Description:FACULTY EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY DEPARTMENT OF ART ASSISTANT PROFESSOR OF ART FULL-TIME TENURE-TRACK THE UNIVERSITY:
California State University, East Bay (CSUEB) is a comprehensive university serving the San Francisco Bay Area/Silicon Valley. It is known for award-winning programs, expert instruction, its diverse student body, and a choice of more than 100 career-focused fields of study. With an enrollment of approximately 15,000 students and 900 faculty, CSUEB is organized into four colleges. The University offers bachelor's degrees in 49 fields, minors in 52 fields, master's degrees in 34 fields, 16 credentials programs, 18 certificate options, and 1 doctoral degree program. http://www20.csueastbay.edu/
California State University East Bay has a mission to support a diverse student body through academically rich and culturally relevant learning experiences. The successful candidate will bring with them expertise or an openness to creating a welcoming and supportive environment for all students. THE DEPARTMENT:
The Department of Art serves over 530 Art majors and offers the BFA and BA degrees in concentration areas including graphic design, video & animation, illustration, fine arts, interaction & game design, photography, art history and visual studies, and offers an MA degree in interaction design & interactive art.
Please visit our website at http://www20.csueastbay.edu/class/departments/art/ DUTIES OF THE POSITION:
The Art Department is seeking candidates with an active multidisciplinary teaching orientation working within traditional, digital and/or emerging creative arts fields, to apply for a full-time Assistant Professor tenure-track faculty position.
We invite imaginative, skillful applicants, with varied life experiences, perspectives, racial, gender, social and cultural backgrounds, whose vision will engage with our students in preparing and empowering them for participation in the changing nature of art, design, work, and collaboration in the 21st century.
We especially welcome applicants who are committed to equity focused teaching practices, can demonstrate their commitment to and success in engaging with diverse populations working through the lens of inclusivity and diversity within curricular design, the classroom and their professional practice.
Please note that teaching assignments at California State University, East Bay include courses at the Hayward, Concord, and Online campuses. RANK AND SALARY:
- Teach in one or more of the BA/BFA/MA programs depending on expertise and in core undergraduate art classes.
- Assist in developing curriculum and managing BA/BFA Studio Art and/or Design programs.
- Recruit students for the Department of Art by building and maintaining connections with community and professional organizations as well as local community colleges.
- Maintain a record of professional activity (e.g. exhibition, scholarly work/ creative activity) commensurate with assigned teaching and other duties as required by University retention, tenure, and promotion policies and procedures.
- In addition to teaching, all faculty have advising responsibilities, assist the department with administrative and/or committee work, and are expected to assume campus-wide committee responsibilities.
- Work respectfully and collaboratively to cultivate diverse, multicultural, equitable and inclusive educational settings.
Assistant Professor. Salary is dependent upon educational preparation and experience. Subject to budgetary authorization. DATE OF APPOINTMENT:
Fall Semester, 2022 QUALIFICATIONS:
Candidates should demonstrate experience in teaching, mentoring, research, or community service that has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence
- Candidates must have earned a MDes or MFA degree in art or design in a field related to one of our existing BFA Concentrations with clear expertise in creative practice no later than the effective date of the appointment.
- Candidates must have a demonstrated record of creative work and recognized creative achievement.
- Achievement or work in graphic or interaction design, video, animation, game design, photography, or illustration is preferred.
- Candidates whose teaching or creative work address justice, equity, diversity, inclusion are preferred.
- Experience with inclusive teaching strategies or innovative pedagogy to effectively engage our diverse student populations is preferred.
- Candidates with successful teaching experience, especially experience at the college or university level, are preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment to community engagement is preferred.
- Experience with teaching, mentoring, and advising with students from diverse backgrounds and a demonstrated commitment to improving their access to higher education is preferred.
. Additionally, applicants must demonstrate a record of scholarly activity. This University is fully committed to the rights of students, staff and faculty with disabilities in accordance with applicable state and federal laws. For more information about the University's program supporting the rights of our students with disabilities see: http://www20.csueastbay.edu/af/departments/as/ APPLICATION DEADLINE:
- Review of applications will begin on January 28, 2022. Positions are open until filled.
- For full consideration, all materials should be submitted by January 28, 2022. The position will be considered open until filled.
Applicants must apply through PageUp (see "Apply Now"). Questions about the position may be addressed to Annie Hoang, ART Department Administrative Coordinator by email at email@example.com
- A letter of application, which addresses the qualifications noted in the position announcement;
- A complete and current vita;
- A Portfolio of your Completed Works as a PDF document with brief descriptions of each work (with links to any works online);
- If you have taught before, then Samples of your Students' Work, as evidence of successful instruction, submitted as a PDF document with up to 10 different works with brief descriptions of each;
- The names and contact information for three professional or academic references. Letters of recommendation may be required at a later date;
- A one-two page diversity, equity, inclusion statement that addresses how you will serve our diverse student population in your teaching, research, creative practice, mentoring, and advising;
- Teaching statement.
Note: California State University, East Bay hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States. All offers of employment are contingent upon presentation of documents demonstrating the appointee's identity and eligibility to work in accordance with provisions of the Immigration Reform and Control Act. A background check (including a criminal records check and prior employment verification) must be completed and cleared prior to the start of employment.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, CSUEB does not discriminate on the basis of any protected categories: age, ancestry, citizenship, color, disability, gender, immigration status, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran's status. The University is committed to the principles of diversity in employment and to creating a stimulating learning environment for its diverse student body.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled