OVERVIEWMake a difference in your community.Become a part of the Kitsap County team!Do what you love while serving the citizens where you live.Kitsap County Sheriff's Office seeks full-time and part-time Court Security Officers to join our team!
This posting will be used to fill a current full-time and part-time opening and will also be used create a register for future positions.
Court Security Officers are responsible for patrolling and ensuring the security of the Kitsap County Courthouse and other court facility locations, such as the Juvenile Detention Facility.
The Kitsap County Sheriff's Office is committed to providing quality public safety services in partnership with our diverse communities.Teamwork, Integrity, ProfessionalismMission:
Through our vision and values, we are dedicated to providing quality public safety services in partnership with our diverse communities.Vision:
To be recognized as a respected and trusted Sheriff's Office while making Kitsap County a safer place to live, work, and visit.
This position is governed by the Sheriff's Office policies and directives, and works under the direct supervision of Sheriff's Office supervisory staff. Our new team member will have knowledge of the laws, rules, and regulations governing security operations, to include search and seizure. Must have solid investigative techniques and the knowledge and ability to follow safe weapons handling practices and procedures. The incumbent must be able to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with a diverse public and with all levels within the County. QUALIFICATIONS FOR PERFORMANCE OF THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS Required Education and Experience
Preferred Education, Experience or Other Qualifications
- Two years experience in investigative, law enforcement, criminology or a related field that displays the ability to perform the essential job functions
- Education can be substituted for only one year of experience.
- The ability to obtain and maintain a Sheriff's Office limited commission is required
Required Licenses, Certificates, Examinations/Tests and Other Requirements Please note
- Completion of a federal or state police academy, reserve academy or corrections academy.
- Experience working with the public in a security setting.
- Experience monitoring systems, monitoring assigned security areas, and responding to unusual occurrences.
- Proven experience and certification with a firearm (ability to qualify with a weapon)
: The incumbent is responsible for obtaining and maintaining all of the following required licenses, certifications and other requirements.
Prior to employment, the successful candidate must:
- Submit official transcripts from an accredited college or university if education is being used to meet the minimum qualifications.
- Pass a comprehensive background investigation/criminal background check through law enforcement agencies.
- Pass all job-related examinations/tests necessary to demonstrate required knowledge, skills and abilities, in a multi-phase testing process as determined by the hiring authority at time of job posting. These tests may include, but are not limited to, oral interviews, medical examination, truth verification test, psychological evaluation and weapons qualification with passing scores set by Kitsap County Sheriff's Office.
At time of appointment, the successful candidate must:
- Be able to obtain and maintain a valid and current Sheriff's Office limited commission as provided by the current Sheriff.
Within six months of employment, the successful candidate must:
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT
- Possess CPR, First Aid and AED certification.
(The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Kitsap County provides reasonable accommodation to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
Work is performed both in an office environment and around the Kitsap County Courthouse or other court facility locations. Incumbents must be able to travel to other locations to assist as needed. Positions in this class typically require :
- Walking and standing for extended periods of time.
- Ability to climb, twist, stoop, bend, and reach (over shoulders, at waist and below waist), grasp, and occasionally run or climb/descend stairs in response to emergency conditions.
- Exposure to potentially hazardous conditions associated with dealing with hostile individuals in volatile and dangerous situations will require sufficient strength and flexibility to physically apprehend or subdue a person or to confiscate forbidden articles or weapons.
- Substantial in-person contact with the public and law enforcement agencies require that the incumbent have the ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to carry a firearm in the performance of assigned duties and to pass weapons qualification with a passing score set by the Kitsap County Sheriff's Office.
- Hearing adequate to communicate on the telephone and in person and to hear and understand radio communications and audible alarms.
- Exertion of force up to 50 pounds intermittently, 35 pounds occasionally and/or 10 pounds frequently to lift/carry/move objects, files, and other materials.
Incumbents may be:
ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLE OF DUTIES
- Exposed to potential hazards associated with all weather conditions.
- Exposed to hostile individuals in volatile and dangerous situations which require sufficient strength and flexibility to physically subdue or apprehend violators of infractions.
- Required to confiscate forbidden articles and weapons.
In this role, you will have opportunity to:
OTHER POSITION RELATED INFORMATION
- Greet visitors at the Kitsap County Courthouse, or other assigned location, and ensure visitors pass through screening.
- Patrol assigned location, watching for irregularities such as fire hazards, vandalism, property damage, loiterers, and/or persons engaged in criminal acts.
- Monitor surveillance system and respond to unusual occurrences.
- Enter data into a security log, including visual occurrences, suspicious visitors, and other information collected from campus inspections and visitor entry.
- Warn violators of infractions for possession of forbidden articles or rule violations.
- Provide for temporary storage of legal weapons.
- Expel persons engaging in suspicious or criminal activities.
- Who May Apply: This position is open to the general public. Applications will be screened for qualifications and completion of all the required materials and forms. The most competitive applicants may be contacted for further steps in the selection process, which may include testing for office and computer skills.
- This position is classified as eligible for overtime under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
- This position is covered under a collective bargaining agreement with AFSCME 1308 and the Kitsap County Personnel Manual ( https://www.kitsapgov.com/hr/Pages/Personnel-Manual-2019.aspx ) Membership in the union is optional.
- Internal applicants should be aware that a change in union status or bargaining unit may impact your benefits and accruals. Please contact Human Resources if you have questions.
- Employees must wear the office issued uniform for Court Security Officers.
- This posting will be used to fill a current opening and to create a register for future openings.
This position is being posted to fill a part-time opening and to create a new hiring register for future part-time and full-time openings in the Kitsap County Sheriff's Office. In order to qualify for a position on the hiring register, you are required to successfully pass the following requirements: Review of qualifications and oral board interviews. An applicant must successfully pass each examination requirement before being able to proceed to the next process.
- APPLICATION REVIEW: Civil Service representatives will review applications to ensure candidates meet the minimum qualifications. Applications will then be reviewed for the preferred education, experience, and certifications to rank order the top candidates to move to the interview phase.
- ORAL BOARD INTERVIEWS : The oral board interview score reflect 100% of the applicants overall score for register placement. This posting is open continuously. Applications will be reviewed on a weekly basis.
- HIRING REGISTER : When an applicant on the hiring register is offered permanent employment it is contingent upon the applicant successfully passing a truth verification test, psychological and a complete reference and background investigation, executive board interview and any other process deemed necessary (which may include medical and drug testing) by the Sheriff's Office. Any conviction record may be disqualifying. The term of the hiring register shall normally be for six (6) months and in no event longer than two (2) years.
Kitsap County is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please contact our Human Resources Office.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous