The City of Riverside and the Community and Economic Development Department is accepting applications for the position of Plan Check Manager
within its Building & Safety Division. This recruitment will be used to establish an eligibility list to fill current and future vacancies in this classification for up to six (6) months .
The City seeks a dynamic individual with strong technical ability who is an effective leader and communicator with a proven track record of providing quality plan check services in a municipal environment. The ideal candidate is focused on delivering outstanding customer centric service and will help ensure a unified, consistent approach to the plan review and permitting process while acting as a liaison for the Building & Safety Division and its participation in the One Stop Shop. Additionally, the candidate will have a strong background and understanding of today's permit tracking software and electronic plan review processes.
Under direction, to plan, develop, organize, implement and pro-actively monitor software systems, procedures, practices, and customer service standards related to the processing of plan check cases; to identify and resolve customer and process problems; to perform complex plan reviews, to supervise permit counter and plan check staff, and to perform related duties as required.
Typical duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Supervises staff involved in checking plans for compliance with laws, codes, ordinances and regulations, and the plan check process. Ensures staff meet and respond to the City's customer service objectives, standards and goals and are following procedures and policies.
- Pro-actively manages and coordinates plan check activities to ensure timely and thorough processing of submitted plans.
- Develops and/or monitors computer systems to track the progress of plan check cases, pro-actively monitors the progress, and ensures all staff are completing work within prescribed deadlines.
- Ensures that information on plan check and related matters is readily available to developers, architects, engineers, contractors, and the public; personally, meets with customers to facilitate the plan check process.
- Assist the public either by telephone, electronically, in person, or in writing with inquires or information related to the status of plan check cases.
- Meets with the public or other City staff to review the status of plan check activity.
- Prepares and presents verbal and written reports on plan check activity; recommends procedural changes and clarifications.
- Addresses complaints regarding the plan check process and working with pertinent City departments, takes or directs corrective action.
- Attends community meetings and makes oral and written presentations on the plan check process.
- Takes a lead role in specifying requirements for, implementing, and maintaining an automated permit processing system.
- Reviews complex plans for compliance with state and local codes and standards.
- Performs developmental review as a representative of the Building & Safety Division during Development Review Committee meetings, and others, as assigned.
- Assists with the oversight and supervision of the permit counter operation while coordinating technology and software updates to help improve internal process and procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications Recruitment Guidelines:
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's degree in architecture, engineering, public administration, construction management, or a closely related field.Experience:
Five years of progressively responsible work in a private or public sector agency involving permit and plan check processing of commercial, residential and industrial projects that include a high level of public contact. Two years of direct experience supervising staff in a regulatory or permit and plan check processing environment with customer service responsibilities.Necessary Special Requirements:
- Possession of an appropriate, valid class "C" California Motor Vehicle Operator's License.
- Possession of a current certification as a Building Plans Examiner from the (ICC) International Code Council.
- Possession of current certification as a Certified Access Specialist (CASp) or the ability to obtain within one year of hire.
Selection Process DOCUMENTS REQUIRED AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION:
- Completed Online Application
- Completed Supplemental Questionnaire
- Cover Letter that describes why you are the ideal candidate.
- Copies of Certifications.
The selection process will begin with an employment application package screening, with the best qualified candidates being invited to participate further in the assessment process. This process may include any combination of written, performance, and oral assessments to evaluate job-related education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities. Those who successfully complete the selection process will be placed on the eligibility list for this classification. IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON SCHEDULING ASSESSMENTS:
If you are selected to move forward in the assessment process, you may be required to self-schedule your appointment. You will be notified via email of your status and provided with self-scheduling instructions. Please check your email regularly following the closing date of this recruitment.
It is the responsibility of candidates with a disability requiring accommodation in the assessment process to contact the Human Resources Department in writing to request such accommodation prior to the closing date of this recruitment.
Appointment may be subject to the successful completion of a pre-employment background investigation, drug screen, and/or medical/physical examination. NOTE: The City reserves the right to modify selection devices and test instruments in accordance with accepted legal, ethical, and professional standards. Candidates may reapply when there is a posting to establish an eligibility list. EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
Proof of education listed in your application will be requested at the time of conditional offer. Acceptable documentation consists of transcripts or degree, if applicable, by the accredited U.S. college or university.
Education obtained outside the United States (US) require one of the following options:
A. An equivalency statement from an evaluation company certified by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) at http://www.naces.org/members.html or the Association of International Credential Evaluators Inc. (AICE) at httR://aice-eval.org/members/.
B. An advanced-level degree from an accredited US college or university. All applicants will be notified via e-mail or telephone of their application status and the assessment dates/times/locations after the closing date of this announcement.THE PROVISIONS OF THIS JOB ANNOUNCEMENT DO NOT CONSTITUTE AN EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED CONTRACT.