Salary: $17.65 - $21.07 Hourly USD
This position is responsible for assisting in the installation, maintenance and repair of the sewer collection system.
• Assists in the maintenance and construction of sewer lines. (60%)
o Verifies underground utilities at excavation sites.
o Lays out sewer lines.
o Locates and repairs leaks.
o Inspects pump stations for maintenance needs.
o Checks flow and pressure.
o Operates sewer cameras to inspect sewer mains and laterals for breaks and blockages.
o Cuts grass and weeds on rights-of-way.
o Assists in the location of sewer lines.
o Maintains assigned tools and equipment.
o Cleans up sewer spills.
o Cleans sewer mains using various cleaning machines and equipment.
o Makes sewer taps for both old and new services.
o Operates GIS equipment in support of installation accuracy.
• Assists in the repair of sewer lines. (30%)
o Assists in the repair of sewer line breakages.
o Repairs sewer mains.
o Participates in on-call rotation and responds to after-hours system emergencies.
o Operates specialized equipment, including hand rodder and jet truck.
o Installs and replaces landscaping elements.
o Repairs concrete and asphalt.
o Operates dump truck, bush hog, mower, and backhoe.
• Performs related duties. (10%)
o Demonstrates punctual, regular, and reliable attendance.
o Attends meetings, workshops, and training sessions.
o Provides innovative solutions to enhance current processes and procedures and/or resolve workplace issues.
o Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Knowledge of City and department policies and procedures.
• Knowledge of the equipment, techniques and supplies used in sewer system construction and maintenance.
• Knowledge of City geography, including the location of utilities.
• Knowledge of the operation and maintenance of job-related tools and equipment.
• Skill in the use of hand and power tools.
• Skill in performing basic mathematical calculations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and percentages.
• Skill in decision making and problem solving.
• Skill in interpersonal relations.
• Skill in oral and written communication.
• Ability to work cooperatively with others.
The Heavy Equipment Operator assigns work in terms of somewhat general instructions. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with instructions and established procedures, accuracy and the nature and propriety of the final results.
Guidelines include Alabama Department of Environmental Management regulations; Water Environment Federation Manuals of Practice; EPA Regulations; City of Auburn Water Resource Management standards and specifications; blueprints; work orders; City and department policies and procedures; relevant local, state and federal laws; and City of Auburn Core Values, Vision, and Mission statements. These guidelines are generally clear and specific, but may require some interpretation in application.
COMPLEXITY/SCOPE OF WORK
• The work consists of related sewer construction and maintenance duties. Inclement weather and heavy traffic contribute to the complexity of the position.
• The purpose of this position is to assist in sewer construction and maintenance activities. Success in this position contributes to regulatory compliance and the provision of a well-maintained City infrastructure.
• Contacts are typically with co-workers, contractors, customers, and members of the general public.
• Contacts are typically to give or exchange information, resolve problems, and provide services.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT
• The work is typically performed while intermittently sitting, standing, bending, crouching, or stooping. The employee frequently lifts light objects weighing less than 24 pounds and heavy objects weighing 24 or more pounds. The employee climbs ladders, uses tools or equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity, and distinguishes between shades of color and utilizes the sense of smell and hearing.
• The work is typically performed outdoors, occasionally in cold or inclement weather. The employee may be exposed to noise, dust, dirt, grease, contagious or infectious diseases, irritating chemicals, and machinery with moving parts. Work requires the use of protective devices such as masks, goggles, gloves, etc.
• Ability to read, write, and perform basic mathematical calculations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and percentages; and
• Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or having had a similar position for one to two years; or
• Any equivalent combination of education, experience, and training which provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to perform the work.
• Possession of or ability to obtain a valid Alabama Class B Commercial Driver's License within six months of employment.