RESEARCH ANALYST IV
In addition to performance-based merit increases, this position is scheduled to receive salary range increases on the following dates:
Effective July 1, 2022 - 3.5% increase
Salary may be negotiable within the range listed above, based on position requirements and successful candidate's qualifications, subject to appropriate authorization.
This recruitment is open to the public
for a minimum of five (5) business days and will remain open on a continuous basis until 11:59 p.m. (PST)
on the day the needs of the County are met. Applicants are encouraged to apply immediately.
This recruitment is being held to establish an Open
eligible list to fill current and future vacancies within the Health Care Agency. This recruitment may also be used to fill positions in similar and/or lower classifications throughout the County of Orange.
Please note that this position will be filled as limited term.
(Limited-term positions are funded for a limited period of time, however, incumbents receive regular benefits e.g. health benefits, pension, vacation and sick leave accruals etc.) THE AGENCY
The County of Orange Health Care Agency (HCA)
is a dynamic organization dedicated to creating and supporting an environment that promotes the achievement of optimal individual, family and community health. Under the leadership of the Agency Director, a new and dynamic executive team with an organizational structure comprised of seven (7) service areas - Administrative and Financial, Strategy and Special Projects, Behavioral Health, Correctional Health, Office of Care Coordination, Medical Health and Public Health - is committed to meeting the health needs of the diverse Orange County community. THE OPPORTUNITY
The COVID-19 pandemic has placed an unprecedented increased need and demand for timely and accurate information about the COVID-19 outbreak in Orange County. Research staff have been tasked with tracking and reporting on both the demographic, geographic and temporal aspects of testing, new cases, hospitalizations (including intensive care unit utilization), and deaths seven days a week for over a year now. With the development of vaccines against the COVID-19 virus, Research staff have also been tasked with tracking the demographic and geographic distribution of county residents (and non-residents) who have been vaccinated.
Under the direction and guidance of a Research Manager, the Research Analyst IV is responsible for the following:
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & CORE COMPETENCIES
- Tracking, reporting, and mapping vital Birth and Death statistics in Orange County
- Monitoring mortality data with respect to excess deaths, suicide and COVID-19 deaths on a weekly basis
- Analyzing and tracking emergency department visits and hospitalizations as part of ongoing surveillance of leading causes of morbidity and mortality in Orange County
- Analyzing and updating COVID-19 testing, case, hospitalization and death trends seven days a week and posting the information on a widely used public facing online dashboard that includes trends and maps
- Analyzing COVID-19 case and death data with particular focus on age group demographic and geographic impact
- Analyzing vaccination coverage by age group, race/ethnicity and OC ZIP, and updating online and pdf maps to visualize coverage updating online dashboard maps of vaccination coverage, creating of summary tables regarding vaccine coverage by demographic group
- Analyzing ongoing COVID-19 testing positivity surveillance for targeted ZIPs in Orange County for HCA leadership and community leaders
- Downloading and preparing daily COVID-19 Blueprint Snapshot update from CDPH for internal reporting on cases, testing, hospitalizations/ICU, and deaths
The ideal candidate will possess a Bachelor's degree or higher in mathematics, epidemiology, or other related field and will have extensive knowledge of evaluation methods, research design, and statistical analysis and the ability to organize statistical information. Ideal candidate will also possess experience in the various methods of organizing statistical information into reports, tables, charts, graphs, and using statistical analysis software applications such as Statistical Package for Social Sciences (SPSS), R Stats Package, and Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Mapping Software. In addition, the ideal candidate will possess extensive knowledge, experience, skills, and abilities in the following competencies:Technical Knowledge/ Experience
- Thorough knowledge of and experience with developing research studies/program evaluation projects in an applied setting
- Experience applying statistical analysis procedures (e.g. descriptive statistics, inferential statistics), and organizing statistical information into reports, tables, charts, and graphs
- Working with/querying complex data collection/management systems, including understanding and utilizing computer programming and processing methods to generate, organize, and display a variety of complex research data
- Understanding and applying the principles of the reliability and validity for developing and/or evaluating assessments/questionnaires
- Using research methods in community settings and adapting or tailoring methods for application in other settings
- Understanding and applying the regulations to program implementation and data/outcome reporting
- Organizing and delivering public presentations that effectively inform or persuade diverse audiences
- Experience with technical report writing and/or scientific manuscript writing
- Summarizing and presenting complex statistical information to management and/or "technical and non-technical" audiences both verbally and in written form
- Using professional communication skills to facilitate meetings and trainings with internal and external stakeholders
- Writing clearly and concisely, proofreading and editing, composing informative memos, e-mails, formal correspondence, reports, and other documents
- Building and maintaining productive relationships with various levels of management, peers, staff and community partners
- Integrating with the larger organizational team given the role required, sharing resources, responding to requests from other parts of the organization, and supporting the agency's agenda
- Leading projects independently or acting as a lead with team members
- Assisting with training new Research Analysts
- Providing mentorship to support staff and new team members
to learn more about the minimum qualifications for the Research Analyst IV
classification as well as the physical and mental requirements and the environmental and working conditions. PHYSICAL & MENTAL REQUIREMENT, ENVIRONMENTAL AND WORKING CONDITIONS Physical & Mental Requirements
Possess vision sufficient to read standard text, fine print, various handwritings and view a computer monitor; speak and hear well enough to communicate clearly and understandably in person and over the telephone; independent body mobility sufficient to stand, sit, walk, stoop, and bend routinely to perform daily tasks; ability to sit for prolonged periods of time; manual dexterity to use hands, arms, and shoulders repetitively to operate a keyboard/mouse and use other office equipment such as a stapler, telephone and photocopy machine. Possess the ability to independently reason logically to analyze data, reach conclusions and make recommendations; possess the ability to remain calm and appropriately focused in rapidly changing and difficult situations involving conflict, complex issues, controversy and diverse stakeholder groups and interests; possess the ability to deal calmly and effectively with emotional interactions. Environmental Conditions
Ability to work in an office environment with changing priorities, deadlines and multiple assignments concurrently. RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Human Resource Services (HRS) will screen all application materials to identify qualified applicants. After screening, qualified applicants will be referred to the next step and notified of all further procedures applicable to their status in the competition.Application Screening (Refer/Non-Refer)
Applications and supplemental responses will be screened for qualifications that are highly desirable and most needed to successfully perform the duties of this job. Only those applicants that meet the qualifications as listed in the job bulletin will be referred to the next step.Veterans Employment Preference
The County is committed to providing a mechanism to give preferential consideration in the employment process to veterans and their eligible spouses and will provide eligible participants the opportunity to receive interviews in the selection process for employment and paid internship openings. Please click here
to review the policy.Structured Oral Interview (Weighted 100%)
Applicants will be interviewed and rated by an oral interview panel of job knowledge experts. Each applicant's rating will be based on responses to a series of structured questions designed to elicit the applicant's qualifications for the job. Based on the Department's needs, the selection procedures listed above may be modified. All candidates will be notified of any changes in the selection procedures. Eligible List
Once the assessment process has been completed, HRS will establish an eligible list of candidates. Candidates placed on the eligible list may be referred to a selection interview to be considered for present and future vacancies.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION Please see below for important information regarding COVID-19 related requirements.
The COVID-19 pandemic continues to evolve, and laws, regulations, and policies regarding COVID-19 are subject to change. The County of Orange is required to comply with all applicable State or County Public Health Orders, some of which require vaccination or testing as follows:
- Workers, who provide services in certain Medical or High-Risk Settings, will be required to provide proof of full vaccination from COVID-19 or to wear a mask and undergo weekly COVID-19 testing .
- Workers, who provide services in certain Health Care Facilities or in a correctional facility or detention center where health care is provided, will be required to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated and boosted . (Workers may be exempt from this requirement based on religious beliefs or a qualifying medical reason; however, if exempted, they will be required to wear a mask and undergo weekly COVID-19 testing.)
The position for which you are applying may be required to adhere to any applicable State or County Public Health Orders. You will receive notification of any requirement as it applies to a position. Email Notification Email
is the primary form of notification during the recruitment process. Please ensure your correct email address is included in our application and use only one email account.NOTE: User accounts are established for one person only and should not be shared with another person. Multiple applications with multiple users may jeopardize your status in the recruitment process for any positions for which you apply.
Candidates will be notified regarding their status as the recruitment proceeds via email through the GovernmentJobs.com site. Please check your email folders, including spam/junk folders, and/or accept emails ending with "governmentjobs.com" and "ocgov.com." If your email address should change, please update your profile at www.governmentjobs.com
.Frequently Asked Questions
for additional Frequently Asked Questions.
For specific information pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Trish Fallon
at (714) 834-4635 or email@example.com
EEO INFORMATION Orange County, as an equal employment opportunity employer,
encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous