In addition to performance-based merit increases, this position is scheduled to receive salary range increases on the following dates:
Effective July 1, 2022 - 3.50% increase
Salary may be negotiable within the range listed above, based on position requirements and successful candidate's qualifications, subject to appropriate authorization.OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
This recruitment is open to the public
and is being held to establish an Eligible List to fill current and/or future vacancies within OC Waste & Recycling.DEADLINE TO APPLY
This recruitment is open to the public and will remain open on a continuous basis until the needs of the Department are met.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply immediately. THE COUNTY
The County of Orange is a regional service provider and planning agency whose core businesses include public safety, public health, environmental protection, regional planning, public assistance, social services and aviation. Click here
for more information.OC WASTE & RECYCLINGOC Waste & Recycling
(OCWR) is an organization dedicated to providing waste management services, protecting the environment, and promoting recycling in order to ensure a safe and healthy community for current and future generations. OCWR operates three active regional landfills, four household hazardous waste collection centers, monitors 20 closed landfills, and administers municipal solid waste collection, recycling and planning for County unincorporated areas. OCWR is a nationally renowned waste management department responsible for a network of sanitary landfills. The Department is committed to its exceptional record of regulatory compliance and excellence.
OCWR is seeking individuals who are enthusiastic and highly motivated; display initiative and positive attitude; communicate professionally and work cooperatively with co-workers, supervisors, contractors and the public; and promote awareness of safety in self. Landfill Laborers perform routine unskilled heavy manual laboring work as a member of a crew. The job duties include, but are not limited to:
- Vegetation control or litter pick-up activities, such as, hoeing and cutting weeds; cleaning debris from ditches, culverts, drains and channels and other drainage structures;
- Safely using hand tools to remove debris with a leaf blower;
- Installing chain link and wire fences and guard rails;
- Assisting with spreading and compacting asphalt, setting forms, and mixing, wheeling and pouring concrete;
- Laying down straw matting, netting, place gravel bags and flumes;
- Installing culverts, fences, road signs and guard rails;
- Working on the traffic paint crew, moving stencils, and picking up warning cones and signs;
- Directing traffic in unloading areas and around job locations; and
- Other duties as assigned.
Landfill Laborers are expected to perform the above-mentioned duties at one of the County's three active Regional Landfills located in Brea, Irvine, and San Juan Capistrano or at a closed landfill assigned to one of the regions.DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS AND CORE COMPETENCIES
In addition to the minimum qualifications, the ideal candidate will demonstrate the related experience and knowledge required for this position and possess the following competencies:Technical Expertise
- Knowledge and ability to operate hand tools including shovel, rake, broom, hammer, handsaw, pruner, screwdriver, axe, cherry picker, plier, pitchfork, wire cutter, weed eater, and wrench.
- Ability to read measurements using a ruler or tape measure.
- Knowledge and ability to operate power tools including hedge pruner, pole pruner, pole saw, chain saw, leaf blower, generator, cement mixer and paint sprayer.
Interpersonal Skills (Teamwork / Customer Service)
- Ensures safe work practices associated with the appropriate use of tools and equipment.
- Use of appropriate Personnel Protective Equipment (PPE) such as safety glasses/goggles, gloves, vest, and hard hats and task specific PPE.
- Knowledge of traffic safety regulations, and work site safety.
Environmental and Working Conditions
- Ability to work in a team environment and provide assistance to others when needed.
- Display a positive attitude and maintain effective working relationships.
- Express disagreement constructively and works with others to achieve a common goal.
- Ability to communicate effectively with customers verbally and presents a positive and professional demeanor.
Work in various landfill structures, and work outdoors amid loud noise and fumes in all weather conditions. Work with cleaning supplies and other chemicals. Interact with landfill customers. Exposure to municipal solid waste, dust, pollen, birds, odors, noise, vibration, etc.REQUIRED LICENSE
Possession of, or the ability to obtain and maintain a valid California Driver License, Class C or higher, by the date of appointment is required.MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
for more information on minimum qualifications for the Landfill Laborer classification.RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Human Resource Services (HRS) will screen all application materials for minimum and desirable qualifications. After screening, candidates who meet the qualifications will be referred to the next step in the recruitment process. All candidates will be notified via email of their status in the process. Online Proctored Examination | Multiple Choice Test (Weighted 100%):
A skills assessment will be conducted to evaluate the applicant's knowledge and experience as it relates to the job, as well as their interpersonal skills including their ability to follow written instructions, customer service, and ability to build and maintain effective working relationships. Only the most successful candidates will be placed on the eligible list. Based on the Department's needs, the recruitment procedures listed above may be modified. Candidates will be notified of any changes in the recruitment procedures. Eligible List
Once the assessment has been completed; HRS will establish an eligible list of candidates. Candidates placed on the eligible list may be referred to a selection interview to be considered for present and future vacancies.Veterans Employment Preference
The County is committed to providing a mechanism to give preferential consideration in the employment process to veterans and their eligible spouses and will provide eligible participants the opportunity to receive interviews in the selection process for employment and paid internship openings. Please click here
to review the policy.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION Please see below for important information regarding COVID-19 related requirements.
The COVID-19 pandemic continues to evolve, and laws, regulations, and policies regarding COVID-19 are subject to change. The County of Orange is required to comply with all applicable State or County Public Health Orders, some of which require vaccination or testing as follows:
- Workers, who provide services in certain Medical or High-Risk Settings, will be required to provide proof of full vaccination from COVID-19 or to wear a mask and undergo weekly COVID-19 testing .
- Workers, who provide services in certain Health Care Facilities or in a correctional facility or detention center where health care is provided, will be required to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated and boosted . (Workers may be exempt from this requirement based on religious beliefs or a qualifying medical reason; however, if exempted, they will be required to wear a mask and undergo weekly COVID-19 testing.)
The position for which you are applying may be required to adhere to any applicable State or County Public Health Orders. You will receive notification of any requirement as it applies to a position.EMAIL NOTIFICATION Email
is the primary form of notification during the recruitment process. Please ensure your correct email address is included in our application and use only one email account.NOTE: User accounts are established for one person only and should not be shared with another person. Multiple applications with multiple users may jeopardize your status in the recruitment process for any positions for which you apply.
Candidates will be notified regarding their status as the recruitment proceeds via email through the GovernmentJobs.com site. Please check your email folders, including spam/junk folders, and/or accept emails ending with "governmentjobs.com," "ocgov.com," and "ocwr.ocgov.com" If your email address should change, please update your profile at www.governmentjobs.com
.FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
for additional Frequently Asked Questions. For specific information pertaining to this recruitment please contact Leslie Catalan at email@example.com
or by phone at 714-834-2988.
Orange County, as an equal employment opportunity employer, encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.