Introduction This is a reinstatement, transfer or voluntary demotion opportunity for current and former regularly appointed employees of Alameda County. Reinstatement:
Pursuant to Civil Service Rule 1744: On the request of a department head and approval of the Commission, a regularly appointed employee who resigned in good standing may, within three years after the effective date of his/her resignation, be reinstated in a position in the class from which he/she resigned or in a position in another class for which he/she may be eligible as determined by the Commission. Appointments by reinstatement following resignation are subject to the probationary period established for the class. You must have been a classified County employee in the same job code or in a job code at the same salary maximum and left the County in good standing. In addition, you must meet the minimum and special qualifications of the specific position. Transfer:
You must be a current County classified employee in the same job code or in a job code with the same salary maximum for which you are applying. In addition, you must meet the minimum and special qualifications of the specific position. Voluntary Demotion:
You must be a current County classified employee in a job code which is at a higher salary maximum than the vacancy for which you are applying. In addition, you must meet the minimum and special qualifications of the specific position.
The Alameda County Probation Department is an essential element of the County's system of public protection and human services. The Department's role is to reduce the impact of crime in the community by providing accurate, comprehensive and timely information and recommendations to the Courts, providing community-based sanctions and treatment for offenders, and working cooperatively with law enforcement agencies and community organizations with similar objectives. The Department provides a wide range of mandated and discretionary investigative, advisory, and supervisory services to adult and juvenile probationers pursuant to State law and the County Charter. THE POSITION
Under general direction, independently plans, contracts, directs, administers and implements Probation legislative, public information, training, research, employment, education, re-entry and community-based programs.
Probation Specialist positions are located in various divisions/units within the Probation Department. This is the full journey-level Probation class. Incumbents are typically subject-matter generalists who have demonstrated possession of the intellectual abilities, management tools, and personal qualifications to succeed in a variety of Probation-specific settings.
This classification requires knowledge of a variety of Probation programs and community resources, expertise in program design, evidence-based practices, national trends in correctional research, curriculum design and classroom delivery, public speaking, press, public and social media coordination, and group facilitation.
The equivalent to graduation from an accredited four year college or university (180 quarter units or 120 semester units).
The equivalent of two years of increasingly responsible full-time, journey-level professional experience developing or administering contracts, research, policy or program development, or training in a probation setting.
The equivalent of three years of increasingly responsible full-time journey-level professional experience in a criminal justice related field performing duties in one or a combination of the following or closely related areas: contracts and procurement; public information; training; budgeting; program planning; program evaluation; or policy analysis.
Possession of a Master's degree in business, public administration, social science or a related field to the program area to which assigned from an accredited college or university, may be substituted for two years of the required experience.
Specific positions may require possession of a valid California driver's license. Specified positions may also require licensure or certification in the programmatic area to which assigned.
NOTE: The Civil Service Commission may modify the above Minimum Qualifications in the announcement of an examination.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS The most suitably qualified candidates will possess the following competencies:
• Principles and practices of operational, policy and programmatic research and analysis.
• Practices and techniques of administrative, statistical and programmatic analysis and report preparation.
• Principles, practices, funding sources and administrative requirements in the program area to which assigned.
• Principles and practices of program planning and evaluation.
• Principles and practices of direct client service delivery.
• Applicable federal, state and local laws, rules and regulations.
• Computer applications related to the work.
• Office administrative practices and procedures, including records management and the operation of standard office equipment.
• Basic budgetary and financial record-keeping techniques.
• Plan, monitor, and evaluate program and service delivery effectiveness in the programmatic area to which assigned.
• Identify programmatic and operational problems, investigate and evaluate alternatives and implement effective solutions.
• Interpret, explain and apply complex regulations, policies and procedures.
• Prepare clear, accurate and effective reports, correspondence, policies, informational brochures, and other written materials.
• Represent the department and the County in meetings with others and make effective presentations to diverse groups.
• Organize and prioritize work and meet critical deadlines.
• Maintain accurate records and files.
• Exercise sound independent judgement within established policies and guidelines.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of the work.
Alameda County offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package that affords wide-ranging health care options to meet the different needs of a diverse workforce and their families. We also sponsor many different employee discount, fitness and health screening programs focused on overall well being. These benefits include but are not limited to*: For your Health & Well-Being
For your Financial Future
- Medical - HMO & PPO Plans
- Dental - HMO & PPO Plans
- Vision or Vision Reimbursement
- Share the Savings
- Basic Life Insurance
- Supplemental Life Insurance (with optional dependent coverage for eligible employees)
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
- County Allowance Credit
- Flexible Spending Accounts - Health FSA, Dependent Care and Adoption Assistance
- Short-Term Disability Insurance
- Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Voluntary Benefits - Accident Insurance, Critical Illness, Hospital Indemnity and Legal Services
- Employee Assistance Program
For your Work/Life Balance
- Retirement Plan - (Defined Benefit Pension Plan)
- Deferred Compensation Plan (457 Plan or Roth Plan)
- 11 paid holidays
- Floating Holidays
- Vacation and sick leave accrual
- Vacation purchase program
- Management Paid Leave**
- Catastrophic Sick Leave
- Group Auto/Home Insurance
- Pet Insurance
- Commuter Benefits Program
- Guaranteed Ride Home
- Employee Wellness Program (e.g. At Work Fitness, Incentive Based Programs, Gym Membership Discounts)
- Employee Discount Program (e.g. theme parks, cell phone, etc.)
- Child Care Resources
- 1 st United Services Credit Union
*Eligibility is determined by Alameda County and offerings may vary by collective bargaining agreement. This provides a brief summary of the benefits offered and can be subject to change.
** Non-exempt management employees are entitled to up to three days of management paid leave. Exempt management employees are entitled to up to seven days of management paid leave.
Conclusion TO APPLY:
Please contact Tanya Cagnolatti at (510) 208-1163 or firstname.lastname@example.org
You are encouraged to apply immediately as this posting is open until filled and may close at anytime. Alameda County is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Closing Date/Time: Continuous