The City of Riverside is accepting applications for the position of Instrument Technician
to fill one (1) vacancy in theSewer-Electrical & Instrumentation Division
of the Public Works Department.
The eligibility list established may be used to fill the current and/or upcoming vacancies within this classification for up to six (6) months.
This is an exciting opportunity for a motivated wastewater professional. The Riverside Water Quality Control Plant is located at 5950 Acorn Street Riverside, CA 92504. The City recently completed a $192 million dollar modernization of the 46 MGD wastewater facility. The project included advanced treatment systems and new technology. This plant expansion introduced several new technologies designed to produce high quality effluent water and increase the plant's efficiency.
Under general supervision, Instrument Technician is to perform skilled electrical and electronic work in the maintenance, repair and calibration of automatic and manual metering, telemetering, control and alarm systems and equipment; and to do related work as required.***First review of applications is October 28th and every two weeks thereafter, until the position is filled.***
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Troubleshoot problems in electrical and electronic systems, reading and interpreting blueprints, wire diagrams and schematics, and utilizing a variety of test equipment.
- Test, clean, repair, rebuild and calibrate metering and telemetering equipment.
- Test, clean, repair, calibrate and reprogram microprocessor and instrumentation systems and equipment.
- Maintain, repair and balance electronic systems for variable speed pump controls.
- Maintain and repair electrical and electronic operational control, recording and alarm systems and equipment.
Qualifications Recruitment Guidelines:
Education: Equivalent to completion of the twelfth grade supplemented by completion of a certificate program in electronics.
Experience: Three years' experience in electrical and electronic instrumentation system installation, maintenance and repair, preferably involving water or wastewater plant treatment processes.Necessary Special Requirement
Possession of or ability to obtain an appropriate, valid California motor vehicle operator's license. Highly Desirable Qualifications:
- Current Grade II Electrical/ Instrumentation Technologist certification issued by the California Water Environment Association (CWEA)
- Experience operating a Programmable Logic Controller (PLC)
- PLC experience in installation, troubleshooting, and programming
- Experience operating SCADA software
Selection Process DOCUMENTS REQUIRED AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION: 1)
Completed Employment Application 2)
Completed Supplemental Questionnaire 3)
Certification in Electronics and/or Current Grade II Electrical/ Instrumentation Technologist Certificate (must be scanned and attached to the online application). PLEASE NOTE: THE CERTIFICATION REQUIRED MUST BE SCANNED AND ATTACHED TO THE ONLINE APPLICATION. THE SYSTEM WILL NOT ALLOW AN APPLICATION TO BE SUBMITTED WITHOUT THE REQUIRED ATTACHMENT. FOR DIRECTIONS ON ATTACHING A DOCUMENT TO AN ON-LINE APPLICATION, OR GENERAL INFORMATION ON COMPLETING YOUR ON-LINE APPLICATION, CLICK HERE: ( Application Guide). IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON SCHEDULING ASSESSMENTS:
If you are selected to move forward in the assessment process, you may be required to self-schedule your appointment. You will be notified via email of your status and provided with self-scheduling instructions. Please check your email regularly following the closing date of this recruitment.
The selection process will begin with an employment application package screening, with the best qualified candidates being invited to participate further in the assessment process. This process may include any combination of written, performance, and oral assessments to evaluate job-related education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities. Those who successfully complete the selection process will be placed on the eligibility list for this classification.
It is the responsibility of candidates with a disability requiring accommodation in the assessment process to contact the Human Resources Department in writing to request such accommodation prior to the closing date of this recruitment.
Appointment may be subject to the successful completion of a pre-employment background investigation, drug screen, and/or medical/physical examination. NOTE
: The City reserves the right to modify selection devices and test instruments in accordance with accepted legal, ethical, and professional standards. Candidates may reapply when there is a posting to establish an eligibility list. EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
Proof of education listed in your application will be requested at the time of conditional offer. Acceptable documentation consists of transcripts or degree, if applicable, by the accredited U.S. college or university.
Education obtained outside the United States (US) require one of the following options:
All applicants will be notified via e-mail or telephone of their application status and the assessment dates/times/locations after the closing date of this announcement. THE PROVISIONS OF THIS JOB ANNOUNCEMENT DO NOT CONSTITUTE AN EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED CONTRACT.
- An equivalency statement from an evaluation company certified by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) at http://www.naces.org/members.html or the Association of International Credential Evaluators Inc. (AICE) at http://aice-eval.org/members/.
- An advanced-level degree from an accredited US college or university.