Knowledge of local geography and streets.
- Knowledge of preventive maintenance techniques as related to division equipment and vehicles.
- Skill in the operation of recycling equipment and other related equipment.
- Skill in decision making and problem solving.
- Skill in interpersonal relations and in dealing with the public.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others.
The Crew Leader - Recycling assigns work in terms of somewhat general instructions. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with instructions and established procedures, accuracy and the nature and propriety of the final results.Guidelines
Guidelines include traffic laws, equipment operation guidelines, City and department policies and procedures, and Auburn Core Values, Vision, and Mission statements. These guidelines are generally clear and specific, but may require some interpretation in application.Complexity/Scope of Work
- The work consists of related duties in the collection and transport of recyclable waste. Inclement weather contributes to the complexity of the position.
- The purpose of this position is to participate in the collection of recyclable materials. Success in this position contributes to the safe and efficient management of solid waste.
Physical Demands/Work Environment
- Contacts are typically with co-workers and members of the general public.
- Contacts are typically to give or exchange information, resolve problems, and provide services.
- The work is typically performed while intermittently sitting, standing, stooping, or walking. The employee frequently lifts light objects weighing less than 24 pounds and occasionally lifts heavy objects weighing 24 or more pounds. The employee utilizes the sense of smell.
- The work is typically performed outdoors. The employee is exposed to noise, dust, dirt, grease, machinery with moving parts, contagious or infectious diseases, irritating chemicals, and occasional cold or inclement weather. The work requires the use of protective devices such as masks, goggles, gloves, etc.
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with completion of specialized training in the field of work, in addition to basic skills typically associated with a high school education; and
- Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position, usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or having had a similar position for one to two years.
- Possession of a valid Class A Commercial Driver's License.