The City of Irvine seeks responsible individuals to provide services for the field administration and inspection of complex capital improvement projects.
Projects include locally, special district and/or developer funded infrastructure improvement projects related to the City's Capital Improvement Program and private development of public infrastructure. Projects may include grading, construction, rehabilitation or maintenance of roads, bridges, drainage facilities, landscaping, traffic signals, parks, and buildings.*Limited term vacancies require a full-time schedule but will not exceed three years. Future vacancies within various departments may be filled through this recruitment.
Apply now! This recruitment is continuous and may close at any time. Next review date: Thursday, January 20th.
- Organize and maintain project records. Prepare daily, weekly, and monthly reports related to contract activities, scheduling, and budgeting.
- Review plans and specifications for field conditions and constructability.
- Ensure compliance with the terms of the contract with the City, municipal codes, and State and Federal laws and regulations.
- Facilitate the resolution of complex unanticipated construction issues working in collaboration with the contractor and the Project Manager.
- Respond to and resolve inquiries and complaints from public, contractors, and City personnel.
- Inspect and/or coordinate inspection of all project work, encroachment, and utility work within the project limits.
- Coordinate all activities related to the acceptance of the completed construction project.
- Ensure that safe traffic control is maintained throughout the construction zone.
- Find additional information in the Construction Inspector job description.
- Associate's degree in a construction technology or construction inspection field.
- Three years of construction inspection experience, or any combination of education and experience that provides equivalent knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid California driver's license.
- Three years of experience in public work inspections including construction of concrete structures, asphalt, traffic signals, and facilities.
- Strong understanding of traffic control procedures and devices for streets, highways and bike trails and other regulatory requirements such as the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES).
- Knowledge and understanding of public sector contract administration. Strong relationship building and customer service skills.
- Ability to work with others to resolve unanticipated construction issues. Ability to advise and interpret how to apply policies, procedures, and standards to specific situations.
- A team player with strong verbal and written communication skills. Strong service attitude with a results-driven approach to problem solving.
Irvine is recognized as one of America's Best Places to Live, according to Money Magazine . The City of Irvine features an array of entertainment and recreational opportunities including exceptional parks, open space preservations, sport complexes, and master-planned communities.
The Public Works Department effectively administers the design, engineering, construction, and maintenance of the City of Irvine. This dynamic department consists of nine divisions: Administration, Signal Maintenance, Project Management, Environmental Programs, Development Engineering, Streets and Right-of-Way Maintenance, Landscape Maintenance, Facilities Maintenance and Fleet Services. Together these divisions sustain the vibrant landscape, streets, and facilities of the City.The Process
The selection process will include an examination and conduct a background investigation prior to appointment. This recruitment may establish an eligibility list to fill future positions in similar and/or lower classifications within the organization.Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Irvine is an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. We encourage you to inform Human Resources at least two business days prior to the first phase of the selection process if you have a disability that may require an accommodation.Retirement
The City offers the CalPERS 2% at 62 formula for new CalPERS members.; OR 2% at 55 formula for existing CalPERS members with less than a six-month break in service from another CalPERS or CalPERS reciprocal agency. Additional details on the City's retirement plan will be provided to candidates during the job offer process. For further information about CalPERS, please contact CalPERS directly.Health Plan
The City currently offers medical, dental, andvision insurance coverage for employees and their dependents. In addition, the City provides life insurance and a disability plan for employees.Leave Time
80 to 160 hours of annual vacation accrual, depending on years of service; 11 paid holidays per year; 96 hours of sick leave per year; and 80 hours of annual personal leave. City employees currentlywork a36/44 hour work week schedule.Benefits
Professional Development/Education Reimbursement up to $1,300 per year; Flexible Spending Account that allows pre-tax dollars to pay for eligible medical and dependent care expenses; and a City Wellness program that includes on-site fitness centers.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous
Please mention you found this employment opportunity on the CareersInGovernment.com job board.