Performs semi-skilled manual work in various departments which requires some previous experience and special knowledge acquired on the job.
EXAMPLES OF JOB FUNCTIONS
- Work performed varies with department to which assigned.
- May supervise small labor crew. Participate in loading, unloading and similar operations. Assists in setting up and dismantling playground equipment.
- Receives calls, investigates and dispatches night crews to remedy routine complaints, reports major complaints to supervisor. Checks excavations for compliance with safety regulations.
- Acts as helper or assigned as apprentice to Craft Specialist and skilled trade workers in maintenance and repair of assigned buildings. May assist in minor maintenance of an assigned heating plant.
- Performs various tasks in support of solid waste disposal operations including, but not limited to, attending household hazardous waste and recycling facility, removing refrigerants from appliances, and directing the public.
- Operates compressors, jack hammers, cement mixers, brush chippers, chain saws, post-hole diggers, sewer augers and other similar power-driven equipment related to the job.
- Drives various trucks, operates rubber-wheeled tractors with attachments, front-end loaders and fork lifts. May be required to operate equipment of the next higher class on occasion. Assists in snow removal operations. Mounts sander boxes and tanks. Performs minor maintenance on street cleaning equipment.
- Services assigned equipment. Makes minor field repairs. Reports major defects. Prepares necessary reports.
- Assists in installation, repair and disconnection of water mains, hydrants and valves. Operates pipe and leak locating equipment or performs other operations peculiar to the assigned job.
- Assists in maintenance and construction of sanitary sewer and storm water infrastructure.
- Supervises crew engaged in installation, repair and maintenance of traffic signs and markers. Operates lane and crosswalk painting machines, and fabricates traffic signs using silk screens.
- Performs related work as required.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONSOpen Entry Requirements:
(Open-entry applicants must meet all requirements when they apply.)
- Education: High School diploma or equivalent.
- Experience: Two years of laboring experience.
- License: Possession of a valid driver's license. Must possess a Class B Commercial Driver's License (CDL) with air brake endorsement
Candidates must meet the minimum qualifications and pass the examination for this position to be eligible for hire. We encourage you to apply immediately. Online applications must be completed and submitted before 4:00 p.m. on the closing date.
Upon request, at time of application, City of Spokane will provide alternative accessible tests to individuals with disabilities that impair manual, sensory or speaking skills needed to take the test, unless the test is intended to measure those skills.
The examination will consist of a written test, with scoring weight assigned as follows:
- Multiple-Choice Examination: 100%
Two methods of testing will be offered. Candidates will choose which method is best for them and self-schedule accordingly. Self-schedule notifications will be sent to candidates upon approval of application review.
- Written Testing will be conducted at City Hall on the following dates:
- Applicants who apply and meet the minimum qualifications between Monday, November 15, 2021 and Tuesday, November 30, 2021 will test on December 7, 2021, at 9:00 a.m. or 1:00 p.m. Pacific Time in the Tribal Conference Room on the 1st floor.
- Applicants who apply and meet the minimum qualifications between Wednesday, December 1, 2021 and Tuesday, January 4, 2022 will test on Tuesday, January 11, 2022, at 9:00 a.m. or 1:00 p.m. Pacific Time in the Tribal Conference Room on the 1st floor.
- Applicants who applied and meet the minimum qualifications between Wednesday, January 5, 2022, and Monday, January 31, 2022 will test on Tuesday, February 8, 2022 at 9:00 a.m. or 1:00 p.m. Pacific Time in the Tribal Conference Room on the 1st floor.
NOTE: Remote examinees may begin the exam at any time during the test period; however, once you begin, you will have 1.5 hours to complete the examination. You may take the exam only once during the open recruitment period.
- Online Remote Testing will be offered . Multiple-choice examination links with instructions will be emailed prior to 8:00 a.m. Pacific Time on the start dates, and will expire at 4:00 p.m. on the due dates as listed below. Keep in mind that the test link will be emailed from FastTest (email@example.com).
- Applicants who apply and meet the minimum qualifications between Monday, November 15, 2021 and Tuesday, November 30, 2021 will test Thursday, December 2, 2021 through Tuesday, December 7, 2021
- Applicants who apply and meet the minimum qualifications between Wednesday, December 1, 2021 and Tuesday, January 4, 2022 will test Thursday, January 6, 2022 through Tuesday, January 11, 2022
- Applicants who applied and meet the minimum qualifications between Wednesday, January 5, 2022, and Monday, January 31, 2022 will test Thursday, February 3, 2022 through Tuesday, February 8, 2022.
All examination results will be merged into one eligible list according to final ratings, pursuant to the Merit System Rules of the Civil Service Commission: Rule IV, Section 13 - Continuous Examinations.
The test may include such subjects as:
- Applied Technology
- Interpersonal Skills
- Organizational Awareness
- Safety & Occupational Hazards
- Technical Competence
- Vehicle Operations.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity within our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, familial status, genetic information, veteran/military status or disability status. As a Fair Chance employer, City of Spokane does not conduct initial background screening for non-public safety positions.
Closing Date/Time: 2022-01-31