CSUN strives to be a destination workplace, where everyone understands that they belong to a community that is vital in advancing student success and providing exemplary service to all stakeholders. We foster an environment of success, both for our students and our employees. We have a relentless passion for celebrating diversity, equity, and inclusion as well as being an employer of choice. You will also have the opportunity to realize your own personal goals and be recognized for the work you do, and enjoy the unique value the CSUN community can offer. If this sounds like you, you've come to the right place. Learn more: https://www.csun.edu/about-csun.
Under general supervision, the Postdoctoral Research Assistant will be under the supervision of Professor Ren and Christian. The incumbent will develop the polarimeter instrument for solar high-resolution imaging and solar magnetic field measurements, which involve optical system test, opto-mechanical assembly, and on-site instrument test at the California State University Northridge (CSUN) and the Big Bear Solar Observatory (BBSO).
• Writes scientific manuscripts
• Processes, analyzes, an interprets data
• Performs calculations on the computer cluster/develops mathematical models
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Candidates are required to have a PhD degree in Astronomy, Optics and an excellent record of research in the field.
• Software programming skill, such as the LabVIEW and Matlab coding, is highly desirable.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
• Must be familiar with astronomical or optical instruments.
• Strong research record with publications in peer reviewed journals.
• Ability to mentor students in research
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
• The university offers an excellent benefits package, including but not limited to: medical, dental, vision, retirement & savings, tuition waiver and more.
• Classification: 2351 / Research Fellow
• The anticipated HIRING RANGE: $2,427 - $4,500 per month, dependent upon qualifications and experience. The salary range for this classification is: $2,427 - $16,733 per month.
• HOURS: Full Time; 40 hours per week; Monday through Friday; may include evenings and weekends.
• TEMP: This is a Temporary-renewable position, end date to be determined.
• Applications received through November 25, 2021 will be considered in the initial review and review of applications will continue until position is filled.
• This position is a sensitive position as designated by the CSU.
• A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
• The person holding this position may be considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
• Candidates should apply by completing the CSUN on-line application. To submit an application and for more detailed information on the application and hiring process, please visit this link: www.csun.edu/careers
• CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. To learn more visit our Matadors Forward site: https://www.csun.edu/matadors-forward/faculty-and-staff-fall-guidelines
Equal Employment Opportunity
CSUN is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, and disability. Our nondiscrimination policy is set forth in CSU Executive Order 1096. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting Recruitment Services at 818-677-2101.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled
Los Angeles, California