Culver City is a Charter City incorporated in 1917, and is a destination filled with outdoor cafes, unique shops and galleries opening onto pedestrian-friendly boulevards. Culver City has a dedicated staff of approximately 700+ employees with an overall operating budget of over $235 million. The City provides a full range of municipal services including Fire, Police, Community Development, Public Works, Parks, Recreation, and Community Services, and Transportation.
The Police Department has a complement of just over 100 sworn and 48 civilian personnel serving a residential population of 40,000 and an estimated daily commercial population of over 200,000. THE POSITION
The City of Culver City is seeking qualified women and men who are presently peace officers or have been employed as peace officers within the last twelve (12) months. The City provides an ideal opportunity for career officers.
Performs general law enforcement including criminal investigation and crime prevention duties, patrolling the City on foot or by vehicle, serving as station officer and performing other related duties. Possible assignments include: Motors, K-9, Crime-impact teams, Field Training Officer, Detectives, School Resource Officer, and Bicycle patrol.
***The City offers a competitive salary and benefits package***
- High School graduation or equivalent.
- Must be a citizen of the United States or a permanent resident alien who is eligible for and has applied for citizenship.
- Possession of a valid California Class "C" driver license is required at time of appointment (hire).
- Graduation from a California Police Academy recognized by POST.
- Possession of basic POST Certificate (Copy of POST Certificate should be submitted with the application).
- Must have been employed as a full-time sworn peace officer within twelve (12) months prior to application filing deadline date.
- A felony conviction is disqualifying.
A top step police officer in possession of an Advanced POST Certificate can earn up to $122,340.84. Please click on the 'Benefits' tab to view additional information regarding Compensation, Benefits and Assignments. EXAMINATION PROCEDURES
Applicants must receive a passing score on all examination components in order to be placed on the eligible list. Refer below to view the examination components and test schedule.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATIONThe provisions of this job posting do not constitute a contract, express or implied, and any provisions in this posting may be modified or revoked without notice.
- Physical Agility (Qualifying): Timed event measuring ability to perform the physical activities required of a Police Officer (Tentatively scheduled for the week of December 13, 2021).
- Oral Appraisal Interview (Weighted at 100%): To evaluate training, experience and personal qualifications (Tentatively scheduled for the week of January 24, 2021).
- Polygraph, Background Investigation (Qualifying): To determine suitability for the position of peace officer.
- Psychological Screening & Medical Examination (Qualifying): Standard medical exam with a vision requirement of 20/100 or better without correction and 20/20 or better with correction - each eye.
Continuation in the examination process and subsequent placement on the eligible list of a person convicted of a crime depends upon the nature of the conviction and the conduct of the applicant subsequent to the offense. Convictions will be evaluated on a job related basis and will not automatically disqualify someone from further consideration.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Culver City is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against employees or applicants on the basis of race, sex, age, disability, veteran status, national origin, religion, political affiliation, or sexual orientation/identification.
Conditions of Employment:
- Background/ Reference Check: Upon a conditional job offer, a live scan finger printing must be completed with acceptable results. Your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI). Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with the City. If you are selected as a finalist, you will be contacted to schedule a fingerprinting appointment. Upon hire, employee is subject to further reporting from DOJ via subsequent arrest notification.
- Pre-placement medical evaluation including drug screen (select positions).
- Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination (all positions).
- E-Verify: Proof of U.S. citizenship, alien residency or authorization to work in the U.S. will be required at time of appointment.