Licenses and Certifications Required:
- Graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Business; Public Administration with concentration in Finance, Accounting, or Economics; or a closely related field, plus seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience related to the job, in a large and complex municipal or other governmental organization, including (3) three years of experience which were in a supervisory or management capacity.
- Graduation with a Master's degree from an accredited college or university in Business Administration, Public Administration, or another relevant field may substitute for one (1) year of experience.
None.Notes to Applicants
Working with the City of Austin provides a number of health and welfare benefits such as low-cost medical, dental, vision, paid leave time, a highly competitive retirement plan, training opportunities and more. Please click HERE
for more information.
To view the detailed Recruitment Profile for this position, please Click Here.
Regarding Your Application:
- A detailed and complete Employment Application is required. Resume and Cover Letter are required and will not be accepted in lieu of a complete online Employment Application.
- Verification of employment history dates on resume should match online Employment Application.
- Employment history dates must include month and year.
- This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation ( CBI ).
- To ensure consideration, candidates should apply by December 24, 2021. To apply, candidates must complete this online application. Interested candidates should apply early in the process for optimum consideration.
- This position is subject to the Texas Open Records Act.
Monday - Friday 8:00AM - 5:00PM.
Hours subject to change based upon business needs. Job Close Date Type of Posting
Financial Services Regular/Temporary
Regular Grant Funded or Pooled Position
Not Applicable Category
124 W. 8th St., Austin, TX 78701 Preferred Qualifications
The ideal candidate should be knowledgeable in preparing and managing City budgets, governmental entity financial functions, accounting, forecasting, debt management, and regulatory filings and reporting. The candidate should possess excellent interpersonal skills with a strong ability to apply a social, racial, and equity lens in order to establish relationships with City staff and the community. Advanced written and verbal communication skills are imperative for this position. The following core competencies are important for this role:
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Finance Experience - Extensive Governmental Finance experience.
- Exceptional Leadership - A cohesive leader with the ability to build quality interpersonal relationships throughout the City with diverse communities and populations.
- Communicates Effectively with an Equity Mindset- Ability to manage diversity, understand inclusion, and work with diverse communities and populations to build constructive and effective relationships and convey and receive information.
- Strategic Thinker - An aligned forward thinker with the ability to formulate, implement, and communicate sound business strategy clearly and concisely.
- Customer Focused - Strives to deliver high-quality results and superior service that exceeds expectations while remaining mindful of the needs and perspectives of both our internal and external stakeholders.
- Community Collaborator - Has experience presenting complex financial strategies to internal and external stakeholders on projects and programs that may include public outreach, council updates, and program implementation.
Agility - Ability to effectively manage changes and guide those changes through significant challenges while achieving organizational goals and objectives.
Equity Lens - Ability to use an equity lens and framework to create inclusive, diverse, and safe workplaces and programs.
Directs, plans, and coordinates the activities of personnel involved in reviewing, examining, and evaluating proposed budgets, including operating, grants, capital, and special project budgets. Develops processes to determine trends affecting budget needs and to provide budget forecasting. Develops budget preparation guidelines. Interprets budget directives and policies and establishes procedures and practices for implementing policies. Plans, reviews, and conducts special studies in such areas as information flow, work production methods, operating procedures, or cost analysis to determine the most effective method of accomplishing work and to support an organizational culture of continuous improvement. Directs organization-wide performance measurement and strategic alignment programs including alignment of missions, goals, and funding to the organization's strategic priorities; supporting data analysis; and facilitating performance management sessions to assess and improve organization performance and change-management initiatives. Consults with City management to ensure adjustments are made in accordance with program changes to facilitate long-term planning. Testifies regarding proposed budgets before examining and fund-granting authorities to clarify reports and gain support for estimated budget needs. Responsibilities - Supervisor and/or Leadership Exercised:
Responsible for the full range of supervisory activities including selection, training, evaluation, counseling, and recommendation for dismissal. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
Criminal Background Investigation
- Knowledge of principles and methods of budget and long-range plan preparation, maintenance, and controls.
- Knowledge of principles and methods of management analysis and research.
- Knowledge of process continuous improvement tools, frameworks, and methods.
- Skill in planning and controlling the work of others.
- Skill in oral and written communications.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
- Skill in using computers and related software applications.
- Skill in preparing comprehensive reports and recommendations.
- Skill in data analysis and problem solving.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective communication and working relationships with City of Austin administrators, employees, and the public.
- Ability to develop strategic direction and program implementation collaboratively with various stakeholder/community groups.
- Ability to use an equity-lens to budgetary decisions.
This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation. EEO/ADA
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445. Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within
the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* This position requires a Graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Business; Public Administration with concentration in Finance, Accounting, or Economics; or a closely related field, plus seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience related to the job, in a large and complex municipal or other governmental organization, including (3) three years of experience which were in a supervisory or management capacity OR a Graduation with a Master's degree from an accredited college or university in Business Administration, Public Administration, or another relevant field may substitute for one (1) year of experience. Do you meet these minimum requirements?
* If selected as a top candidate, do you agree to a criminal background investigation?
* Please describe your experience preparing and managing budgets, financial functions, accounting, forecasting, debt management, regulatory filings, and reporting in a municipality or similar.
(Open Ended Question)
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Cover Letter Resume Optional Documents