CLASS SUMMARYThe City of Spokane invites applicants to apply for the position ofTEMP SEASONAL - BUILDING INSPECTOR
Performs skilled technical inspection work in inspecting commercial and residential constructions to verify conformance with safety laws, codes and ordinances. Duties are varied and require analyzing facts to determine proper course of action within the limits of established laws and procedures. Employee has regular outside contacts of a regulatory nature requiring discretion and technical competence. Work is light in nature, performed under varying weather conditions and requires above normal attention to prevent errors.
- 40 hours per week for a 6 month duration, Monday to Friday hours 7am to 3:30pm.
2. 25-30 hours per week for 9 month duration, Flexible days
(no weekends!) hours 7am to 3:30pm.
Must have valid driver's license as work is performed City of Spokane wide. Vehicle to be determined. May be able to drive personal vehicle with demonstration of required insurance to be reimbursed with paid mileage or agency will provide the vehicle.
Tools and additional safety equipment provided.
Estimated paid training time of 3-4 weeks working directly with inspectors before performing independent inspections.
This position pays $25 + an hour DOE. This position does not offer benefits.
EXAMPLES OF JOB FUNCTIONS
The following Responsibilities and Requirements are functions the individual who holds or desires the position must be able to perform unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation.
- Assist with providing inspection services for building projects.
- Performs skilled technical work and evaluation by inspecting commercial and residential construction in order to guarantee compliance with safety laws and codes.
- Performs field inspection of new construction, remodels and repairs of footings, foundation walls, framing, trusses, insulation, ceilings, roofing, grading, finishing, concrete, structural steel and sheet metal work. Will also evaluate structural element systems.
- Inspects and notifies homeowners, contractors, architects regarding inspection process, code requirements and code violations as appropriate.
- Background in plumbing systems helpful but not necessary.
- We will train the right candidate.
The candidate should be able to demonstrate a minimum of four years of experience as a building foreperson or two years of experience as a building inspector with a government agency. The candidate shall demonstrate experience in:
To be considered for this position, please upload a cover letter and resume.
- Considerable knowledge of building codes, construction and design, materials and equipment.
- Ability to read and interpret construction drawings and specifications to determine conformity to applicable codes.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service and maintain effective working relationships.
- Computer, tablet or smartphone experience preferred.
- Please indicate if you carry any code certifications or specialty licenses.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity within our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, familial status, genetic information, veteran/military status or disability status.
Closing Date/Time: 2022-07-31