Our team is looking for adult and youth flag football referees and adult softball umpires. The primary duties of a sports official are to officiate assigned games for league and tournament play. Must be able to make instantaneous decisions on rules of play set forth by Spokane Parks and Recreation. Decisions should be made based on rules and policies set forth by the department. Approx. 2.5 - 20 hours a week, based on availability.
Paid training is also available. This may include mechanics and rules of the game both on the filed and in the classroom and de-escalation training.Hourly pay is $16.50/hr or more Depending On Experience.
EXAMPLES OF JOB FUNCTIONS
The primary duties of the Sports Official include, but are not limited to:
- Observe actions of players, regulate play, ensure guidelines, rules and sportsmanship are enforced
- Resolve conflict among players, spectators, and others in stressful situations.
- Officials may confer with other officials or department staff to coordinate actions and discuss problems.
Other responsibilities will include, but not limited to:
- Record keeping
- Document game and/or incident reports
- Document accidents/injuries
- Inspect sports equipment and/or players to ensure safety and compliance with rules;
- Put player safety and health first by dealing effectively with unsafe situations or player conduct, including coaches and the general public.
Previous experience working within recreation programs, and/or previous team-sports experience (officiating experience desired but not required). Seeking outgoing and professional individuals who possess the ability to make instantaneous decisions, resolve conflicts, and be able to handle stress and pressure well.
Must be 18 years of age and have reliable transportation
Applicants are subject to background checks & drug test.
- Have excellent communication skills and decision-making skills
- Ability to work as a team member and/or independently
- Availibilty to work evening and weekend hours
- Ability to lift 20-50 lbs with or without reasonable accommodation
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity within our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, familial status, genetic information, veteran/military status or disability status.