At CSUN we aspire to continually grow as an inclusive, cooperative community! CSUN strives to be a destination workplace, where everyone understands that they belong to a community that is vital in advancing student success and providing exemplary service to all stakeholders. We foster an environment of success, both for our students and our employees. We have a relentless passion for celebrating diversity, equity, and inclusion as well as being an employer of choice. You will also have the opportunity to realize your own personal goals and be recognized for the work you do and enjoy the unique value the CSUN community can offer. As a leader you will have the opportunity to thrive in a community in which our leaders share common traits as identified in our Leadership Principles https://www.csun.edu/leadership-principles. If this sounds like you, you've come to the right place.
One of the largest universities in the country, California State University, Northridge (CSUN) is an urban, comprehensive university that delivers award-winning undergraduate and graduate programs to nearly 40,000 students annually and counts more than 375,000 alumni who fuel the region's economy. Since its founding in 1958, CSUN has made a significant and long-term economic impact on California, generating nearly $1.9 billion in economic impact and nearly 12,000 jobs each year. The Association of Public and Land-grant Universities named CSUN an Innovation and Economic Prosperity University, the Wall Street Journal ranked CSUN second in the nation for the university's diverse learning environment, and CSUN is the nation's fourth-ranked school on CollegeNET's 2020 Social Mobility Index.
The Position of Vice President for Information Technology & Chief Information Officer (VPIT):
• The Vice President for Information Technology and Chief Information Officer (VPIT) reports to the President and works collaboratively with the President's Cabinet to advance the strategic vision, mission and values of the institution. The VPIT is the creative and visionary leader of the Division of Information Technology (IT) and champions the progressive use of technology to foster an equitable, digitally enabled institution to enable teaching and research, facilitate student learning and success, empower innovation, provide intuitive services, and operate productively, efficiently, sustainably and cost effectively. Serving as a champion of an inclusive and equitable community, the VPIT supports the highest quality learning environment in support of student success and equitable educational opportunities. The VPIT fosters a culture described by CSUN's leadership principles and promotes and models excellent customer service and active participation and respect for California State University's shared governance structure.
• The VPIT will demonstrate a deep commitment to diversity, inclusion and racial equity; and the ability to be a strong advocate for higher education, particularly for a student-focused, minority-serving institution.
• The VPIT will work collaboratively to provide a vision and strategic direction for the application and delivery of information technology for the University and will envision, investigate, design, and champion the development of new and emerging IT-based systems and solutions to fully support the University's core academic mission and its business functions. The VPIT will guide the use of technology as a mechanism to promote inclusion and take action to address digital inequities.
• The VPIT has overall responsibility for CSUN's information technology infrastructure, assets and services, providing leadership to a team of approximately 190 dedicated and highly committed professionals engaged in Technology Services, Academic Technologies and Information Security. The VP of IT cultivates a strong, diverse and cohesive team focused on inclusivity, quality and longevity.
• The VPIT prioritizes the partnership with college and divisional IT teams and Faculty Development to support teaching, learning and scholarship; with the Office of the Provost to plan and support classroom technology; and with University Advancement to enable the web and communications that connect CSUN to its internal and external constituents.
• The VPIT serves as the University champion in driving accessibility initiatives and ensures the University's technologies are accessible and designed in accordance with best practice standards and relevant laws and policies.
• The VPIT is responsible for the development of policies, procedures and guidelines for the deployment of computing and Internet technologies.
• The VPIT ensures an effective, robust and secure technology infrastructure to keep the University's technology assets safe and sensitive information secure. The VPIT provides advice and guidance to management on the emerging challenges in information security faced by academic institutions and leads initiatives to implement strategies to effectively mitigate the risks.
• The VPIT creates an environment that ensures the integrity of institutional information and business continuity, including the development, oversight and assessment of disaster recovery and backup procedures.
• The VPIT effectively manages operating and capital budgets and prepares, recommends, and implements budgets for assigned areas, monitors expenditures, assures that human and financial resources are allocated efficiently and effectively, and takes necessary actions to ensure compliance with budget limitations and established fiscal policies. The VPIT will develop and effectively articulate funding needs and strategies to support the implementation and ongoing maintenance of technology initiatives.
• The VPIT manages key relationships with IT vendors and service providers and participates in vendor contract negotiations for new computer equipment, cloud computing and software purchases.
• As a member of the President's Cabinet, the VPIT will contribute to and drive a positive culture, exemplifying the attributes of the campus Leadership Principles and will encourage and model collaboration within the division and between the division and other campus divisions and departments.
• As a champion of the CSU, the VPIT will collaborate with systemwide colleagues to advance the mission and recognition of the transformative impact of the CSU across the state and nation. The VPIT will work in alignment and as a partner on the initiatives, goals and systemwide policies in accomplishing their work.
• As a leader, demonstrates a commitment to student success that is mission aligned with the university's vision, values and priorities. Establishes an ethical and collegial work environment, promoting a collaborative, accountable and inclusive team. Encourages a courageous and resilient solution-oriented environment by participating in new opportunities to further the mission of the university. Participates in developing initiatives that further support the campus mission with a service-oriented and catalytic mindset. Strengthens employees by being communicative and a talent builder that develops team attributes, furthering departmental goals.
• Minimum Qualifications; a Master's degree, or a Bachelor's Degree with equivalent experience. A record of at least five (5) years of progressive and successful IT leadership commensurate with the role of VPIT. A successful record of leading ADA compliancy efforts (Section 508) and other initiatives targeting equitable access and closing the digital divide. A strong record of commitment to and cultivation of equity, inclusion and student success and deep appreciation for the richly diverse student population that CSUN serves. Preferred Qualifications; include a breadth of experience in technology management including the implementation and maintenance of enterprise resource planning to achieve demonstratable improvements in business and instruction and oversight of critical infrastructure, security management, desktop support, and Help Desk processes. Demonstrated knowledge with experience in a broad range of information technologies as well as a solid understanding of trends in higher education broadly, and technology and student-centered applications specifically, with the ability to articulate concepts and directions to the university leadership and campus community. Track record of successfully managing complex projects and strategic activities, including technology innovation and maintenance of projects, across the division and university around a shared vision for success. A background in higher education leadership and management within a union environment. Outstanding written and verbal skills and the ability to convey technically complex information and concepts in accessible terms. Outstanding interpersonal communication skills including diplomacy, inclusion, listening, and consensus building to inform the decision-making process. Demonstrated experience leading and integrating diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives. Demonstrated ability to execute quickly and capacity to effectively partner with the president, cabinet, deans, faculty, staff, and students of diverse backgrounds. Demonstrated success in leading a team and the willingness to serve as a motivator and mentor to staff while achieving university, division and unit goals. Experience and commitment to enhancing an active and collaborative relationship between Information Technology and other divisions (Academic Affairs, Student Affairs, Administration and Finance, and University Relations & Advancement).
Effective Date of Appointment: As soon as possible.
How to Apply: The University is being assisted by Academic Search, Inc. Applications should consist of a substantive cover letter, a resume and a list of five professional references with full contact information. No references will be contacted without the explicit permission of the candidate. Applications, nominations and expressions of interest can be submitted electronically, and in confidence, to: CSUNVPIT@academicsearch.org.
The position is open until filled but only applications received by Thursday, February 24, 2022, can be assured full consideration. Additional information can be found in the profile at: https://academicsearch.org/open-searches-public/entry/9766/?search=9766. Confidential discussions about this opportunity may be arranged by contacting consultants Ann Die Hasselmo at Ann.Hasselmo@academicsearch.org and Chris Butler at Chris.Butler@academicsearch.org. Further information about California State University Northridge is available at http://csun.edu/.
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. To learn more visit our Matadors Forward site: https://www.csun.edu/matadors-forward/faculty-and-staff-fall-guidelines.
Background check: This position is a sensitive position as designated by the CSU. A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the status of candidates who apply for the position.
CANRA: The person holding this position will be considered a 'limited reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Conflict of Interest: This position is a "designated position" in the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. The successful candidate accepting this position is required to file Conflict of Interest forms subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission.
Equal Employment Opportunity: CSUN is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, and disability. Our nondiscrimination policy is set forth in CSU Executive Order 1096. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting Recruitment Services at 818-677-2101.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled
Los Angeles, California