About Our Job
Employment Requirement: City employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. All persons offered a position will be required to provide valid proof of vaccination prior to starting employment. Refer to the COVID-19 Employee Vaccination Mandate Candidate Q&A
for additional information.
About the Department of Finance
The Department of Finance manages the city's investing, fiscal analysis, budgeting, debt and asset management, tax assessment and collection, and accounting functions as well as establishing, maintaining and enforcing fiscal policies, practices and procedures for the entire City and County of Denver. The Department commits to Denver residents the delivery of these services through a financial structure that mirrors the best practices of both the public and private sectors. This commitment promotes better service, enhanced performance measures, maximum accountability and improved business processes.
About the Controller's Office
The Office of the Controller keeps the City's ledgers and books, manages payroll and accounts payable; establishes and enforces Citywide financial policies, procedures and internal controls; produces the financial reports including the annually audited financial statements of the City; and works with agencies to improve financial skills. The Controller's Office is a dynamic environment that seeks innovative ideas that promote effective, efficient, and accountable government while maintaining the highest level of integrity.
Diversity in the City
The City and County of Denver is committed to cultivating a culture of equity, diversity, and inclusion. This commitment is woven into our values and belief that we are strongest when we embrace and celebrate our differences. We aim to have employees who are as diverse as our residents, with different perspectives and unique ways of thinking. If you share these values and our enthusiasm for equity, we encourage you to apply to join our team.
As an Accounts Payable Specialist you will provide financial management services to multiple City agencies. The services provided include financial record keeping, procurement/payables support, and processing financial transactions. The work will be fluid, dynamic, and require the highest level of customer service to our internal clients. Our team values innovative individuals with a strong commitment toward public service. We are looking for candidates who possess exceptional customer service skills, effective knowledge of business processes and the ability to thrive in a team environment.
Additionally, as an Accounts Payable Specialist, you can expect to:
- Support client agency's budget process by helping with budget errors and match exceptions to ensure Agency payables are executed as effectively and efficiently as possible and verify that transactions comply with financial policies and procedures
- Prepare batches of invoices for data entry and key invoice data into the accounts payable system timely and accurately
- Review documents to detect and correct errors and review difficult situations with supervisors
- Ensure invoice coding accuracy and compliance with cost report guidelines.
- Reconcile vendor statements monthly and communicate regularly with outside vendors, department managers, and city accountants
- Maintain and support a culture of compliance, ethics and integrity
- Assist in finding ways to improve workplace organization, reduce waste, increase safety and quality, and enable continuous improvement
- Provide excellent customer service to client agencies and suppliers
- Develop and maintain positive relationships based on trust and collaboration with agency personnel.
- Perform other duties as assigned or requested
We are looking for someone with some or all of the following skills and experience:
- Accounts Payable experience
- Basic bookkeeping experience
- Passion and dedication to ensuring the highest level of customer service to our clients
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a collaborative team.
- A positive and proactive approach
We realize your time is valuable so please do not apply if you do not have at least the following required minimum qualifications:
About Everything Else
- Education requirement: Graduation from high school or the possession of a GED, HiSET or TASC Certificate.
- Experience Requirement: Three (3) years of experience performing financial recordkeeping, reconciliation of accounting discrepancies, and making journal and ledger entries.
- Education/Experience Equivalency: Additional appropriate education may be substituted for the minimum experience requirements.
CV2359 Accounting Technician II
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here
Position Salary Range
$19.31 - $28.97
$19.31 - $22.00/hour, based on education and experience
Department of Finance
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
For information about right to work, click here
for English or here