Description:Position Rank and Title:
Assistant, Associate, or Full Professor School/Department Name:
Interdisciplinary Engineering Program (IDE) Compensation:
Commensurate with qualifications, experience, and rank as established by the CSU Salary Schedule
. See Benefits Summary
for details about the CSU's excellent employment benefits. Application Deadline:
January 10, 2022 (Applications accepted until filled or closed) Target Start Date:
August, 2022 First Review Date (or Closing Date):
January 17, 2022Position Description
The College of Engineering at San Jose State University (SJSU) seeks qualified candidates for a full-time position at all ranks in the Interdisciplinary Engineering program. We encourage candidates who have a record of accomplishment in teaching, research, and program development in any areas of engineering to apply. Faculty in the Interdisciplinary Engineering Program (IDE), formerly the General Engineering Program, take a much broader view of engineering education than in traditional engineering disciplines. In collaboration with other engineering or non-engineering programs, IDE offers interdisciplinary and flexible curricula at both BS and MS levels. The IDE program also collaborates with local industry offering on-site, MS degree professional development programs. IDE is a growing discipline applicable in a variety of engineering opportunities, such as: consulting, research, law, medicine, project management, business, space and any emerging technology area and more.
The College of Engineering and San José State University value diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging. Our excellence in research, teaching, and service can only be fully realized by faculty, students, and staff who share our commitment to these values. SJSU enrolls more than 36,000 students, many of whom are historically underserved, and around 45% are first-generation and 38% are Pell-recipients. SJSU is a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander (AANAPISI) Serving Institution. The university's commitment to social justice extends from its vibrant, inclusive campus to an international network of over 275,000 alumni. As such, San José State is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty so our disciplines, students, and the community can benefit from multiple ethnic and gender perspectives.
Successful candidates will demonstrate evidence of a commitment to equity and inclusion through their research, teaching, and/or service. We ask that all applicants include a Diversity Statement with their application package. A guide to writing this statement can be found at SJSU Diversity Statement Guidelines
, along with information about how these statements will be evaluated.Required Qualifications
The required qualifications for the positions are:
- A BS or MS degree in any field of engineering and a PhD degree in any field of engineering, higher education or related discipline.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct research and to teach undergraduate and graduate students in an engineering area.
- Demonstrated an awareness of and sensitivity to the educational goals of a multicultural population as might have been gained in cross-cultural study, training, teaching and other comparable experience.
Priority will be given to candidates who possess one or more of the following:
- Experiences and a record of accomplishments in developing interdisciplinary engineering educational programs.
- Experiences and a record of accomplishments in teaching and developing general education courses and institutional-wide services.
- A record of collaboration with faculty members in different engineering majors or other colleges.
- Experiences in collaborating with industry partners in developing professional development programs.
The person selected for this position will have the following responsibilities.
- The candidate will teach engineering and/or general education courses.
- The candidate will advise students including master's projects and theses, and develop a research program related to his/her field of interest.
- The candidate will take initiative and provide leadership in developing programs at both undergraduate and graduate level in Interdisciplinary Engineering fields.
- The candidate will actively participate in the general education program related services and development.
- The candidate will actively collaborate with other academic programs and strengthen ties between the IDE program and its surrounding industries.
- The candidate will participate in shared governance, usually in department, college, and university committees and other service assignments.
- The candidate must demonstrate awareness and experience understanding the needs of a student population of great diversity - in age, abilities, cultural background, ethnicity, religion, economic background, primary language, sexual orientation, gender identity, and academic preparation - through inclusive course materials, teaching strategies and advisement.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- letter of interest
- curriculum vitae
- diversity statement - up to two pages long
- statement of teaching interests/philosophy - up to two pages long
- research plans - up to two pages long
- three references with contact information
Inquiries may be directed to the IDE program Director: Dr. Ping Hsu at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Employment is contingent upon proof of eligibility to work in the United States. Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.San José State University: Silicon Valley's Public University
Located in the heart of Silicon Valley - one of the most innovative regions in the world - San José State University
is the founding campus of the 23-campus California State University (CSU) system and the first public university in the West. The 2020 #1 Most Transformative University in the nation according to Money Magazine, San José State is an essential partner in the economic, cultural and social development of Silicon Valley, the Bay Area and California. SJSU is a top-200 school nationally in research funding and second highest in research productivity in the CSU system. This cutting-edge research, combined with its world-class scholarship, student-centered learning opportunities, and experiential and interdisciplinary programs, allows SJSU to provide transformative opportunities that advance the public good locally and globally.Equal Employment Statement
San José State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. This policy applies to all San José State University students, faculty, and staff as well as University programs and activities. Reasonable accommodations are made for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose. Note that all San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled