OVERVIEW Kitsap County Parks has an exciting opportunity awaiting a communications/marketing professional! The ideal candidate will have a proven experience creating strategic communication outreach through social media, print and other venues! Being a professional and having the ability to collaborate and think outside the box is a must!!! Position Summary
Under direction of the Program Supervisor the incumbent will plan, promote, and implement departmental marketing efforts including branding, advertising, and promotion. Create and manage opportunities to define marketing strategies to meet agency priorities, mission, and goals. Establish working relationships with department and county staff to ensure successful implementation of comprehensive initiatives. Coordinate the production of departmental marketing activities, communications, and public relations efforts. QUALIFICATIONS FOR PERFORMANCE OF THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
PREFERRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, OR QUALIFICATIONS:
- Associates degree in communications, marketing or related field; and
- Four years of experience in strategic communication/marketing outreach performing communications, public relations, social media marketing, and website content; and
- Any equivalent combination of experience and education that provides the applicant with the desired knowledge, skills and ability required to perform the work.
- Bachelors Degree in communications, marketing or related field.
- Experience working in a government agency in parks and recreation.
Criminal Conviction Standards:
- The successful incumbent must meet the driving requirements of this position and submit a copy a current driving record/abstract (from state of residency) to review for eligibility to drive for Kitsap County prior to employment. The successful incumbent must obtain a valid Washington State Driver's License prior to hire and maintain a satisfactory driving record as outlined in the Kitsap County Vehicle Use Policy. This position is categorized as:
- Category 1 Driver: operates County-owned vehicle, and
- Category 2: Driver may operate a personal vehicle as an essential function for official County business. Any employee using a personal vehicle on official County business shall be required to maintain auto liability insurance, in addition to having a valid driver's license.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- The successful incumbent will or may have unsupervised access to children under 18 years of age, a vulnerable adult, or a vulnerable person, or access to a secured/confidential facility or computer system(s). As a result, Kitsap County will be conducting an extensive criminal background check by law enforcement agencies, which may include fingerprinting.
- Please review the following list of disqualifying crimes and negative actions to determine if you meet our standard for this position: https://www.dshs.wa.gov/sites/default/files/FSA/bccu/documents/Secretary%27sCrimesListforALLPrograms.pdf
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT
- Solid organization and prioritization skills
- Strong interpersonal and team player skills
- Ability to multitask and remain calm in stressful situations.
- Adaptable and able to learn new skills and tasks efficiently
- Open to constructive feedback
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Social Marketing Knowledge
- Strong understanding of marketing concepts and their application in a government environment
- Understanding of software applications used in communicating messages with the public (i.e. Microsoft software suite, desktop graphic design software, social media platforms, GovDelivery, Cognito, etc.)
- Ability to effectively communicate technical information in plain language
- Develop engaging campaigns and programs
- Strong knowledge and understanding of market research concepts and tools
- Ability to analyze data and develop conclusions for program development.
- Appear for scheduled work with regular, reliable, and punctual attendance. Communicate Effectively, orally and in writing.
- Physically perform the essential functions of the position.
(The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Kitsap County provides reasonable accommodation to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLE OF DUTIES
- The duties in this position are performed in an office setting and may have some work in the field, and may be required to lift at least 20 pounds.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to:
OTHER POSITION RELATED INFORMATION
- Develop and implement Parks Department communication, branding, marketing material and plans for programs such as: Special events, Natural resources and Parks Operations.
- As communications liaison for the Parks Department, represent the County and Department and community groups, partners, the public, governments, and other departments.
- Develop, implement, and coordinate Parks Department communications and outreach projects. Projects may include marketing campaigns, data collection, capital projects, and community events. Responsibilities may include coordinating stakeholders and contractors, delivering training, developing outreach materials, project delivery, and evaluation.
- Lead stakeholders (program managers, outreach staff, graphic designers, public communications manager, consultants, partners, and audiences) in developing program and project outreach materials including press releases, printed education, advertising, web content, signs, online applications, forms, and video. Responsibilities include audience research, writing, overseeing design, coordinating print vendors, and evaluation.
- Create, maintain, optimize, and evaluate public-facing online content as the website and social media specialist for the Parks Department. Content includes webpages, databases, social media, search engines, video, and applications. Responsibilities include audience and technical research, coordinating stakeholders, designers, and technical experts, quality control, and writing. Also advise as web content and social media subject matter expert for Parks Department. Develop and maintain information management systems to evaluate, control, and document program deliverables and success. Projects include public-facing applications and databases and internal databases. Responsibilities include research, coordinating technical experts, data quality control, data analysis, and reporting.
- Collaborate on projects within the county, outside agencies and with community partnerships.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Who May Apply: This position is open to the general public. Applications will be screened for qualifications and completion of all the required materials and forms. The most competitive applicants may be contacted for further steps in the selection process, which may include testing for office and computer skills.
- This position is classified as exempt from overtime under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
- This position is non-represented and covered under the Kitsap County Personnel Manual. Internal applicants should be aware that a change in union status or bargaining unit may impact your benefits and accruals. Please contact Human Resources if you have questions.
- Kitsap County is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please contact our Human Resources Office.
- This recruitment is being used to fill an existing open position, and may be used to fill future (part and full time) openings for up to six (6) months.
- Work hours for this position are Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.Flexible hours are available, as approved by management.