Reporting to the IT Support Manager for Desktop Support, the position provides primary support for desktop computing, network, server, and other Information Technologies for supported areas of the University. The incumbent will establish and maintain working relationships with customers, recommend changes to improve quality and services, identify and remediate problems, lead projects and implementations, develop practices and procedures and perform highly technical work in support of departmental and campus IT operations.
The incumbent in this position also delegates work to the Desktop Support team, provides input for employee evaluations and works closely with the management team to meet department goals. This position has primary responsibility for providing expert-level support for specialized systems in the University Police Department, including RIMS, CLETS, BodyCams, In-Car Computers, e911, etc.Key Responsibilities
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Provides leadership and work delegation for the Desktop Support Services staff, and provides input for staff Performance Evaluations.
- Provide Project Management services for highly technical information technology projects.
- Provide support for advanced IT issues escalated by other IT support staff.
- Serve as an expert liaison between Campus customers and Level 2 & 3 systems administrators and technical experts to facilitate problem resolution and the development of new technical solutions.
- Support specialized applications for academic, administrative, and research departments, as needed.
- Provide expert-level support for specialized systems in use by the University Police Department, including RIMS, CLETS, CopLink, BodyCams, In-Car Computers, e911, etc.
- Receive and respond to tech support requests, provide direct technical support to customers, and route and escalate trouble tickets to appropriate techs or other departments, as needed. Field technical questions, solve computer-related issues, and provide customer service and technical support to end-users.
- Train users on hardware, software, network connectivity, and use of other IT systems and services.
- Troubleshoot applications, file servers, operating systems, and other technologies.
- Support users with using Google Workspace apps, Active Directory, Databases, File Shares, desktops, laptops, printers, scanners, mobile devices and other technologies.
- Ensure that systems are properly connected and configured to operate within campus standards.
- Upgrade, update & patch software and operating systems as necessary.
- Assist in creation of Active Directory Users, Passwords, Security Groups, File Shares, etc.
- Advanced knowledge of and demonstrated technical proficiency in Microsoft Windows workstations & server management, including file sharing and print servers
- Strong knowledge of alternative operating systems (OSX, Linux, Unix)
- Demonstrated ability to train non-technical users on applications and hardware
- Demonstrated ability to effectively consult end users on effective solutions by gathering requirements and making technical recommendations
- Demonstrated ability to plan, organize, and direct the work of assigned projects, and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Comprehensive knowledge of operating systems, Active Directory, Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Cloud, Google Workspace, databases, and other office productivity technologies
- Ability to operate and maintain enterprise workstation imaging/deployment solutions such as MDT, SCCM, Intune, & Jamf
- Ability to disassemble, repair, and replace internal computer components
- Ability to plan, organize and maintain inventory of all systems
- Strong project management skills
- Ability to train technicians on new technologies
- Advanced knowledge of and ability to support specialized, law-enforcement systems such as RIMS CAD, CLETS, Coplink, BodyCams, In-Car Computers, e911 systems, security camera systems, etc
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, information systems, educational technology, communications, or related fields, or similar certified coursework in applicable fields of study
- Five years of experience supporting information systems and technology
- Microsoft or other related IT Certifications
- Completion of RIMS CAD/RMS Support Training
- Minimum of 7 years in supporting information systems and technologies
- Project Management Experience
Classification: Information Technology Consultant - Expert
Salary Range: $6,249/month - $11,406/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: November 11, 2021 through November 25, 2021
. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.Contact Information
408-924-2252CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as a condition of employment. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/
and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
. Additional Information
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled