Under general supervision, the Distribution/Collection Tech Trainee I is an entry-level position responsible for assisting in the maintenance and repair of the City’s Water/wastewater system.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge, and skills. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions, but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:Knowledge:
- Assists in the repair and maintenance of water & wastewater mains, service lines, fire hydrants, water meters, valves, manholes and water/wastewater service lines;
- Provides assistance to technicians and crew leaders and needed.
- Performs manual labor in the repair of water and wastewater lines.
- Checks engines, generators, pumps, settling tanks, filters, chemical feed systems, and other equipment.
- Monitors and performs housekeeping duties to insure a safe working environment.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships and public relations.
- May train and mentor other new employees.
- Participates in various special projects.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Ensures adherence to safety procedures and programs.
- Supports the relationship between the City of Galveston and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with citizens, visitors, and City staff; maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and City information; performs other duties as required or assigned.
- Employees may at any time be required to work in order to provide for the safety and well-being of the general public, including the delivery and restoration of vital services, in the event of an emergency.
- City organization, operations, policies, and procedures.
- Wastewater treatment principles, methods and practices.
- Methods, techniques and equipment used in wastewater treatment.
- Local, state and federal laws, codes, regulations and permits affecting wastewater treatment operations.
- Recordkeeping and reporting procedures.
- Safety rules and regulations.
- Business and personal computers, and spreadsheet software applications.
- Handling situations requiring diplomacy, fairness, firmness and sound judgment.
- Understanding and applying City policies and procedures.
- Compiling data; maintaining records and files; and preparing clear and concise reports.
- Providing efficient customer service.
- Establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with all levels within the City.
- Communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
High School diploma or equivalent; AND one year of experience in maintenance and repair operations required. Ability to obtain a Distribution D License and a Collections I License within 2 years of employment. A valid Texas Driver’s License is required.LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION:
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
- Ability to obtain a Distribution D license within 2 years of employment
- Ability to obtain a Collections I license within 2 years of employment
Work is performed both in an indoor and outdoor work environment. May be exposed to dangerous machinery, extreme weather conditions, potential physical harm, hazardous chemicals and infectious diseases. May be required to climb ladders. May be required to lift and carry items weighing up to 100 pounds.
Closing Date/Time: July 29, 2022 at 11:59 PM CST