Recruitment Number VA1535
Posting Period Open Until Filled (Review of Applications will begin 11/30/21. Applications received after that date may be considered.)
On Campus Only No
Working Title NETWORK ANALYST (Network Analyst)
Class Title NETWORK ANALYST -12
Salary Range (From $ to $) $4,372 - $10,792 per month / $52,464 - $129,504 annually (New employees should anticipate being hired at the beginning of the salary range)
Department Network Operations
Number of Positions 1
FLSA Code Non-Exempt
Status Regular: Permanent (after one-year probationary period)
Pay Plan 12/12
CBU/MOU R09 - CSUEU Technical & Support Services
Quick Link https://jobs.csuchico.edu/postings/6951
Hours Per Day 8 hours during the school year / 10 hours during the summer
Days Per Week 5 days during the school year / 4 days during the summer
Incumbent, under the general direction of the Network Manager, is responsible for planning, design, documentation, installation, ongoing analysis, and control of the campus voice and data network infrastructure. Work includes researching "best of breed" technologies for expansion of the networks to meet academic and administrative program needs and the needs of campus users. Incumbent is responsible for coordination and documentation of assigned projects within Network Operations.
The incumbent is expected to act as the campus specialist for wireless networks and supporting systems. In this role, the incumbent will be responsible for the overall design, evolution, maintenance and repair of wireless radio equipment, controllers, and authentication / authorization / accounting systems. The incumbent will act as the lead liaison between the campus and manufacturers, vendors, and consultants regarding wireless network technologies and services.
For a full description of job duties, please visit: https://csuchico.box.com/v/VA1535-Position-Description
As of September 30, 2021, the CSU requires all faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or have received a medical or religious exemption. Selected candidates should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/. Questions can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org (staff and management positions) or email@example.com (faculty positions).
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Incumbent must possess:
Demonstrated knowledge of:
• Network architecture, configuration, protocols, and interconnectivity.
• Network communications system management.
• Industry design trends.
• Interpreting system usage data and developing engineering specifications to support changing network requirements.
• Broad standards, protocols, and technical specifications (e.g., RADIUS, 802.1x, PKI, 802.11, etc.).
• Network architecture, configuration, protocols, and interconnectivity.
• System utilities, features, maintenance procedures, and general operation.
• Fundamental knowledge of communication systems, databases, and systems support.
• Clear basic understanding of network topologies, protocols, and communication theory.
• Strong written, visual, and verbal communication skills.
• Demonstrated critical thinking skills, such as problem solving, reasoning, and creative thinking.
• Organizational and time management skills.
Incumbent must be able to:
• Interpret and apply broad standards, protocols, and technical specifications (e.g., RADIUS, 802.1x, PKI, 802.11, etc.).
• Interpret data on system usage and develop engineering specifications to support changing network requirements.
• Interpret and apply broad regulatory standards and technical specifications.
• Monitor and manage vendor relationships to ensure responsiveness.
• Interpret and apply telecommunications and high-speed data communications standards.
• Translate user-defined requirements into communications specifications and features.
• Perform system and database maintenance tasks.
• Communicate effectively with outside vendors and campus users.
• Design clear, detailed network diagrams.
• Effectively communicate with non-technical staff regarding technical issues.
• Develop detailed project plans and cost estimates.
• Track tasks, costs, and potential roadblocks to ensure project timelines.
• Ensure the privacy of user data, network security provisions, and other confidential or sensitive information.
• Inform the Network Manager immediately regarding any discovered or suspected security vulnerabilities.
• Perform assigned duties.
Required Education and/or Experience
Requires the equivalent to a bachelor's degree in information technology, computer science, educational technology, communications or a related field.
Two years of relevant experience performing related such as, network communications, system management and application project support.
A combination of education and experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the essential functions of the position.
Additional Requirements for this Position
Part time telework may be available for this position.
Preference may be given to applicants with the following as they may be considered specialized skills:
• Experience working with wireless networks and associated support infrastructure is preferred, particularly with Aruba Networks systems.
• Experience with RF design is preferred.
• Experience with licensed-band point-to-point microwave networking systems is also preferred.
• California State University, Chico, in accordance with CSU policy, requires that the successful candidate complete a background check (including a criminal records check, sexual offender registry check, and/or fingerprinting) prior to assuming this position. Failure to satisfactorily complete or pass the background check may impact the job offer or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for posted positions identified as sensitive. This position is considered a sensitive position based on CSU guidelines. Incumbent is responsible for the safety and security of Level 1 data, sometimes also referred to as Level 1 protected data. This is confidential information that is in most cases protected by statutes, regulations, or other legal mandates.
• Throughout employment in this position incumbent must maintain a valid California Driver's License as well as continued completion and compliance of the CSU Defensive Driver's Training course.
• The selected candidate must pass a post-offer pre-employment physical examination.
Incumbent/applicant will need to be able to perform the essential job functions (duties) of this position with or without reasonable accommodation. This position alternates between remaining in a stationary position operating a personal computer for long periods of time and frequently moving about inside the office. Must be able to identify and distinguish colors. Must be able to travel across campus to other offices and buildings for meetings and events. Occasional heavy lifting for equipment installations (up to 50 pounds).
Office environment with work performed in campus buildings and equipment rooms. Will be required to travel between campus offices to perform duties.
This position qualifies for benefits including tuition fee waiver (if eligible).
CSU, Chico offers a number of benefits to its employees (e.g., sick leave, vacation, health insurance). Eligibility for standard CSU benefits is based on an appointment of half-time or more for a period exceeding six months. Employees appointed less than half-time or less than six months are not eligible for standard CSU benefits but do receive prorated sick leave and vacation.
Eligibility for Affordable Care Act (ACA) benefits is based on an appointment of at least three-quarter time, hired to work a minimum of 130 hours per month over the course of the appointment or works an average of 130 hours or more per month during the measurement period. The ACA guidelines provide for health coverage or FlexCash only. ACA does not provide dental or vision plan coverage.
About the University and Community
California State University (CSU), Chico is a comprehensive and residential public University, holding Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI) designation and operating as part of the 23-campus CSU system. The University enrolls over 17,000 students from diverse cultural, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds, with over half identifying as first-generation college students. Graduate and undergraduate programs boast high-quality research experiences, exceptional faculty mentoring, and civic and global engagement opportunities. The campus motto, "Today Decides Tomorrow," is brought to life by inclusive pedagogy, experiential learning, and co-curricular programming. The Chico Experience prepares students to be critical thinkers, engaged citizens, and inspired stewards of environmental, social, and economic resources. Together, they will become leaders solving the challenges of the 21st century.
The campus is located in Northern California, 90 minutes from the state capital, Sacramento, and a three-hour drive from San Francisco Bay Area. A safe residential community, Chico offers year-round natural beauty, outdoor leisure activities, and a thriving arts, music, and events scene. We acknowledge and are mindful that CSU, Chico stands on lands that were originally occupied by the first people of this area, the Mechoopda, and we recognize their distinctive spiritual relationship with this land and the waters that run through campus.
CSU, Chico is committed to recruiting outstanding candidates who reflect the diverse, intercultural, and intersectional identities of our student body. The ideal candidate will embrace our values predicated on the primacy of student success and the elimination of achievement gaps, have demonstrated experience working with diverse populations, and will contribute to policies, programs, and activities that support an inclusive, accessible, and equitable learning and working environment.
The University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, color, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, National origin, sex, sexual orientation, covered veteran status, or any other protected status.
Open Date (posting open date) 11/15/2021
Close Date (posting close date)
Open Until Filled Yes
2. Cover Letter
1. Optional Applicant Documents
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled