Description:Position Rank and Title:
Assistant Professor School/Department Name:
Computer Science Compensation:
Commensurate with qualifications, experience, and rank as established by the CSU Salary Schedule
. See Benefits Summary
for details about the CSU's excellent employment benefits. Target Start Date:
August 2022. Application Deadline:
November 30, 2021 (Applications accepted until filled or closed)Position Description The Department of Computer Science
at San José State University invites applications for two tenure-track positions, in Data Science and in Programming Languages and Programming Paradigms, in Fall 2022. The positions will be required to teach a variety of required and elective courses in Computer Science and in Data Science, and ideally should have research that is related to Data Science or to Programming Languages and Programming Paradigms. The Department of Computer Science
offers BS and MS in Computer Science . We also offer MS in Data Science (jointly with Dept. of Math/Stat), MS in Bioinformatics, and BS in Software Engineering (jointly with Dept. of Computer Engineering). In addition, we have proposed to offer a BS in Data Science to begin in Fall 2022. The faculty members are excellent teacher scholars with rich publication records in the areas of machine learning, information security, mobile networking, social networks, bioinformatics, etc. The Department, including both faculty and students, enjoys rich interaction and collaboration with Silicon Valley. We have recently received a Best Practice Implementation Grant
from the Center for Inclusive Computing to increase the representation of women and under- represented minorities in undergraduate computing. The Department of Computer Science
and San José State University value diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging. Our excellence in research, teaching, and service can only be fully realized by faculty, students, and staff who share our commitment to these values. SJSU enrolls more than 36,000 students, many of whom are historically underserved, and around 45% are first-generation and 38% are Pell-recipients. SJSU is a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander (AANAPISI) Serving Institution. The university's commitment to social justice extends from its vibrant, inclusive campus to an international network of over 275,000 alumni. As such, San José State is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty so our disciplines, students, and the community can benefit from multiple ethnic and gender perspectives.
Successful candidates will demonstrate evidence of a commitment to equity and inclusion through their research, teaching, and/or service. We ask that all applicants include a Diversity Statement with their application package. A guide to writing this statement can be found at SJSU Diversity Statement Guidelines
, along with information about how these statements will be evaluated.
- Applicants must have earned their Ph.D. in Computer Science or a closely related field, and have demonstrated excellence in teaching and scholarship.
- Applicants should demonstrate an awareness of and sensitivity to the educational goals of a socially and economically diverse student population as might have been gained in cross-cultural study, training, teaching, and other comparable experience.
Priority will be given to candidates who possess one or more of the following:
- Teaching, research, and/or industry experience in the following areas: Data Science, Interdisciplinary Data Science, Programing Languages and Programming Paradigms, Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, and related areas.
- The department's faculty members are expected to teach, supervise, and advise students in both the undergraduate and graduate programs, and to establish a successful research program related to their field of interest.
- The candidate will participate in shared governance, usually in department, college, and university committees and other service assignments.
- The candidate must demonstrate awareness and experience understanding the needs of a student population of great diversity - in age, abilities, cultural background, ethnicity, religion, economic background, primary language, sexual orientation, gender identity, and academic preparation - through inclusive course materials, teaching strategies and advisement.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- letter of interest
- curriculum vitae
- diversity statement
- statement of teaching interests/philosophy
- research plans
- three references with contact information or three references we may contact for letters
Inquiries may be directed to:
Melody Moh, Professor and Chair: Melody.Moh "AT" SJSU.EDU
- Subject: RecruitmentConditional Offer
Employment is contingent upon proof of eligibility to work in the United States. Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
San José State University: Silicon Valley's Public University
Located in the heart of Silicon Valley - one of the most innovative regions in the world - San José State University
is the founding campus of the 23-campus California State University (CSU) system and the first public university in the West. The 2020 #1 Most Transformative University in the nation according to Money Magazine, San José State is an essential partner in the economic, cultural and social development of Silicon Valley, the Bay Area and California. SJSU is a top-200 school nationally in research funding and second highest in research productivity in the CSU system. This cutting-edge research, combined with its world-class scholarship, student-centered learning opportunities, and experiential and interdisciplinary programs, allows SJSU to provide transformative opportunities that advance the public good locally and globally.Equal Employment Statement
San José State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. This policy applies to all San José State University students, faculty, and staff as well as University programs and activities.
Reasonable accommodations are made for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose. Note that all San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled