Description The Hanover County Parks and Recreation Department is seeking a motivated individual that is looking for an opportunity to work in a positive team environment! The incumbent will successfully work individually as well as in a group setting. The successful candidate will assist in maintaining our equipment and county parks, fields and common areas as a Groundskeeper. General Description:
This is a technical position that performs routine tasks to maintain and care for county grounds.Organization:
The Groundskeeper position is part of Hanover County's Career Development Program (CD). The Groundskeeper Ladder has four (4) levels ranging from Groundskeeper I to Senior Groundskeeper. Incumbents report to the Groundskeeper Supervisor and Groundskeeper I, II and III supervise no staff. Senior level Groundskeepers may provide workflow guidance to other staff.Essential Functions:
Additional Functions (18 years of age or older):
- Performs safety checks of County grounds and recreation facilities.
- Provides grounds maintenance, such as cutting grass, litter control, weed eating, seeding, and edging.
- Prepares facilities, grounds and equipment for recreational use, such as dragging, marking and lining athletic fields.
- Sets up, takes down and cleans up for special events and other activities. Performs preventive maintenance of equipment.
- Performs related work as assigned
- Makes repairs as needed.
- Performs ground maintenance including tree removal and fertilizing
- Conditions - Must operate equipment safely to avoid injury
- Field - Tasks are performed normally outside, sometimes in adverse weather
C. Physical Effort
- Operation of commercial mowing and landscaping equipment, gas powered hand tools and heavy duty equipment as qualified
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds
D. Non-exemptKnowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Knowledge of general landscaping, standard safety practices and small engine repair, preferred.Education, Experience and Training:
High school diploma or equivalent required with experience working with small tools and proficiency on at least one piece of related equipment preferred - OR - minimum of 17 years of age with studies in landscaping or horticulture-related education program - OR- Any equivalent combination of education, experience and/or training sufficient to demonstrate the knowledge, skills and abilities is acceptable.Special Conditions:
Revision Date: September 2021
- Criminal Records Check, including fingerprinting
- Valid Commonwealth of Virginia Driver's License
- Twelve-month probationary period
- Pre-employment Physical Examination/Drug Test /Alcohol Testing and repeated in accordance to policy thereafter
- Pre-employment audiometric testing and hearing conservation and repeated in accordance to policy thereafter
- Work beyond normal work schedule, including weekends, holidays, and nights
- Must wear uniform, including safety equipment
Closing Date/Time: Continuous