Caltrain is the commuter rail system serving San Francisco, San Mateo and Santa Clara counties that spans 77 miles and is governed by the Peninsula Corridor Joint Powers Board (PCJPB), which consists of agencies from the three Caltrain counties. Each member agency has three representatives on a nine-member Board of Directors. The member agencies are the City and County of San Francisco, SamTrans and the Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority. Caltrain operates a fleet of 29 locomotives and 123 passenger cars. The average weekday ridership for Caltrain is over 60,000 passengers.
Currently, Caltrain is going through a modernization program, The Peninsula Corridor Electrification Project (PCEP). The electrification of the railway is a transformative change, and this is the most exciting time in the 150 year history of the railway. The primary purpose of the Project is to improve Caltrain system performance, reduce long-term environmental impact by reducing noise, improve regional air quality and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
Rail (Systems Engineering)
APPLICATION DEADLINE CalTrain Continuous Recruitment (Open Until Filled)
Other Information CalTrain
Location: San Carlos, CA
JOB SUMMARY CalTrain
The Manager, Rail Network Engineering reports to the Deputy Director, Systems Engineering and is responsible for the engineering and oversight of the Rail Network for the Peninsula Corridor Joint Powers Board (Caltrain).
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION CalTrain
Sufficient education, training and experience to demonstrate the knowledge and ability to successfully perform the essential functions of the position. Development of the required knowledge and abilities is typically obtained through but not limited to:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or related field.
- Five (5) years professional experience in Network Engineering, Network Security, and/or Network architecture.
- Two (2) years’ experience supervising staff and/or consultants.
- Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP) or similar is preferred.
- Experience working with tools and systems such as Splunk, SolarWinds NMS, VMware, Jira
- Experience working with Ethernet, Routers and Cybersecurity equipment (Cisco, Ruggedcom, and Palo Alto Firewalls) preferred
- Familiarity with NIST 800-82 Framework
- Cloud Integration and deployment
- Project Management methodology (Agile /scrum)
- Effective communication skills both orally and in writing
- Experience with Microsoft Office suite, scheduling software (MS Project or Primavera), requirements management systems, and software configuration tools
- Experience with OT and Control Systems
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS&DUTY CalT
- Manage the configuration, updates, changes, interface management, and integration of the Rail Networks, their subsystems, and assets.
- Responsible for development and update of Caltrain technical specifications and standards for assigned systems.
- Represent Rail Networks for System Integration activities for all Caltrain projects including Caltrain Peninsula Corridor Electrification Project (PCEP), to stake holders and other Rail Network matters as required.
- Responsible for design development, design review, and approval of assigned systems and ensures standardization of Rail Network system design and architecture across different projects.
- Responsible for all documentation of assigned systems, including the book of plans, test plans/procedures, maintenance plans, procedures and network policies, cutover plans, and as-built.
- Responsible for the development of maintenance plans for assigned assets.
- Manage integration of applicable EIC/ISA, IEEE, AREMA, AAR, and MIL standards.
- Supervise staff. Hire, mentor, and take appropriate corrective and/or disciplinary action. Ensure EEO policies and procedures are followed. Participate in selection of staff. Coordinate staff training and professional development. Establish performance objectives. Monitor and evaluate employee performance.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Ensure the delivery of the assigned tasks are on time, on budget, and compliant with Caltrain standards.
- Develop test procedures and engineering work packages.
- Develop and update Rail network equipment maintenance plans.
- Coordinate all Network design, installation, and testing to minimize the impact on operations and to ensure compliance with and Caltrain Standards and Caltrain Cybersecurity requirements.
- Manage Rail Network operations, perform advanced troubleshooting, system usage, and performance analyses.
- Develop and update Rail Network engineering standards, policies, and procedures.
- Identify and resolve Rail Network engineering and technical issues.
- Provide prompt support to Caltrain operations and other engineering teams for matters related to the Rail Network.
- Support Rail Network Cyber Security initiatives.
- Review operating manuals and procedures developed by various system providers or vendors.
- Manage spare part lists and part specifications for Rail Network.
- Manage implementation of Rail Network hardware and software upgrades/updates and associated test plans without interfering with Railroad Operations.
- Perform design reviews for Caltrain and regulatory compliance, constructability, and cost-effectiveness.
- Develop engineering cost estimates related to Rail Network and Operational Technology (OT).
How To Apply CalTrain
- To apply, please visit the www.caltrain.com/about/Jobs.html . Complete an online employment application and if required the supplemental questionnaire. This is a continuous Recruitment (Open Until Filled) . A resume will not be accepted in lieu of the application and supplemental questionnaire. Incomplete application will not be considered.
- The Human Resources Department will make reasonable efforts in the recruitment/examination process to accommodate applicants with disabilities upon request. If you have a need for an accommodation, please contact the Human Resources Department at (650) 508-6308.
- Caltrain celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive, and welcoming workplace environment. We are an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, Women, Persons with Disabilities and Veterans are encouraged to apply.
SELECTION PROCESS INCLUDE:CalT
The process will include a panel interview and may include written and skills test assessments or supplemental questions. Only those candidates who are the most qualified will continue in the selection process. Meeting the minimum qualifications does not guarantee an invitation to continue in the process.
PAY RANGE -CalTrain
$2,117 - $3,176 per week ($110,089- $165,134 estimated annual)
CURRENT EMPLOYMENT BEN:CalT
For further benefit details please go to: https://www.smctd.com/jobs.html#benefits
Holidays: Seven (7) paid holidays, plus up to four (4) floating holidays per year
Time Off: Paid Time Off: 26 days per year
Cafeteria Plans: Medical, dental, vision care, group life insurance, and more
Transportation: Free bus transportation for employees and qualified dependents
Retirement: Social Security and California Public Employees Retirement Systems (CalPERS)
- Classic Members - 2% @ 60 benefit formula, 3 year average of highest compensation
- New Members - 2% @ 62 benefit formula, 3 year average of highest compensation