Description:Salary and Benefits
The salary range will be from $100,000 - $125,000 per year.
This position is a Management Personnel Plan (MPP) position in the CSU, and serves at the pleasure of the President.
The CSU enjoys a generous benefits program with employer paid life insurance ($100,000), as well as health, dental, and vision insurance with the monthly premium largely paid by the CSU. Additionally, we offer a broad range of other benefits which includes dependent and health care reimbursement accounts, tuition fee waiver, 401k, 457 and 403(b) plans.
The CSU belongs to the CalPERS retirement plan in which medical and dental insurance continues in qualified retirement.
The CSU has 14 paid holidays and the position earns 24 days of vacation and 12 days of sick leave per year.
For more information on the benefits program, please visit https://www.csueastbay.edu/hr/benefits/index.html About Cal State East Bay
Cal State East Bay's beautiful main campus is located in the Hayward hills with panoramic views of the San Francisco Bay shoreline. Situated above the city of Hayward, the campus offers an ideal setting for teaching and learning and yet easy access to the many cities along the bay. The University has a satellite campus in Concord, a professional development center in Oakland and a significant presence online. Founded in 1957, Cal State East Bay is one of 23 universities of the California State University system (CSU). With an enrollment over 15,800 students, Cal State East Bay is recognized as a regionally engaged and globally oriented university with a strong commitment to academic innovation, student success, engaged and service learning, diversity, and sustainability. About the Position
The mission of the Small Business Development Center (SBDC) is to provide consulting services and training to small businesses to assist the business to obtain financing and to grow their businesses to generate the economic impact and job growth for the East Bay region.
The Director of the SBDC is responsible for planning, developing, implementing and evaluating programs designed to provide counseling and training to small business owners throughout Alameda County and Contra Costa County. Work includes developing and publicizing programs, recruiting and staffing consultants to meet the needs and consulting requests by small businesses, developing local contacts with cities, counties, chamber of commerce and businesses, recruiting and supervising consultants and staff, tracking progress towards economic impact goals and fiscal program administration. Responsibilities
- Plan, develop, implement, and evaluate counseling services and training to small business owners in both the Alameda County and Contra Costa County
- Assist small businesses in solving problems concerning manufacturing, merchandising, service, operations, accounting, finance, marketing, sales, personnel administration, technology development and management, digital development and transformation, business strategy development, and other activities required for small business growth and expansion, innovation, increased productivity, and management improvement
- Maintain a positive working relationship and open communication with the financial and investment communities, Chambers of Commerce, Economic Development agencies in cities and counties, local and regional small business groups and associations to help address the varied needs of the small business community
- Recruit, supervise, train and evaluate a diverse group of consultants to assist in fulfilling program goals and objectives and schedule consultants for needed appointments for different areas of needs
- Serve as a consultant to small businesses when needed
- Oversee and update training course offerings, marketing and evaluate effectiveness of training courses
- Manage large events for small businesses such as Business Resource Fair, Business Awards or Entrepreneurial Business Plan Competition events
- Prepare and manage a budget within the approved guidelines of external agencies
- Prepare quarterly and annual reports required by external agencies
- Track metrics and meet target metrics set by the Lead Center
- Prepare proposals to, and elicit funds from, outside sources including the annual proposal for Small Business Administration (SBA) Grant funds
- Develop and implement methods of publicizing deliverables to attract clients and support from community business and industry leaders
- Maintain current knowledge and information concerning federal, state, and local regulations that affect small businesses, and counsel small businesses on methods of compliance
- Maintain a comprehensive library of print and online resources that contains current information and statistical data helpful to small business development and prosperity
- Communicate regularly and maintain relations with state and federal legislators and/or their representatives
- Attends all SBDC Regional functions and represents East Bay SBDC on Regional Level
- Frequent travel locally
Preferred Skills and Knowledge
- Master's degree or higher with emphasis in training, marketing or business plus three years of related experience or Bachelor's degree or higher in marketing or business plus five years of experience in materials development, marketing and management required.
- Knowledge of current developments in small business management (accounting, financing, IT management, HR management, marketing and sales, operations management, strategy management, and entrepreneurial and start-up launch), with the ability to apply new developments for small business
- Skill and ability to effectively market the East Bay SBDC programs to small businesses
- Skills and ability to manage large events for small businesses and service providers or awards events
- Skill to identify goals and develop strategic plans
- Ability to formulate program goals and objectives and to identify appropriate activities and/or functions to meet these objectives
- Skill to contribute and present innovative ideas for new curricula and programs that combine traditional schedules with new demands from industry
- Skills to manage grants and contracts following individual grant policies and contracts
- Skill and ability to use current technology
- Skill to perform effectively in interpersonal situations
- Ability to clearly and effectively present ideas in small and large group settings
- Ability to deal effectively and fairly with a variety of individuals in a courteous, professional manner
- Knowledge of ethical business and governmental practices
- Ability to utilize computer technology to access information, maintain records, generate reports and communicate. Proven oral and written communication skills to support interaction with individuals from other organizations, state and federal agencies and members of business and industry
Condition(s) of Employment
- Experience working in economic development agencies at cities or counties will be a plus
- Entrepreneurship experience will be a plus
- Bilingual or multilingual candidates will be desirable
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including LiveScan, as appropriate), that may include, but is not limited to: criminal records check, verification of academic credentials, licenses, certificates, credit history, professional references and/or verification of work history is required for employment. Cal State East Bay will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Unsatisfactory results may also affect the continued employment of current Cal State East Bay employees who were conditionally offered the position.
All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate. LiveScan is conducted through the University Police Department. EEO Statement
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Cal State East Bay does not discriminate on the basis of any protected categories: age, ancestry, citizenship, color, disability, gender, immigration status, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran's status. The University is committed to the principles of diversity in employment and to creating a stimulating learning environment for its diverse student body. Other Information
All California State University campuses, including Cal State East Bay, are smoke and tobacco-free. For more information, please visit our website at http://www.csueastbay.edu/smokeandtobaccofree/
In compliance with state and federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, the Cal State East Bay Annual Campus Security Report is available at: http://www.csueastbay.edu/upd/safety-and-security-reports.html
At CSUEB, the following nine competencies have been identified as valued leadership qualities: Communication, Cooperation, Delegation, Empathy, Feedback, Innovation, Leadership Presence, Passion and Strategic Ability. While we may not expect our managers to exhibit all of these competencies, we do expect them to aspire to develop them. As part of the annual evaluation review process, the Director, East Bay Small Business Development Center will be evaluated on each. Sponsorship
Cal State East Bay is not a sponsoring agency for Staff or Management positions and we are not an E-Verify employer. Mandated Reporter
The incumbent in this position may be considered a mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and will be required to comply with requirements set forth in the CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. CSU Vaccination Policy
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat. com/policy/9779821/latest/
and questions may be sent to email@example.com
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled