The City of Riverside is accepting applications for the position of Wastewater Maintenance Mechanic
to fill multiple vacancies in the Sewer Plant Maintenance Division
of the Public Works Department.
The eligibility list established may be used to fill the current and/or upcoming vacancies within this classification for up to six (6) months.
The Riverside Water Quality Control Plant (RWQCP) is located at 5950 Acorn Street Riverside, CA 92504. This plant expansion introduced several new technologies designed to produce high quality effluent water and increase the plant's efficiency. As currently constructed, the RWQCP consists of two separate treatment plants with a common chlorine contact basin, de-chlorination and outfall structures. These provide preliminary, primary, secondary and tertiary treatment for a rated capacity of 46 million gallons per day (MGD).
Under general supervision, a Wastewater Maintenance Mechanic is to perform skilled work in the installation, maintenance and repair of heavy industrial/plant mechanical and electro-mechanical machinery and equipment; and to do related work as required.
First review of applications 2/24/2022 and every two weeks thereafter until filled.
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Operate lathe, milling machine and other machine tools in the repair of large pumps, variable speed drives, motors, chain drives, sewerage lift stations and related equipment.
- Replace packing in pumps and valves and bearings in motors, pumps and other equipment.
- Maintain and repair piping systems and do related plumbing and pipefitting tasks.
- Lubricate equipment and check for malfunctions.
- Use gas and/or arc welding equipment to heat, cut, braze and weld.
- Install pumps, variable speed drives and motors, controllers, timing devices and assist in installing telemetering electrical equipment.
- Perform general building maintenance and repair, including rough carpentry, pouring and finishing concrete, painting and related work.
- Use of a variety of hand and power hand tools, and may operate a variety of mobile equipment such as fork lifts, dump trucks, flat bed trucks, loaders, tractors, backhoes, water trucks.
- Assist in providing lead direction and/or training to lesser skilled workers, as assigned.
Qualifications Recruitment Guidelines:
Education: Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade.
Experience: Three years of experience in the installation, repair, and maintenance of heavy industrial/plant mechanical equipment such as pumps, motors, vari-speed and chain drives, lift stations and related.Necessary Special Requirement
Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid Class "B" California motor vehicle operator's license.Highly Desired Qualifications:
- Possession of Mechanical Technologist Certification from the California Water Environment Association (CWEA).
- Possession of a Crane Operators Certification from the National Commission for the Certification of Crane Operators (NCCCO).
Selection Process DOCUMENTS REQUIRED AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION: 1)
Completed Employment Application 2)
Completed Supplemental QuestionnairePLEASE NOTE: FOR DIRECTIONS ON ATTACHING A DOCUMENT TO AN ON-LINE APPLICATION, OR GENERAL INFORMATION ON COMPLETING YOUR ON-LINE APPLICATION, CLICK HERE: ( Application Guide). IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON SCHEDULING ASSESSMENTS:
If you are selected to move forward in the assessment process, you may be required to self-schedule your appointment. You will be notified via email of your status and provided with self-scheduling instructions. Please check your email regularly following the closing date of this recruitment.
The selection process will begin with an employment application package screening, with the best qualified candidates being invited to participate further in the assessment process. This process may include any combination of written, performance, and oral assessments to evaluate job-related education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities. Those who successfully complete the selection process will be placed on the eligibility list for this classification.
Positions that require, or may require, a California Commercial Driver's License
are considered Safety Sensitive and are monitored by the U.S. Department of Transportation. Any candidate being considered for a Safety Sensitive position must submit authorization forms to the City immediately upon request to begin the pre-employment process.
It is the responsibility of candidates with a disability requiring accommodation in the assessment process to contact the Human Resources Department in writing to request such accommodation prior to the closing date of this recruitment.
Appointment may be subject to the successful completion of a pre-employment background investigation, drug screen, and/or medical/physical examination. NOTE
: The City reserves the right to modify selection devices and test instruments in accordance with accepted legal, ethical, and professional standards. Candidates may reapply when there is a posting to establish an eligibility list. EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
Proof of education listed in your application will be requested at the time of conditional offer. Acceptable documentation consists of transcripts or degree, if applicable, by the accredited U.S. college or university.
Education obtained outside the United States (US) require one of the following options:
All applicants will be notified via e-mail or telephone of their application status and the assessment dates/times/locations after the closing date of this announcement. THE PROVISIONS OF THIS JOB ANNOUNCEMENT DO NOT CONSTITUTE AN EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED CONTRACT.
- An equivalency statement from an evaluation company certified by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) at http://www.naces.org/members.html or the Association of International Credential Evaluators Inc. (AICE) at http://aice-eval.org/members/.
- An advanced-level degree from an accredited US college or university.