The City of Fort Lauderdale employees possess a passion for public service demonstrated by a high degree of enthusiasm, self-reliance, and job proficiency. They effectively convey the vision and mission of the organization and provide excellent service and satisfaction to our internal and external customers.
An employee in this class is responsible for the organization and personal leadership of a variety of recreation activities in an indoor and/or outdoor recreation setting or facility. Assist in overseeing staff who handles organizing and conduction games, sports, social and other recreational activities. Work is normally performed under the general supervision of a higher classified employee who issues written and oral instructions. Work is reviewed by the immediate supervisor; constant supervision is not necessary for routine and repetitive tasks. ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Essential functions are the basic job duties that an employee must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation. The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. The omission of a function does not preclude management from assigning essential duties not listed herein if such duties relate to the position.
JOB REQUIREMENTS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Helps in maintaining order and enforcing rules and regulations at recreational facilities
- Assists in maintaining safety and health standards at facilities and during programs
- Selects materials and adopts suitable teaching materials for individual needs
- Sets up and breakdowns of facilities, programs and events
- May be required to instruct adult programs such as art, dance, sports, fitness, etc.
- May serve as a water aerobics instructor
- May serve as a sports official or coach during adult sports
- May serve as a tennis instructor
- May serve as a face painter
- May serve as a lead event worker during the City's special events
- May serve as a team lead when necessary
- May work weekends, nights and holidays
- Provides assistance to Recreation Program Coordinator
- Performs related work as required
PHYSICAL STANDARDS REQUIRED TO PERFORM ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- High school or G.E.D.
- Must be 18 years old or older
- If working as a water aerobics instructor, must possess two (2) years experience in water aerobics instruction, valid American Red Cross CPR for Professional Rescuer certification and First Aid Certificate. Preferred United States Water Fitness Association certification or equivalent
- If working as an adult sports official or coach, must possess one (1) year experience in sports instruction or officiating.
- If working as a lead event worker, must possess two (2) years experience working with a special events team.
- If working as a tennis instructor, must possess one (1) year experience in tennis instruction. Ability to instruct while adhering to professional standards set for by the U.S. Professional Tennis Association. Ability to demonstrate 4.0 level of ability in accordance with National Tennis Rating Program. Preferred U.S Professional Tennis Association or Professional Tennis Registery membership.
- If working as a face painter, must possess six (6) months experience in an artistic field
- Candidates must pass a fingerprinting/background screening process prior to employment
The noise level in the work environment is quiet to moderately loud. The work entails sedentary work in an office setting. While performing duties, employee is frequently required to stand, walk, stoop, talk, hear, reach above and below shoulders, and use hand and fingers dexterity keyboarding. The employee may be required on rare occasions to lift up to 50 pounds.
Sometimes work is stressful when working under stringent time constraints. Vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word, and conveying detailed or important instructions to others accurately, loudly, or quickly. Hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels, and to receive detailed information through oral communications and/or to make fine distinctions in sound; visual acuity is required for depth perception, color perception.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Closing Date/Time: 1/9/2023 11:59 PM Eastern