College of Business and Economics
Department of Finance, Law & Real Estate
Position: Assistant Professor of Finance
Starting Date: August, 2022
1. An earned doctorate (Ph.D.) in Finance or other closely-related discipline from an AACSB- accredited institution is required; however, applicants nearing completion of the doctorate (ABD) may be considered. For appointment, the doctorate must be completed by the date of appointment (08/18/2022);
2. Experience (research, teaching, and/or work experience) in Corporate Finance, General Finance, Investments, international Finance, and Real Estate Finance;
3. Evidence of current scholarly research (e.g., dissertation, publications in scholarly journals) in finance or related areas;
4. Evidence of successful teaching experience at the undergraduate level; and
5. Ability to demonstrate a commitment to working effectively with faculty, staff, and students in a multicultural/multiethnic urban campus environment with a substantial population of first-generation students.
1. Preference will be given to applicants with specialization in Corporate Finance (research, teaching, and/or work experience);
2. Secondary specialization (research, teaching, and/or work experience) in General Finance, Investments, international Finance, and Real Estate Finance;
3. Evidence of successful teaching experience in Finance at the graduate level; and
4. Evidence of industry experience in Finance.
The primary professional responsibilities of instructional faculty members are: teaching, research, scholarship and/or creative activity, and service to the University, profession and to the community. These responsibilities generally include: advising students, participation in campus and system-wide committees, maintaining office hours, working collaboratively and productively with colleagues, and participation in traditional academic functions.
The successful candidate will be able to teach a variety of finance courses at the undergraduate and graduate levels. Faculty are expected to maintain currency in the field through research and publication in academic journals and are expected to maintain AACSB scholarly academic (SA) status based on the College's SA requirements.
The successful candidate will be committed to the academic success of all of our students and to an environment that acknowledges, encourages, and celebrates diversity and differences. To this end, the successful candidate will work effectively, respectfully, and collaboratively in diverse, multicultural, and inclusive settings. In addition, the successful candidate will be ready to join faculty, staff, students, and administrators in our University's shared commitment to the principles of engagement, service, and the public good.
Salary: Initial salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
California State University, Los Angeles (Cal State LA) is one of 23 campuses within the California State University system. The University is the premier comprehensive public university in the heart of Los Angeles. Cal State LA is ranked number one in the U.S. for the upward mobility of its students, and is dedicated to engagement, service, and the public good. We offer nationally recognized programs in science, the arts, business, criminal justice, engineering, nursing, education, ethnic studies, and the humanities. Our faculty have a strong commitment to scholarship, research, creative pursuits, community engagement, and service.
Our 240,000 alumni reflect the City and County's dynamic mix of populations. The University has one of the most diverse student populations of any college or university in the nation. As a federally recognized Hispanic-Serving Institution, and Asian-American, Native American, and Pacific Islander-Serving Institution, Cal State LA recognizes the transformative power of education and embraces its duty to identify and serve the needs of all of its students. The University is committed to creating a community in which a diverse population can live, work and learn in an atmosphere of civility and respect for the rights and sensibilities of each individual.
The College of Business and Economic (http://www.calstatela.edu/business) offers undergraduate degree programs in Business Administration, Computer Information Systems, and economics, and five graduate degree programs (MBA, MS Accountancy, MA Economics, MS Healthcare Management, and MS Information Systems. Eighty full time faculty members and over 100 contributing lecturers bring a mix of knowledge and practice to our nearly 5,000 students. The College's programs are fully accredited by AACSB International.
The Department of Finance, Law and Real Estate offers options in Finance, Real Estate, and Business Arts-Prelegal for the Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration. These options enable students to prepare for finance, real estate, and legal careers. The department also offers Finance and Real Estate options for both the Master of Science (MS) degree in Business Administration and the Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree, which are designed to enhance career and advancement opportunities for individuals employed in these fields. The department also offers certificate programs in Finance and in Real Estate that are designed for students who are majoring in other fields and who would benefit from coursework in these areas.
Please submit the following to the Search Committee Chair at the email address below:
1) A cover letter specifically addressing minimum and preferred qualifications.
2) A narrative statement describing your commitment to working effectively with faculty, staff, and students in a multicultural/multiethnic urban campus environment with a substantial population of students who are among the first-generation of their family to attend a college or university.
3) A curriculum vitae.
4) A list of three professional references.
5) A University Application for Employment Form (https://www.calstatela.edu/sites/default/files/groups/Human%20Resources%20Management/forms/empl_application_academic_2017_11_28.pdf)
Finalists will be required to submit:
Three current letters of recommendation.
Employment is contingent upon proof of eligibility to work in the United States.
Review of applications will begin November 18, 2021, and will continue until the position is filled.
Please email all application materials in a single PDF to Finance_Recruitment@calstatela.edu. Please type "Finance Recruitment Tenure-Track Application" in the subject line. If sending your application via hard copy, applications must be received by the application review deadline. Address required documentation and/or requests for information to: Finance Faculty Search, C/O Liliana Lopez, College of Business and Economics, Staff Support Services, California State University, Los Angeles 5151 State University Drive Simpson Tower F517 Los Angeles, CA 90032-8120.
Please address all questions to the search committee chair (Dr. Ramin Maysami) at: Finance_Recruitment@calstatela.edu.
Note: The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to OfficeHRM@calstatela.edu
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
In addition to meeting fully its obligations under federal and state law, Cal State LA is committed to creating a community in which a diverse population can live, work and learn in an atmosphere of tolerance, civility and respect for the rights and sensibilities of each individual. To that end, all qualified individuals will receive equal consideration without regard to economic status, race, ethnicity, color, religion, marital status, pregnancy, national origin or cultural background, political views, sex, sexual orientation, gender identification, age, disability, disabled veteran or Vietnam era veteran status.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/TITLE IX EMPLOYER
Upon request, reasonable accommodation will be provided to individuals with protected disabilities to (a) complete the employment process and (b) perform essential job functions when this does not cause undue hardship.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled
Los Angeles, California