Job#: 22/23 BPA 01
Position: Tenure-Track Assistant Professor of Accounting
Type: Tenure Track
Academic Year: 2022/2023
Available: August 2022
Location: Department of Accounting and Finance
School of Business and Public Administration
California State University, Bakersfield
9001 Stockdale Highway
Bakersfield, CA 93311-1022
Contact: Department Administrative Support Coordinator
Department of Accounting and Finance
Deadline: Complete applications received by November 29, 2021 will receive full consideration. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. The search will continue until position is filled.
University Background: California State University, Bakersfield (CSUB), founded in 1970, is a regional, comprehensive university serving the southern San Joaquin Valley of California. CSUB's service area covers nearly 25,000 square miles and is home to a socially and ethnically diverse population of over 11,000 students. CSUB is the only four-year degree granting institution within a 100-mile radius. Due to this, CSUB has a vital role in the educational obtainment, economic development, and quality of life within the region. The accolades CSUB has received include Washington Monthly's #2 Best Bang for the Buck for Western Colleges (2018), Washington Monthly's #6 Best Affordable Elite Colleges and #17 out of 200 for Graduate Schools, and "A Top Public School" by US News and World Report (2019). CSUB serves 9,800 undergraduate students and 1,400 graduate, credential, and post-baccalaureate students. 63.5% of CSUB's students are Hispanic/Latinx, 4.9% are African American, 0.2% are Hawaiian/Pacific Islander, 0.5% are American Indian/Alaskan Native, 7.1% are Asian, and 2.3% are multiracial. CSUB is a federally designated Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI).
Commitment to Diversity: The Department of Accounting and Finance within the School of Business and Public Administration at CSUB is committed to academic and inclusive excellence and diversity within the faculty, staff, and student body."
School Information: The School of Business and Public Administration (BPA) at California State University, Bakersfield offers six bachelor degree programs with 13 concentration areas and three master degree programs. In recognition of the school's commitment to quality, the bachelor's and master's degree programs in Business Administration are accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business International (AACSB), which places CSUB in the top 5 percent of business schools worldwide. The Master of Public Administration program is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Public Affairs and Administration (NASPAA). CSUB's school of BPA offers the only AACSB- or NASPAA-accredited programs in Kern County.
Department Information: Department of Accounting and Finance is within the School of Business and Public Accounting and offers concentrations in both accounting and finance areas. The accounting program helps prepare students for a variety of career opportunities in public accounting, private accounting, and governmental accounting. It also helps prepare students for various professional certifications, such as the Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), and Certified Management Accountant (CMA) certifications.
Position Description: The Department of Accounting & Finance in the School of Business & Public Administration at California State University Bakersfield invites applications for a tenure-track position as an assistant professor of accounting starting the fall semester of 2022. This position will be responsible for delivering (teaching, revising, developing) courses that provide business majors with fundamental accounting knowledge and accounting majors with the basic curricular needs to support careers as CPAs, management accountants, forensic accountants, etc. in our AACSB-accredited institution. This position has major teaching responsibilities at both the main campus (Bakersfield, CA) and the Antelope Valley campus (Lancaster, CA).
• Candidates are required to have an earned doctorate (Ph.D. or DBA) in Accountancy or an earned doctorate (Ph.D. or DBA) in the Business Administration with concentration in Accountancy with substantial knowledge in the U.S. GAAP from an AACSB accredited institution; however, applicants nearing completion of the doctorate (ABD) may be considered (for continued employment in the tenure track position, the doctorate must be completed by August 01, 2023)
• Candidates must be committed to teaching excellence and teaching undergraduates from diverse socioeconomic, cultural, and academic backgrounds, including first-generation students
• Candidates must have strong communication skills and competency in teaching and using current education technologies
• Candidates must have an established scholarly record or the potential for a scholarly record consistent with AACSB standards established here at CSUB School of Business and Public Administration.
• Although training and/or teaching experience in one or more of the following areas: Auditing, Tax, Accounting Information Systems and Data Analytics is preferred, candidates with other specialties will also be considered
• Related professional certifications, such as CPA, CMA, and CIA
• Related work experience in an accounting-related position (e.g., experience in public accounting, private industry, or government position).
• Interested candidates should electronically submit a cover letter detailing how they meet these requirements, CV, teaching philosophy, example of scholarship, sample of recent teaching evaluations, and a list of three references with contact information
• In the statement of teaching philosophy, please include a statement about fostering an inclusive classroom
• Please submit all application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org
Compensation: Commensurate with experience and qualifications. CSUB offers a generous benefit package (e.g. excellent health, dental, vision, and retirement benefits).
Background Check: A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Mandated Reported: The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Clery Act: CSUB's annual crime report includes statistics for the previous three years concerning reported crimes that occurred on campus, in certain off-campus centers, such as our Antelope Valley Satellite Campus and on property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from CSUB. The report also includes policies concerning security on campus, such as alcohol and drug use, crime prevention, reporting crimes, sexual assault, and other subjects. Additionally, a daily log of offenses is maintained and can be reviewed at the front desk of the Department of Public Safety. You can obtain a copy of the annual report by contacting their department at (661) 654-2111 or by logging on to their website at: https://www.csub.edu/compliance/Clery.
EEO Statement: CSUB is committed to Equal Employment. Opportunity. Applicants will be considered without regard to gender, race, age, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, disability or covered veterans' status.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled