Reporting to the Director of Resources and Operations in the College of Social Sciences and receiving work lead direction from the Dean of Social Sciences, the Executive Assistant (EA) to the Dean and Communications Lead enhances the dean's effectiveness by managing internal and external communications and representing the dean to a diverse community of stakeholders. The Executive Assistant performs duties independently to achieve specified outcomes. This position manages all communications to and from the dean's office and provides programmatic and administrative support for the dean, including support for planning and scheduling meetings, conferences, small to medium size events, travel, the Council of Chairs, faculty recruitment, special programs with alumni, corporate and private donors, and various college promotional activities. The EA provides information management support by drafting documents and memos, preparing reports and presentations, and remaining current on relevant University and CSU policies and procedures. The Executive Assistant and Communications Lead must work collaboratively and effectively to establish and maintain working relationships within a diverse environment and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.Key Responsibilities
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Provide day-to-day administrative support for Dean & support for committees & task forces chaired by the Dean and the Dean's delegates.
- Serve as the Dean's primary point of contact and follow-up with appropriate parties on behalf of the Dean to ensure deadlines are met.
- Coordinate and direct all traffic into Dean's office or contacts with Dean; identify and prioritize requests.
- Follow directives from Dean and other campus leadership in exceptional (emergency) situations (i.e., medical administration, facilities, operational).
- Serve as college's primary safety officer including attendance at safety meetings, managing emergency response communications, and directing other staff (i.e., fire drills, recruiting Building Emergency Team members).
- Intake and track all documents that require review and approval by the Dean; ensure completeness of documents requiring Dean's approval or signature.
- Leads special project assignments and research projects for the dean including researching and reporting on college student statistics and writing reports for VIP college endowment donors and other University offices, as needed.
- Support the Dean's Office in researching and analyzing institutional policies to ensure compliance with CSU, SJSU, and college election policies.
- Manages the processes for: department chair elections and reviews; tenure track faculty recruitment and appointments, faculty reassignments; and college representatives on university committee elections.
- Responsible for planning, designing, promoting, implementing and managing small to medium scale events for the college's internal and external constituents for events such as: naming and stewardship events, all college welcome back meetings, corporate and peer institution visits, SJSU deans and ADs lunches, RTP faculty lunch, council of chairs meetings, and dean's meetings with students, all college faculty and staff meetings, and other events as assigned.
- Prepares agendas, secures facilities and catering, manages budgets and expenditures.
- Support the dean as CoSS liaison with University Advancement on SJSU wide media and storytelling campaigns.
- Maintains College events and deadlines calendar and supports promotion of events via University events calendar.
- Manage Dean's Office social media accounts (i.e., Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram).
- Coordinate a regularly scheduled electronic newsletters for faculty, staff, and students.
- Maintains effective working relationship with the dean to understand and carry out directives independently.
- Composes timely, accurate and appropriately formatted correspondence and reports.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills to work with both internal and external constituencies in preparing correspondence, emails, and presentations.
- Customer service and public relations skills.
- Ability to work well and be responsive to a diverse range of stakeholders including students, faculty, staff, community partners, alumni, and donors.
- Ability to take initiative and independently plan, organize, coordinate, and perform work in various situations where numerous and diverse demands are involved.
- Knowledge of research, development and evaluation of policies and programs, including skill in the collections, evaluation, and interpretation of data to develop sound conclusions and make appropriate recommendations.
- Ability to investigate and analyze problems with a broad administrative impact and implication.
- Advanced knowledge in Microsoft Office suite software programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Strong organizational skills
- A bachelor's degree and/or equivalent training
- Two years of administrative work experience involving study, analysis, and/or evaluation leading to the development or improvement of administrative policies, procedures, practices, or programs
- Experience providing high level administrative support
- Excellent technical office skills -develop presentation materials, create & analyze spreadsheets, merge data, and calendaring
- Experience preparing written and electronic correspondence for media, newsletters, websites, and social media
- Project management skills - oversee complex projects and events
- Supervisory experience - lead and oversee work of others
- Excellent written communication skills
- Experience with working diverse populations
Classification: Administrative Analyst/Specialist - Exempt I
Anticipated Hiring Range: $5,200/month - $5,600/month
Salary Range: $3,897/month - $7,051/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: November 15, 2021 through November 30, 2021
. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.Contact Information
408-924-2252CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as a condition of employment. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/
and questions may be sent to email@example.com
. Additional Information
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled