The Position Workplaces across Portland, the United States and the world are making tough decisions about how to protect their employees and community from COVID-19. We, too, find ourselves in the middle of this complex situation at the City of Portland. We are committed to ensuring the health and safety for our employees and our community. As a part of this commitment, all City employees are required to be fully vaccinated, effective October 18, 2021. Proof of full vaccination, or documentation of plans to become fully vaccinated (e.g., partially vaccinated however too soon for second dose, etc.) will be required prior to being hired by the City of Portland. The required vaccination is a minimum qualification requirement to be hired by the City of Portland. We understand that some are unable to be vaccinated for a variety of reasons, including medical and religious/spiritual reasons. Should you be offered employment with the City of Portland, there is an exception process that provides for an exception and reasonable accommodation based on a qualified medical condition or religious/spiritual reason. Exception Request Process for COVID-19 vaccine ( Exceptions only apply to candidate(s) offered a position; please do not submit at this time) This is a Limited Duration position. Persons appointed to limited term positions will be designated as limited duration employees whose appointment shall not exceed two (2) years except for the extension of grants or funding from outside sources.
Portland Fire & Rescue (PF&R) is the largest all-hazards emergency services provider in the state of Oregon, serving the city of Portland and the regional metropolitan area. PF&R is recruiting full-time limited duration Community Health Medics to staff basic life support (BLS) medic units. Applicants hired as full-time limited duration employees will receive a generous and competitive benefits package, similar to benefits received by other employees which include: Health Insurance (medical, dental, and vision), Retirement credit (after 6 months), Personal Time Off, and more.
This is a great opportunity to gain valuable knowledge and familiarity of Portland Fire & Rescue. You will also gain experience that will be beneficial should you have a desire to gain regular employment in EMS and/or Fire services, including Portland Fire & Rescue.
The Community Health Medic is responsible for the pre-hospital care and treatment on low acuity calls within the City of Portland and will be assigned to either Community Health Assess & Treat (CHAT) units or Portland Street Response (PSR) units.Specific duties of the Community Health Medic include:
Knowledge, Skills and Qualifications
- Responds to medical calls and provides basic life support services
- Safely operates a vehicle to and from the scene
- Monitors a radio and operates communication equipment
- Provides medical care to the ill and injured within the scope of an EMT-B and in accordance with established policies, procedures, and protocols
- Obtains and records patients' vital signs and circumstances of the medical call
- Completes social and behavioral determinants of health survey's
- Maintains medical information in a confidential manner subject to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
- Participates in EMS training and public education activities
- Keeps abreast of and follows department rules, regulations, procedures, and other training and job-related material
- Works under supervision of a Critical Care Nurse
- Assumes responsibility for ensuring the duties of this position are performed in a safe, efficient manner
- Practices and maintains personal safety. Complies with safety requirements of the position and actively promotes safe work practices; safely operates a variety of vehicles and equipment
- Participates in voluntary and mandatory staffing callbacks and mandatory training
- Maintains a clean, professional appearance while maintaining a courteous, professional, and ethical behavior while working cooperatively with other members of the health care system, co-workers, and the public
- Practices only within the scope of duties approved by department-approved certification
- Reports all problems and unusual occurrences immediately to the Critical Care Nurse Manager
- Performs other related duties as assigned or as the situation requires.
- Oregon Vehicle Code
- EMS procedures and equipment
- EMT-B practices, procedures, and protocols
City of Portland Core Values: Anti-racism | Communication | Collaboration | Equity | Transparency | Fiscal Responsibility
- Previous EMT experience is highly desirable
- An Associate of Arts or Associate of Science Degree in a related field is desirable
- Bilingual abilities (speak, read and write) in languages spoken in the community highly desirable.
These values guide our actions as we serve the community and engage our workforce. To learn more about the City's core values, please click here.
Portland Fire & Rescue Strategic Plan:
PF&R Strategic Plan 2020-2023 outlines PF&R's mission, vision, values, priorities, and major projects from 2020 through 2023. To learn more about the Strategic Plan, please click here
. Why work at the City of Portland?
The City of Portland workforce serves a population of over 650,000. We are culture- and solutions-driven, viewing every challenge as an opportunity to learn, improve, and share our expertise. We are committed to removing systemic barriers to resources, access, and opportunity. The City is a believer in ALL
people and continues to actively recruit and retain diverse top talent every day. We offer a comprehensive benefits package
, including but not limited to medical, dental, vision, basic life, short- and long-term disability coverage to eligible employees and their families. If you are open-minded, motivated, community-focused, and self-aware, please apply yourself at the City of Portland today. To Qualify Applicants must specifically address and demonstrate in their supplemental question responses and resume how their education, training, and/or experience, meets each of the following minimum qualifications:
Applicants Must Also Possess:
- Ability to compassionately provide medical services and care to the community.
- Ability to communicate effectively with all community members.
- Ability to document medical care provided and accurately describe the situation encountered potential next steps.
The Recruitment Process
- Must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 per City/State mandate or have an approved exception by date of hire.
- Possess a High School diploma or General Educational Development (GED) equivalent.
- Current, valid Oregon driver's license, having been licensed for a minimum of two years, and insurable by the City's insurer.
- Oregon State Health Authority Emergency Medical Technician license.
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (CPR) certification for all EMT levels.
An evaluation of each applicant's training and experience, as demonstrated in your resume and responses to the supplemental questions weighted 100%. Do not attach materials not requested.
Only candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be placed on the equally ranked eligible list. You have 14 days from the notice of the examination results to let us know if you disagree with your results. Please read the City of Portland Administrative Rule 3.01 for complete information. Additional evaluation may be required prior to establishment of the eligible list and/or final selection. ** PLEASE NOTE : The eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies** Recruitment Timeline:
Application InstructionsApplicants must submit a professional resume and answer all supplemental questions, specifically focused on your qualifications for this position as identified in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement in accordance with the following Application Instructions:
- Posting: 11/22/21 to 1/31/2022
- Applications Reviewed: Continuously
- Eligible Lists: approximately on 12/14/21, 01/11/2022, and 02/01/2022
- Selection Phase Begins: Continuously
- Hire Date: Tentatively December 2021- thru March 2022
- *Timeline is approximate and subject to change
- Your résumé and answers to supplemental questions will be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position. Incomplete or inappropriate information may result in disqualification.
- Your supplemental question answers should include details describing your education, training and/or experience, and where obtained which clearly reflects your qualifications for each of the numbered items in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement.
- Your resume should support the details described in your answers to the supplemental questions.
- If you are requesting Veteran's Preference, as identified below, please describe in your responses to the supplemental questions and resume any transferrable skills obtained during your military service and how they relate to each of the required minimum qualifications under the "To Qualify" section above.
Additional Information Work Status:
- All completed applications for this position must be submitted no later than the closing date and time of this recruitment. E-mailed and/or faxed applications will not be accepted .
Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at the time of application. Veterans' Preference:
If you are requesting Veterans' Preference, attach a copy of your DD214/DD215 and/or Veterans Administration letter stating your disability to your profile, as well as checking the box identifying yourself as a Veteran. You must request Veterans' Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment to which you apply.
Veterans' Preference documentation must be submitted no later than 11:59 PM on the closing date of this recruitment. ADA, Pregnancy, and Religious Accommodations:
If you identify as a person with a disability, are pregnant or nursing, or observe a religious practice(s), and would like to request a reasonable accommodation when applying for this job, please contact the Recruiter below for assistance. Equal Employment Opportunity:
It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply.
Language Pay Differential: City of Portland employees who speak one or more languages in addition to English, may be eligible to receive a "language pay differential." This is compensation for qualifying multilingual City employees who use their language skill to assist the community. More about the language pay differential can be found here. Did you know?
The City of Portland offers How to Apply Classes that are free and review best practices for applying to the City. Follow the link for the most recent list of scheduled dates: www.bit.ly/howtoapplyclass
. Questions about the application process?
John DiGrazia, Senior Recruiter
Bureau of Human Resources John.DiGrazia@portlandoregon.gov
(503) 758-2030Closing Date/Time: 1/31/2022 11:59 PM Pacific