County of San Mateo's Parks Department is seeking a well-qualified individual for the position of Fiscal Office Specialist - Extra Help
Under general supervision, provides difficult, technical, complex, or specialized fiscal, financial, statistical, procurement, and accounting office support to the Administrative and Fiscal Services Unit within the San Mateo County Parks Department. The position will also assist in providing phone coverage for the Parks Department. DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS
The position is within the technical specialist level in the fiscal office support series. Positions in this class require a definable body of knowledge and skillset which exceed those required by lower-level fiscal office support workers. Responsibilities include the performance of complex, technical, or specialized fiscal and administrative office support work requiring the regular use of independent judgment and initiative. Leading in the direction of others is not a regular part of the job, although project or relief leadership may be required. This class is distinguished from Fiscal Office Services Supervisor in that the latter is the first full supervisory level over a large group of fiscal office support staff. This class is further distinguished from Lead Fiscal Office Assistant in that the latter assigns, directs, and reviews the work of other fiscal office support staff and performs advanced journey-level fiscal support work.
Examples of DutiesDuties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Perform difficult or complex administrative and financial office support work and assist with special projects as assigned.
- Review and reconcile varied contracts, reports, journals, budget, payroll, or related fiscal and statistical data.
- Audit and verify various information, including source data as well as manual and computer-produced reports.
- Create, develop, and maintain various subsidiary ledgers, forms, documents, auditing and reconciling reports and information and posting data as required; may generate general ledger entries.
- Research and assemble information from various sources for the completion of forms or the preparation of reports.
- Provide information to the public or County staff that requires judgment and the interpretation of policies, rules or procedures.
- Determine the number of bails , fines, fees, and other monies due to the County, interpreting and applying complex rules and regulations; ensure that receipts are balanced regularly.
- Perform various general office support work such as answering phones, organizing and maintaining files, typing correspondence, reports, forms, and technical documents, and proofreading and checking materials for accuracy, completeness, and compliance with departmental policies and regulations.
- Enter and retrieve data from an online or personal computer system and use such technology to produce reports; operate standard office equipment.
- Provide backup to other positions when necessary.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
This is an extra-help, at-will assignment, paid on an hourly basis. Some extra help positions are eligible for benefits under the Affordable Care Act. Extra help employees are not guaranteed permanent status at the end of the assignment.
Qualifications Education and Experience :
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to qualify is one year of journey level fiscal office support experience. Knowledge of :
Skill/Ability to :
- Fiscal document processing and record keeping, bookkeeping and basic governmental accounting principles and practices.
- Basic auditing principles and practices.
- Policies and procedures related to the department or functional area to which assigned.
- Office administrative practices and procedures, including filing and the operation of standard office equipment.
- Business data processing principles and the use of personal or on-line computers.
- Business arithmetic.
- Correct English usage and the standard format for typed materials.
- Train others in work procedures.
- Perform technical, specialized, complex or difficult fiscal office support work.
- Prepare, maintain and reconcile various fiscal, accounting, statistical and numerical records.
- Organize, prioritize and coordinate work activities.
- Read, interpret and apply rules, policies and procedures.
- Perform detailed fiscal office support work accurately.
- Operate standard office equipment including a calculator and computer terminal.
- Make accurate arithmetic calculations.
- Use initiative and sound independent judgment within established guidelines.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of the work.
- Type with sufficient skill to complete forms and enter information into a computer system.
If you are interested in being considered for this extra help position the following items must be submitted via e-mail:
- Cover letter with responses to Supplemental Questions (maximum of 2 pages)
- Describe your customer service experience. Include your overall customer service philosophy and any techniques you use to respond to unhappy customers or visitors?
- Describe your experience reviewing and reconciling fiscal, statistical, and/or accounting related data and information. Be clear, specific, and complete in your response.
- Describe your procurement related experience. This includes both the procurement of goods and services. Describe your experience working with contracts, including writing and monitoring contracts. Be specific.
- Describe your experience and knowledge working with Microsoft Word, Access, Excel, and/or any other programs and/or systems. What have you used them for and how would you rate your proficiency in each of these?
- Do you have the ability to speak, read, and write in a language other than English? If yes, which language(s)?
Please include the words "Fiscal Office Specialist - Extra Help Position
" in the subject line of email submission. All submitted materials must be in a Word or PDF format. Please submit the above listed materials via email to:
Application materials will be reviewed as they are received, and well-qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview. Apply immediately. Application materials will be accepted until position is filled. This posting is open on a continuous basis and selection may be made at any time within the process. NOTE
: Application materials are only accepted via e-mail. Materials sent via regular mail and/or fax will not be accepted. Submittals that do not include all required elements (cover letter with responses to supplemental questions and a resume) will not be considered.
The County of San Mateo requires that all employees provide proof of COVID-19 vaccine or comply with weekly COVID-19 testing. Employees hired into specified health care facilities and other high-risk settings where there is potential for frequent COVID-19 exposure to staff and highly vulnerable patients are required to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination. For more specific information, please refer to the County's COVID-19 Vaccine and Testing Policy
. The County of San Mateo is a diverse, inclusive workplace, where employees are valued and respected for their different perspectives, experiences, backgrounds, and contributions. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.